BANGKOK 18 November 2018 21:31
Jonathan Fairfield

Minivan driver, just 18, sleeps at the wheel - many family members injured

15 hours ago, Get Real said:

just put a law that says a public, or goods transporter ain´t allowed to drive more than 4 hours atthe time, with a minimum breaktime of 2 hours. They can manage to do that in other countries, which do not have the same carnage on the roads.

Another law? It would be good what you say but you think Thais would abide by it and the police re-enforce it? The only laws the police like enforcing are the ones where there is easy money to be made eg Cig butts on beach, feeding fish, 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Mini-vans are not death traps... suicidal drivers are the problem

Given that you have suicidal drivers then mini-vans are death traps; I can't choose who my driver is, I can choose whether to get in a mini-van or not; a lot of Thais don't have this luxury; part of the problem really, some Thais, the decision makers, do.

5 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

having a bit of trouble with MapQuest showing the route and directions, but looks like about a 30 km drive?  The driver couldn't stay awake for one hour or so?  What time of day were they driving?  Did they try a 5 AM early rise thing?

320 km, 4 to 5 hours.

1 hour ago, nausea said:

Given that you have suicidal drivers then mini-vans are death traps; I can't choose who my driver is, I can choose whether to get in a mini-van or not; a lot of Thais don't have this luxury; part of the problem really, some Thais, the decision makers, do.

With you there nausea , sure a minibus is safe when parked up , a mouse trap is safe 'til cheese is put in it , as someone posted above  ' I would be awake the whole journey '

I wouldn't go in a minibus nor one of those colourful big buggers , I would rather walk .

One seems to have a better chance to survive with a stroll on a street in Syria or Irak, rather then taking a ride in a Thai minivan !!

Edited by observer90210

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:42 PM, Happy enough said:

it is a bit to do with the van too though. look how crumpled up it is. they are bloody death traps. they should be illegal. they should get some vans that are designed to carry people not goods. btw i thought 18 was an adult

Just which van would you recommend, or anything else for that matter, that wins when hitting a tree?  All these quarterback assumptions clearly show most of us know nothing of which we condemn as death traps.  Maybe all families should rent tanks to travel in.  Would you like to see that?

12 minutes ago, Bigfarang1948 said:

Just which van would you recommend, or anything else for that matter, that wins when hitting a tree?  All these quarterback assumptions clearly show most of us know nothing of which we condemn as death traps.  Maybe all families should rent tanks to travel in.  Would you like to see that?

cramming people into the back of converted good vans will see more injuries than if in a van that was designed to carry passengers in my opinion. now i'm not going scouring looking for an appropriate model but you should get my drift

That is what I was thinking.  Every time I have been in a transport van, I have sat next row back on his left so I can see the dash.  On more than one occasion I have taken photos in a fashion noted by the driver and asked or insisted they slow down.  Guess that is not normal, but I never did fit into that group.  If I am going to die, I am least going to protest a bit.