Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
WesternRobby

Valid pronunciations of 'กวน'

Hey,

I'm a new Thai learner and I'm struggling a little with the alphabet. Are both  'gwon' and 'guaan' valid pronunciations for the word 'กวน'? We can interpret it as an initial cluster and a hidden vowel or an initial consonant and 'อัว'.

'Guaan' seems to be the valid pronunciation according to the dictionary, but is there a rule for which pronunciation one would use in this case?

Hey,

I'm a new Thai learner and I'm struggling a little with the alphabet. Are both  'gwon' and 'guaan' valid pronunciations for the word 'กวน'? We can interpret it as an initial cluster and a hidden vowel or an initial consonant and 'อัว'.

'Guaan' seems to be the valid pronunciation according to the dictionary, but is there a rule for which pronunciation one would use in this case?

As no guru's have answered, I'll have a go: kwon or kwan, I don't know where you get the 'g' from, but I'm no EXerPert.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

EDIT

What's the context? Have you got the sentance?

The pronunciation is "kuan" not "kwon". There is no way of knowing by just looking at the spelling.

However you unintentionally raise an interesting point. For words like กวาง กวาด, the pronunciation is of course 'kwaang' and 'kwaat' but some North Eastern speakers when speaking Central Thai go with 'kuang' and 'kuat'. This is a case of their accent impingeing on their pronunciation of Central or 'Standard' Thai.

There are a number of vowels that change their shape when followed by a final consonant. 

อัว is one of them, it changes to xวx (where the x's are consonants)

so it's still the same vowel ua, just with a different look. 

Same goes for:

อะ - อัx

เอะ - เอ็x

etc. 

Thanks for the responses.

thai-language.com pronounces it with an initial 'g' which is where I got that from. My problem was that:

* กว + โ-ะ  + น

* ก + อัว + น

Are both valid ways of interpreting 'กวน'. I guess it's normal to have a little bit of ambiguity in a language

WesternRobby, I think that if there is a rule then it is to look for a vowel.

You have found the vowel เอาะ I think.

In words of two consonants รบ กบ ระบบ you can find เอาะ but here you have three consonants กวน So I think that the only vowel possible is อัว.

This may be a useful rule but please don't hesitate to point out any examples which you may know or find where this rule doesn't seem to work.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

edit: quickly before I get corrected!

The vowel you found is โอะ , I was mulling over what I had written and thought of the word รถ.

goo-wan

No hidden vowels in that sara 'oowaa'

Edited by MaeJoMTB

53 minutes ago, WesternRobby said:

thai-language.com pronounces it with an initial 'g' which is where I got that from. My problem was that:

* กว + โ-ะ  + น

* ก + อัว + น

Are both valid ways of interpreting 'กวน'. I guess it's normal to have a little bit of ambiguity in a language

No ambiguity  * ก + อัว + น is the only option.

30 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

but here you have three consonants กวน So I think that the only vowel possible is อัว.

No, there is only 2 consonants in that word, อัว is a vowel.

No, there is only 2 consonants in that word, อัว is a vowel.

I know that, you misunderstand me. I am trying to see it from the poster's viewpoint, he has found three consonants. This is one step towards what you already know which he has yet to learn.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

* กว + โ-ะ  + น

* ก + อัว + น

Sorry if I seem to underestimate your knowledge I didn't see this post because I was replying to your original post.

กว+โอะ+น if such a word existed would have to be written โกวน wouldn't it?

How come I have to post before the EXerPerts?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

If you want to study some irregular word

i find it good to look up a similiar word you already know and see what differences

To me the sound byte they give for กวน sound a bit like อ้วน...but with no vowel of falling tone and add a gor gai in front.

The op dont really need to guess how to say กวน cause he can hear the sound byte.

What he want (i think) is a theory to read the different word

I just studied this myself and noticed the word 

กว้าน  which they translate "gwaan"

Where if you look at the difference you will either understand better 

Or be more confused!

It was posted when I was running in the park. I saw only your reply when I opened the topic while I was getting my breakfast. Posted my reply without refreshing the page which contained stuff which WesternRobby already knew or had been told.

I don’t think much of the iPad or maybe the app.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Typical; this is an answer to carlyai another post has crept in between.

If you want to study some irregular word

i find it good to look up a similiar word you already know and see what differences

To me the sound byte they give for กวน sound a bit like อ้วน...but with no vowel of falling tone and add a gor gai in front.

The op dont really need to guess how to say กวน cause he can hear the sound byte.
What he want (i think) is a theory to read the different word

I just studied this myself and noticed the word 
กว้าน  which they translate "gwaan"
Where if you look at the difference you will either understand better 
Or be more confused!

If you look for a vowel you find สระ อา.
Confusion shouldn’t arise in any letter other than อ which is both vowel and consonant. I would say that more often than not อ is not said as a consonant in words of more than one syllable. One needs to know the word or look it up in the dictionary when encountered to know whether it is said as a consonant or not.