webfact

Rescuing boys from Thailand's northern sex trade

Rescuing boys from Thailand's northern sex trade

by Clare Wiley

Chiang Mai, Thailand - Krit hangs out near McDonald's most days, polishing the hood of his green tuk-tuk and waiting for customers. He can make as much as 3,000 Thai baht ($92) in a day driving tourists around this northern city.

Several years ago when Krit was just 16, this picture was very different. His customers were still Western tourists, but they went to him for sex, not tuk-tuk rides. Krit was a victim of Thailand's sex-trafficking trade. For five years he worked in seedy bars and dingy massage joints in Chiang Mai's red light district. He endured cruelty and exploitation, forced to go home with the men who venture to these dark places to buy sex with children.

It was a horrific life that forced Krit to the brink; the teen was later hospitalised with HIV, and almost died. But he made a miraculous recovery and went on to set up his own tuk-tuk business.

Full story: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/12/rescuing-boys-thailand-northern-sex-trade-171210184544070.html

-- AL JAZEERA 2017-12-11

The screening of sexual predators should be more stringent ! Most of the victims have little protection from exploitation.....driven by poverty and hopelessness...increased penalties,  going on international sex register for easier recognition.....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mentalcolonization said:

That's what farangs are made of. Destroying kids

Not just "farang"! :coffee1:

• Like 1

Farang is only a very small part of the problem, white westerners don't have a monopoly on this sort of thing, neither are they anywhere near to having a significant presence here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mentalcolonization said:

That's what farangs are made of. Destroying kids

O please, majority of the Thai sex industry is focused on Thais

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, moe666 said:

I have to wonder where this red light district is located in Chiang mai. I live here and have been to Loy Khrok a few times and never have I saw young boys sitting in the laps of westerners. Maybe there is an area this happens in but in my years here never seen it.

Having lived in the area Loi Kroh,, must have been to every bar along that road and I know quite a lot of the bar owners and also many of the bargirls (not as a customer BTW ) and I have never seen any males working in the bars, let along any underage males , and I ve also never seen any underage girls working in the bars , if it does go on, then its underground and not visible.

Loi Kroh is for tourists and resident expats, although there is some of what is being discussed there. The red light district in Chiang Mai isn't just one central area it's something that is spread across everywhere in a way that you probably couldn't really identify it as such, a couple of bars here, a karaoke or two there, and so on. The same is largely true throughout Thailand, there are areas where a westerner will identify with the traditional red light area as seen in Amsterdam for example but in most towns and cities the real red light district is a thin veneer that is almost everywhere and the average westerner probably wouldn't recognise it if he was standing in the middle of it. Behind D2, on the narrow road that runs parallel with Night Bazaar, is a cluster of five or six bars, the two in the front are straight bars for tourists who want a beer after shopping, the ones behind are nastiness personified.

1 hour ago, barmatt said:

I call BS. Contracted HIV then survived ?? A fairy tale with happy ending.

The survival rates of people with HIV now equal about the same as the rest of the general population.

• Like 1