webfact

Rescuing boys from Thailand's northern sex trade

2 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Given that Night Bazzar is a major tourist centre I think it's pretty safe to say that such things do still go on, the article seems to suggest it does and I can only agree. It is after all prostitution which is not just limited to females selling themselves in the bars of loi kroh.

I think that it doesnt .

I quite often walk past those bars within the night bazaar and the bars customers are mostly Thai guys drinking socially , nearly all the bars within the complex opened and closed withing a year , due to lack of custom , I counted 25 bars which had opened and closed within a year .

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

I think that it doesnt .

I quite often walk past those bars within the night bazaar and the bars customers are mostly Thai guys drinking socially , nearly all the bars within the complex opened and closed withing a year , due to lack of custom , I counted 25 bars which had opened and closed within a year .

You must spend a lot of time on Loi Kroh to know those things!

Edited by simoh1490
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

You must spend a lot of time on Loi Kroh to know those things!

I do, yes , its where I live and I quite often go to  the NB for a feed , walking along LK , past the night bazaar bars onto food area

Edited by sanemax

6 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Ah....now I understand.

I now hope that you understand why I object to people making false allegations about the area .

The allegation that you made is completely untrue 

• Thanks 1

I was just having a look on the internet to see what articles or data exists on this subject to help cement the true answer and I cam across this:

"Around the gay bars behind Chiang Mai’s Night Bazaar, known locally as sleaze alley, young immigrants in Chiang Mai, Thailand find work in the underground sex industry which has become a magnet here for foreign pedophiles. One of the boys interviewed tells how he was coerced into the sex industry at only twelve years old".

http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/2013/child-sex-abuse-and-trafficking-in-chiang-mai/

The article is worth reading, especially since it says, "For those who don’t believe child sex abuse goes on in the paradise city of Chiang Mai, or who like to bury their heads in the sand, this report gives some details." 

2 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I was just having a look on the internet to see what articles or data exists on this subject to help cement the true answer and I cam across this:

"Around the gay bars behind Chiang Mai’s Night Bazaar, known locally as sleaze alley, young immigrants in Chiang Mai, Thailand find work in the underground sex industry which has become a magnet here for foreign pedophiles. One of the boys interviewed tells how he was coerced into the sex industry at only twelve years old".

http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/2013/child-sex-abuse-and-trafficking-in-chiang-mai/

The article is worth reading, especially since it says, "For those who don’t believe child sex abuse goes on in the paradise city of Chiang Mai, or who like to bury their heads in the sand, this report gives some details." 

Although that report is from 2013 and all the bars in that area have been closed down .

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I do walk past that area a few times per week on the way to the Kalare food area and I hadnt noticed anything untoward there, so, I went there tonight for a closer look and there are no gay bars there in the area , all the bars on the Foxy lady side of the street have gone, its now a car park and all the bars inside the night bazaar have all closed down and all that is left is a few bars , open bars, facing the street , everything legitimate.

I have found out , that after further research into the people,organizations and stories that I come to a different conclusion than what is presented here.

19 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing. 

53 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing. 

The article is outdated.

These bars are long gone.. close down.  There are no bars, gay, straight, or otherwise there now.  Its a parking lot and some restaurants.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

The article is outdated.

These bars are long gone.. close down.  There are no bars, gay, straight, or otherwise there now.  Its a parking lot and some restaurants.  

Yes, but the article mentioned in the OP is about what happened several years ago, and the tuk tuk driver is very much still alive.

... Several years ago when Krit was just 16, this picture was very different. His customers were still Western tourists, but they went to him for sex, not tuk-tuk rides. Krit was a victim of Thailand's sex-trafficking trade. For five years he worked in seedy bars and dingy massage joints in Chiang Mai's red light district. ...

The bars may be long gone but the experience is still very real so no, I would say the article is not outdated. Some may not see the relevance and a few seem to be getting wound up about their favorite bit of their chosen, genteel retirement haven of Chiang Mai being called for harboring something vile. Others dismiss it off hand simply because some buildings and businesses no longer exist. More likely, it has simply moved to where they don't "walk past that area a few times per week."

On 12/12/2017 at 11:09 AM, Paagai said:

It's ironic that their success story involves a bar boy turned tuk-tuk driver, who I'm sure is a great guy and deserves good things and some reqard in life.  In one of the more recent big pedo busts in Chiang Mai the bar boy turned tuk tuk guy was the villain:  ...

The irony is that the tuk-tuk "villain" arrested in 2013 was 21 years old at the time. I wouldn't rule out that he too was probably a victim of the same depravity in his younger teens but chose to use his experience a little differently.

This being Thailand and all.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, but the article mentioned in the OP is about what happened several years ago, and the tuk tuk driver is very much still alive.

The bars may be long gone but the experience is still very real so no, I would say the article is not outdated. Some may not see the relevance and a few seem to be getting wound up about their favorite bit of their chosen, genteel retirement haven of Chiang Mai being called for harboring something vile. Others dismiss it off hand simply because some buildings and businesses no longer exist. More likely, it has simply moved to where they don't "walk past that area a few times per week."

The irony is that the tuk-tuk "villain" arrested in 2013 was 21 years old at the time. I wouldn't rule out that he too was probably a victim of the same depravity in his younger teens but chose to use his experience a little differently.

This being Thailand and all.

So why is this foundation saying its got lots of abused human trafficked underage sex trade boys in youth centres and appealing for more money and help?

Clearly this situation no longer happening in CM.  The bars have gone, the boys have gone, the tuk tuk driver is grown up and has a new life.  His HIV virus has magically vanished.. probably thanks to god and prayer.

Teenage boys or girls... 16 - 19.. you think that is underage depravity?  That is not child abuse.  

I stated the bars have moved.  There were many of them.. now there are only 2.  They no longer have that reputation.  They are just gay bars, with some male prostitutes hanging about to get customers.  No difference to what the straight bars with bar girls are doing.

I think the real purpose of this foundation is to give a few farang people a nice easy life in Thailand, paid for by donations from misled people.  They are also likely a Christian organisation with the real mission to convert 'rescued' Thai boys to Christianity, which is probably more damaging to the boys, Thai culture and society than some teenager hookers making money form some gullible old farang men. 

• Like 2