Jump to content
Technical Difficulties Read more... ×
BANGKOK 16 December 2018 08:28
webfact

Rescuing boys from Thailand's northern sex trade

Recommended Posts

I find it very hard to believe the whole business just evaporated, more probable that it moved a short distance, a different location(s), took on a different guise. When you think about female adult prostitution in CM and you recall all the different news stories that have appeared over the years, the industry remakes itself, sometimes into restaurants where the waitresses are the main course, sometimes a karaoke, who knows what else. And no Sanamex, I am not suggesting that it remains in your street, just that it is still around, the odds against it being eradicated are slim.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

 

 The bars may be long gone but the experience is still very real so no, I would say the article is not outdated. Some may not see the relevance and a few seem to be getting wound up about their favorite bit of their chosen, genteel retirement haven of Chiang Mai being called for harboring something vile. Others dismiss it off hand simply because some buildings and businesses no longer exist. More likely, it has simply moved to where they don't "walk past that area a few times per week."

 

The article is indeed outdated , it is about what happened in 2009.

As you seem to be referring to me , I did also state that if it does still go on, then its underground, not in public view .

   The article suggests that CM is some kind of pedo haven , with kids on the streets and in bars selling themselves . 

   That is a complete fallacy , it doesnt happen .

If there is an issue with that, why doesnt the article name the bars ?

I do object to articles like this for the reason that pedos will read it and then flock to CM

The OP article should be filled under "Eroticism for Arabs"

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I find it very hard to believe the whole business just evaporated, more probable that it moved a short distance, a different location(s), took on a different guise. When you think about female adult prostitution in CM and you recall all the different news stories that have appeared over the years, the industry remakes itself, sometimes into restaurants where the waitresses are the main course, sometimes a karaoke, who knows what else. And no Sanamex, I am not suggesting that it remains in your street, just that it is still around, the odds against it being eradicated are slim.  

Maybe more probable that the business dried up as the police and other authorities made this trade more difficult, and the men that used to come here to abuse boys have been caught, moved on to easier places, died, etc.

 

The bars got less and less busy.  No business... and so closed down.  A few of the old bars reopened in various places to cater for the normal average gay tourists, but the numbers were not enough, so more bars closed.  

 

There are probably now more of the abuse problem in the Thai community where we won't see it.  Again, that is up to authorities to stop.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I find it very hard to believe the whole business just evaporated, more probable that it moved a short distance, a different location(s), took on a different guise. 

Could be that all the kids involved grew up and no one took their place ?

Bars and other establishments do get raided and closed down for having underage drinkers and workers , although even those people are 16 + , and people do get arrested for having underage people in their rooms .

   Yes, it still goes on, but the authorities are on to it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, sanemax said:

Could be that all the kids involved grew up and no one took their place ?

Bars and other establishments do get raided and closed down for having underage drinkers and workers , although even those people are 16 + , and people do get arrested for having underage people in their rooms .

   Yes, it still goes on, but the authorities are on to it

Once again, prostitution is the worlds oldest profession and authorities in every country have been trying to manage it, mostly unsuccessfully. To think that the problem has simply evaporated and/ort that nobody is taking the place of the ones who grew up is naive at best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bars of all descriptions are closing and not being replaced all round CM so it follows that the "Gay" scene must also reduce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

Bars of all descriptions are closing and not being replaced all round CM so it follows that the "Gay" scene must also reduce.

That's hilarious, so there's a proportional relationship between homosexuality and beer bars in Thailand!

Edited by simoh1490

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

That's hilarious, so there's a proportional relationship between homosexuality and beer bars in Thailand!

Your response is the hilarious one.  ALL "entertainment" scenes are reducing due to the lack of clientele.

There are fewer tourists/customers therefore the "entertainment" establishments/outlets etc are closing/reducing as a result.

Therefore the number of staff (gay or otherwise) is reducing therefore the number of people prostituting themselves is reducing. 

You did do math at school I assume?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, scottiejohn said:

Your response is the hilarious one.  ALL "entertainment" scenes are reducing due to the lack of clientele.

There are fewer tourists/customers therefore the "entertainment" establishments/outlets etc are closing/reducing as a result.

Therefore the number of staff (gay or otherwise) is reducing therefore the number of people prostituting themselves is reducing. 

You did do math at school I assume?

 

You are suggesting that homosexuality increases or decreases based on the number of beer bars, the fewer bars, the fewer homosexuals and vica verca.....that's really not the case at all, trust me. Firstly, there is no confirmed link between alcohol sales and sexual orientation, secondly and if there was, if the number of bars decreased, the potential customers for them would simply find other bars in different areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the total number of spending visitors is down then the  total number of any spending people in any one group will  also be down is all that I am saying.  Chinese and other low cash tourist numbers may be up in CM but the spending tourists who support the trades/scenes you are on about are down therefore the supply and demand has reduced. 

Orientations and inclinations don't change because of the above, just the numbers.

From the number of inaccurate posts that you have made previously regarding bars, their type and location I suggest you get off your high horse, open your eyes (and mind) and actually take a look around CM.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Once again, prostitution is the worlds oldest profession and authorities in every country have been trying to manage it, mostly unsuccessfully. To think that the problem has simply evaporated and/ort that nobody is taking the place of the ones who grew up is naive at best.

Although we are not talking about simple "prostitution" .

Prostitution between two consenting people of a legal age is a different matter too children being trafficked and forced into it .

    Thailand is a lot more affluent these days and children now have to attend school , that could be a reason why children no longer have to get involved 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Factors affecting the decrease in gay bars are not specific to Chiang Mai.  It's the same in many western countries.  There have been big changes in the acceptance of gay people and how they communicate in the last three decades.  As gays became more comfortable coming out, the bars boomed.  Perhaps the boom was around 2005-2010; since then the internet has replaced bars as places for gays to "hook up" and bars have gone into decline.  Especially with younger gays who came out in their teens and are comfortable socialising in straight bars with friends gay and straight.  In fact many avoid the gay ghetto totally.  This is exactly what has been seen e.g. in the UK and some European countries.

 

In Chiang Mai the prostitution factor makes matters worse.  Younger foreign gay visitors want nothing to do with  gay places here where elderly farangs and prostitutes congregate.  You'll much more likely find them at Zoe or the bars of Nimman.  Conversely, prostitution has become much less acceptable in Thai culture as people become more affluent, so money boys look for tricks online rather than risk being seen in a bar and labelled a prostitute.  Chaing Mai's gay bars are now mainly a social scene for older foreigners.

 

But none of this is really relevant to the topic since the child sex scene that was prevalent twenty years ago in Chiang Mai gay bars has moved entirely to other spaces.

Edited by Paagai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sponsors
×