New Cowboy

Bought 12 Cows have limited knowledge

Uk we used to buy at a few weeks old and sell bullocks on at 18 months old, can't remember weights but around 500kg sounds right. Grazed on pasture and over-wintered inside on hay and feed concentrate.

Admire you having a go here and committing to the family. As FJ says, spend a bit more to make life a little easier!

Good luck.

• Like 2

Why is that castration is not typical with beef animals here as it is in the US. You know, make them think more about grass than ass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You can feed those cattle for fattening for 40 baht a day with very little work . 16 percent protein feed is 240 baht a bag delivered from surin they will need 3 kilos a day per cow . Maize silage is 32 baht for a 18 kilo bag they will need 9 to 10 kilos per day each cow . You could give them some rice straw in the evenings but they wont eat much . Dont forget to worm them out before using good feed into them ivermectin sorts out any parasites and worms or product of your choice  .

• Like 2

"You can feed those cattle for fattening for 40 baht a day with very little work ."

Think local...

My MIL feeds her chickens sticky rice and leftover vegetables.  The eggs taste great.

Might be worth trying with the cows.  Sticky rice has twice the calories as regular rice.  You can buy regular rice for as low as B20/kg.  Sticky rice must be very cheap wholesale.

Sorry thats the feed its 14 percent protein 240 baht a 30 kilo bag used by many farms i know that fatten cows . 2 kilos a day would be enough if you use the maize silage  3 kilos a day would quicken the process . If you want to cut cost use the 3 kilos protein and grazing . 

1513087782151.jpg

• Like 2

18 percent protein 260 baht a bag i use a 21 percent protein which i pay 290 baht a bag for . The 14 percent protein at 240 baht a bag is designed for what you need . 

1513089318266.jpg

• Like 1

I have to be honest I just had to read this as it is something I would probably do in the future and have much less knowledge than you New cowboy and it makes interesting reading .

Might look at getting a few rai as it can help some family members with getting some extra cash.

Not sure about cows though .crops maybe .

8 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

Can we help? 

Sure, as a poet once said:

The cow is of the bovine ilk,

One end is moo, the other milk.

Then you are in for a surprise when you go to milk a bullock. 

One of you will be dissapointed..... And it won't be the bullock. 

Edited by tryasimight
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1