New Cowboy

Bought 12 Cows have limited knowledge

On 8/31/2018 at 12:48 AM, New Cowboy said: I am taking note of all advice given on feed stuffs here..... Especially this cutting Nappier grass at 45 to 50 days...I need some data or evidence or  person the FiL will understand so he can also  understand the benefits or science behind it...And that's a hard call..

If you google these 4 words: forage age protein fibre

You will find lots of web pages explaining how protein levels fall and fibre levels increase as the forage gets older. 

Alternatively, you could get your FIL to submit samples of young and old grass to a laboratory to have the crude protein and fibre levels measured.  

On 8/31/2018 at 12:48 AM, New Cowboy said:

I am taking note of all advice given on feed stuffs here..... Especially this cutting Nappier grass at 45 to 50 days...I need some data or evidence or  person the FiL will understand so he can also  understand the benefits or science behind it...And that's a hard call..

[I messed up the editing of the quote just now]

You will find lots of web pages explaining how protein levels fall and fibre levels increase as the forage gets older. 

Alternatively, you could get your FIL to submit samples of young and old grass to a laboratory to have the crude protein and fibre levels measured.  

2 hours ago, JungleBiker said:

[I messed up the editing of the quote just now]

Thank you,  I am on to it now Rgds Joe

16 hours ago, thoongfoned said:

get some/or buy mostly female cows and breed em, long term it will be a winner.

as you say having only one buyer is not great, but its better then having none, at least you know they will take the animal and then pay you....

Yes, I think it's time to vary from just fattening Bulls.... FiL can handle birthing having done several over the years. I will get the process going soon... Thanks for the advice... Joe

19 hours ago, thoongfoned said:

get some/or buy mostly female cows and breed em, long term it will be a winner.

Yes and no, I take you would fatten the progeny from the breeding cows? that is what we do, but we sell progeny at about 12-15-month-old, the guy who buys them will take them to killing weight.

The yes part is that you have control of the whole job, no buying in cattle you have no records of, not certain on age and sometimes breed .and you can choose which breeds to use.

The no part is the cost of the breeding cow, when you sell progeny from her you have the cost of rearing that animal, and then the cost of a breeding cow to take out of the equation, that breeding cow has to be costed somewhere.

Rearing the breeding cow, you could do it the Thai way, graze them on roadside verges, low investment, then put the progeny in a yard and fatten them, but you would only get a calf to say every 18-24 months, not a good turn over of stock, and  the cows will not be fertile, hardly a high-profit enterprise.

Or you could feed the cows well and get a calf a year to rear/ fatten, higher investment but you will have a good turn over of stock.

Then at the end of it all, you are not certain of your selling price, to make this work feeding has got to be good, especially the forage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kickstart said:

Yes and no, I take you would fatten the progeny from the breeding cows? that is what we do, but we sell progeny at about 12-15-month-old, the guy who buys them will take them to killing weight.

The yes part is that you have control of the whole job, no buying in cattle you have no records of, not certain on age and sometimes breed .and you can choose which breeds to use.

The no part is the cost of the breeding cow, when you sell progeny from her you have the cost of rearing that animal, and then the cost of a breeding cow to take out of the equation, that breeding cow has to be costed somewhere.

Rearing the breeding cow, you could do it the Thai way, graze them on roadside verges, low investment, then put the progeny in a yard and fatten them, but you would only get a calf to say every 18-24 months, not a good turn over of stock, and  the cows will not be fertile, hardly a high-profit enterprise.

Or you could feed the cows well and get a calf a year to rear/ fatten, higher investment but you will have a good turn over of stock.

Then at the end of it all, you are not certain of your selling price, to make this work feeding has got to be good, especially the forage.

my thinking is feed mum well in gestation then into lactation, better birth weight/condition? mum quicker back into heat for re breeding. new born then  better/quicker growth onto say 100/200kg then onto breeding or finishing quicker?. so my qestion would be if shop bought feed plus grass grazing would/could this produce a quicker/better growing animal then say the thai way of walk it and feed what ever and dont count the days? (applying my pig knowledge again...5555) edit. another question. will a well feed mum  produce more/better milk ?then the average bag of bones you see about, makes sense to me that it would.

Edited by thoongfoned
  • Like 1

My wife has covered all the bases in that we have a little grazing, planted grass to cut and feed, home produced rice straw, and hand feed twice a day. Mostly my wife is trying to feed grass or graze and she seems to juggle the two on our small plot very well, as the grass is eaten up more rice straw for a while is used to tide the cattle over until times of plenty arrive again.

We are going the self breed process and I only have one piece of advice that I gave to my wife also.........

If you must tend and feed animals, a poor animal will always produce poor quality, better start with good quality, same feed, same work, quality results.

Our plan is to accommodate no more than 4 maybe 5 quality breeding cows, Counting new dropped calves, heifers coming on, could be feeding as many as 12 - 14 animals at peak times.

The milk question above, can be a bit of a conundrum, we have a thin Brahman that has been gushing milk for the calf, hence my wife now separates the calf to drink twice a day, as the calf is now on dry feed, hopefully the cow will pick up a bit in condition and think about taking the bull again.

• Like 2