BANGKOK 18 October 2018 20:43
berries thailand

Blueberries and blackberries in Thailand

Hello

I am new here at Thaivisa, and I wonder if someone else is growing blueberries and blackberries in Thailand.

We started growing blueberries and blackberries last November. This did not go smoothly at all. many problems with the acidity of the water and the many insects and termites.

Does anyone have any experience with growing berries?

Hello Berries in Thailand. 

Currently my better half is growing raspberries (from seed) in Korat. Where are you? She started a few months ago and they seem to be doing just fine - fruit is beginning to form as I write this.

Re black and blueberries: she just bought a few plants recently from a Thai bloke on FB so it's too early to report on how they're doing. Honestly, I have my doubts as it just doesn't get cold enough here for dormancy to kick in. I'm happy to post an update here in a couple of weeks re their progress. 

Would you mind telling me where you got your blackberry and blueberry plants? 

Good luck and happy growing. 

You can find blueberries and raspberries at the Singha Park near Chiang Rai, owned by Boonrawd Breweries. They grow them in pots in polytunnels. You can find photos on the web. 

Blackberries you can find in my garden here in Laos. 

All 3 crops prefer higher altitude areas and protection from summer rains using plastic (e.g. polytunnels with open sides for ventilation). 

For blackberries and raspberries, it is best to grow primocane varieties. 

For blueberries, best to grow low-chill varieties and grow them using the evergreen system (don't let them go dormant). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, berries thailand said:

some picture from our plants

1513238407712.jpg

1513238456715.jpg

1513238516599.jpg

1513238556212.jpg

Looks like a great set up!

May I ask, just out of curiosity, why did you leave so much space free between rows? 

11 hours ago, djayz said:

Itwas our first try out, and we thought this was more demanding to mow the grass in the rows with the tractor. But that is done by hand.

in the initial phase we also had a lot of growth and little flowers, when the plants were up to 3 meters tall, and then we had luck that the rows were big, otherwise we could not walk in between them. Now we have better control of growth and the rows can actually be closer together.

it was a huge learning process.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JungleBiker said:

Hi Berries Thailand,

What varieties of blueberry and  blackberry are you growing? 

JB

Hello JugleBiker

The blueberries is Biloxi and the blackberry is something i find in JJ market but dont know the variety

• Like 1

On 13/12/2017 at 9:26 AM, djayz said:

Re black and blueberries: she just bought a few plants recently from a Thai bloke on FB

Hi Djayz, Can you share the FB link please? Thanks. JB.

On 15/12/2017 at 1:20 PM, berries thailand said:

Hello JugleBiker

The blueberries is Biloxi and the blackberry is something i find in JJ market but dont know the variety

Hi Berries Thailand, 

How are your berries doing now? Based on your photos of 28 November, I think your blackberries may now have stopped fruiting. If so, I reckon you should cut the old canes down to the ground so that new canes will replace them and produce more fruit (similar to banana plants). 

At what altitude (metres above sea level) is your farm located? 

Do you have a name, contact number and address for the seller of the blackberry plants in JJ (CC) market?

How much did the blackberry plants cost? 

Thanks.

JB.

On 15-2-2018 at 3:49 AM, JungleBiker said:

Hi Berries Thailand, 

How are your berries doing now? Based on your photos of 28 November, I think your blackberries may now have stopped fruiting. If so, I reckon you should cut the old canes down to the ground so that new canes will replace them and produce more fruit (similar to banana plants). 

At what altitude (metres above sea level) is your farm located? 

Do you have a name, contact number and address for the seller of the blackberry plants in JJ (CC) market?

How much did the blackberry plants cost? 

Thanks.

JB.

Hello JB

The blackberries and blueberries are doing great.

The blackberries are still flowering and having fruit.

and the blueberries are becoming ripe.

we are located at a atitude off 400 meters above sea.

no i do not have a name from the seller. i went in jan again to look for more or different variaties but there was nobody who sell blackberries or blueberries.

i think we paid about 300 bath for the plants. (Pheng)

Regards

1519132552831.jpg

1519132564415.jpg

1519132859389.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks BT. Wow, they look good. That's very impressive, especially at only 400m asl. 

I hope they taste as good as they look. 

• Like 1

They taste even better than they look.

we are trying to propogate them now and planted 800 plants more.

so next year we have enough production to deliver to bangkok.

and at this moment we are looking for new variaties off blueberries 

but that is more difficult to get them in thailand.

regards

jan

blackberry with 1 flower.jpg

• Like 1

On the subject of Blackberries - the Prime-Ark varieties are fruiting all over Thailand. My wife propagates and sells Karaka Black and several other varieties none of which have fruited for us in Chiang Mai. A customer sent a photo yesterday of Karaka Black with fruit at 600m ASL in Chiang Rai - so it is possible. A friend of ours in Lamphun has Loch Ness and Loch Tay fruiting and I think it may be down to the way they are pruning (we are obviously doing it wrong).

• Like 2