berries thailand

Blueberries and blackberries in Thailand

You must try to get the plant out of its vegetative growth by pruning or feeding
the best way to do this is by adding cytokinin
if you give them kelp, this is a seaweed and naturally contains growth regulators.

and do not give the plant much N (nitraat)

regards 

8 hours ago, DumbFalang said:

On the subject of Blackberries - the Prime-Ark varieties are fruiting all over Thailand. My wife propagates and sells Karaka Black and several other varieties none of which have fruited for us in Chiang Mai. A customer sent a photo yesterday of Karaka Black with fruit at 600m ASL in Chiang Rai - so it is possible. A friend of ours in Lamphun has Loch Ness and Loch Tay fruiting and I think it may be down to the way they are pruning (we are obviously doing it wrong).

You must try to get the plant out of its vegetative growth by pruning or feeding
the best way to do this is by adding cytokinin
if you give them kelp, this is a seaweed and naturally contains growth regulators.

do not give them much N (nitraat)

Thank you very much for the tips. I have been focusing on propagation too much and now it's time to focus on fruit production, so I will try what you suggest. I am not familiar with Cytokinin - is it available 'off the shelf' in Thailand?

Please confirm - Are you saying it is good to give them kelp/seaweed?

2 hours ago, DumbFalang said:

Thank you very much for the tips. I have been focusing on propagation too much and now it's time to focus on fruit production, so I will try what you suggest. I am not familiar with Cytokinin - is it available 'off the shelf' in Thailand?

Please confirm - Are you saying it is good to give them kelp/seaweed?

Yes, Kelp/seaweed you can find in thailand.

we order it online.

Its very black and looks like oil.

you mix it with water and spray it in the evening over the plants 

we do it every 10-14 days.

if you look on the internet you can find a lot off information about spraying kelp.

if you would like to work with cytokinen (chemical) you have to be very carefully because you can kill the plant, if you do not apply it correctly.

and i do not know if it is available in thailand (never look)

we only use kelp because if the persone who sprays do something wrong (never happens in thailand) my plants not gonna die.

A few of the missis' berries coming along nicely. 

1520960858666.jpg

1518958858232.jpg

1517481301281.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, djayz said:

A few of the missis' berries coming along nicely. 

hello djayz

They ara looking very good

let me know is they taste sweet.

Bilberries are the English equivalent of blueberries. They may be worth exploring. 

• Like 1

On 13/12/2017 at 4:02 PM, JungleBiker said:

You can find blueberries and raspberries at the Singha Park near Chiang Rai, owned by Boonrawd Breweries. They grow them in pots in polytunnels. You can find photos on the web. 

Blackberries you can find in my garden here in Laos. 

All 3 crops prefer higher altitude areas and protection from summer rains using plastic (e.g. polytunnels with open sides for ventilation). 

For blackberries and raspberries, it is best to grow primocane varieties. 

For blueberries, best to grow low-chill varieties and grow them using the evergreen system (don't let them go dormant). 

Hi,

can you explain me what is the "evergreen system", does it fit with other kind of plants ?
I made some unsuccessfully experiments with figs in Prachuap area, after a couple of seasons the plants become weak and die.
Any chance to grow up blueberries in such a hot region ?

Many thanks 

• Thanks 1

On 09/04/2018 at 4:53 AM, Fulvio65 said:

Hi,

can you explain me what is the "evergreen system", does it fit with other kind of plants ?
I made some unsuccessfully experiments with figs in Prachuap area, after a couple of seasons the plants become weak and die.
Any chance to grow up blueberries in such a hot region ?

Many thanks 

Blueberries normally go dormant in the winter. In the evergreen system you don't let them go dormant. This is achieved by a combination of a suitable variety, growing in a suitable climate, hard pruning and fertiliser, particularly nitrogen to promote vigorous new growth after each fruiting cycle.

I was told that the location of the Boonrawd blueberry trial was on the warm side; not cool enough. Better to plant at a higher altitude. 

Where I am here in Laos, at over 1,200m above sea level, is better. (Though here, as in Chiang Rai, I will need to cover the crop with a plastic roof to keep the foliage dry during the rainy season). So if you are talking about a lowland area then I would say, "there is no chance to grow blueberries in a hot region". Unless you want to grow in an air conditioned environment and then it would be very expensive and probably not viable unless you were getting crazy prices for your fruit. A company in Japan is growing strawberries indoors using LEDs anf full climate control but they are getting many dollars per fruit in the high-priced Japanse gift market. 

• Like 1

On 02/04/2018 at 2:19 AM, The manic said:

Bilberries are the English equivalent of blueberries. They may be worth exploring. 

I did already consider this. They need some chilling. You would have to grow the plants in pots and then put them in the cold store for a minimum period in order to get them to flower. I have this approach in mind for some other temperate fruits that are better known in this part of the world. 

• Like 1