webfact

Irish kiteboarder, 40, drowns at Hua Hin

On 12/22/2017 at 11:34 AM, geriatrickid said:

Really? 

Report says  Tourists have been warned against playing watersports in the sea due to the dangerous conditions brought about by the northeastern monsoon and the approaching storm, Kai-Tak.  Fair enough. Some tourists may not have been warned.

Why did the shop rent to him under these dangerous circumstances? Did they warn him of the danger? I doubt it. I expect that it was money , money, money that ruled.

Apparently Mr. Jonathan was not a tourist, and he was not renting the equipment, and he was an expert kiteboarder.

Shit happens, he was just unlucky.

RIP Mr. Jonathan, and condolences to his family and friends.

On 12/20/2017 at 10:48 PM, terryofcrete said:

Many tourists ignore the warnings.... and may I ask a simple question... how in the name of whoever are the people who rent these kites or whatever allowed to do so if there is adverse weather ? Will they be prosecuted for irresponsible trading ? Not a chance of course. The dangers that are acceptable , with no need at all for them to be, scares me every time I visit... and I visit quite a lot. The children on motorbikes with no helmets standing , ready to be the first to be smashed to smithereens in an accident. It makes me want to scream at the authorities, sort the obvious before you create controversy with stupid laws about beach smoking ! 

You obviously know nothing about kiteboarding. If you have zero knowledge your opinion doesn't matter. 

2 minutes ago, dictater said:

You obviously know nothing about kiteboarding. If you have zero knowledge your opinion doesn't matter. 

Doesn't everyone's opinion matter, or just yours?

On 12/21/2017 at 4:39 PM, impulse said:

No, I think the conditions were well within a skilled surfer's ability, and I can't make any comments on the victim's skill level.  If I were to question any judgment he made, it's going out alone.  But if everyone I know is working when I get the opportunity to kayak, swim, paddleboard or snorkel, I've made that same judgement call myself.  Instead of a one in a million chance of a tragedy, I exposed myself to a 2 in a million chance.

He got hung up on a rope, which was an absolute fluke.  Maybe if he had a buddy, he could have been saved, but the nature of kite surfing is that even buddies can be hundreds of meters apart- and safer for that separation.

I had a friend in high school who got into snorkeling and SCUBA and developed to an excellent skill level, but he got his ankle hung up on a rope that marked the swimming area at the local pond and drowned while snorkeling.  He was a genius, the smartest guy in the school and extremely responsible, in addition to very popular.  Devastated the lifeguards on duty that day (good friends of his) and everyone who knew him.  It, too, was a fluke- and he was well out of the lifeguard's area.  Maybe a buddy or a diving knife could have saved him, but hindsight like that is always clearer than foresight.

If I were to boil my points down to a few words, it's that the authorities often close an area when it's well within the skill level of someone experienced at much harsher conditions (the nanny state creeping in), and we all do stuff that others would call into question- usually after tragedy strikes, but sometimes before.

A diving buddy, which is usually recommended, would more than likely been able to save him. And all it would have taken was one swipe with a good knife. Most of the divers I know carry good knives. When you dive alone, you increase your risks exponentially. I suppose many can argue the same rule does not apply to snorkeling.

But, I get your point. When the reaper is ready for you, not much you can do about it.

Edited by spidermike007

On 12/21/2017 at 2:20 AM, dfdgfdfdgs said:

It looks like normal conditions for kitesurfing.  You can't really kitesurf without wind and when there is wind there are waves.

I didn't want to say it but other than shores behind breakwaters, it looks fairly mild to me.   

I used to feel the bigger the better when it came to waves.

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2017 at 9:02 PM, torrzent said:

were your friends beginners?

No. They are very experienced. But, they pick their spots. Most are guys who have good lives, that they are simply unwilling to give up for a few hours of fun.