webfact

Hua Hin seafood restaurants, slammed for overcharging, defend their prices

Maybe the out of towners were expecting a two tiered price system, vs farang rate food 😂😂😂

15 adults + 3 kids for 7000 thb seafood at the beach? doesn't seem that bad at all.

i was expecting a proper ripoff. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, baansgr said:

18 people, coconuts, beers and soft drinks, that's not exactly overpriced.

Yup. Also the soft drink isn't going to be at 7/11 prices. This is cold drinks served at the beach, so you pay more for that. Add in the food cost for 18 people and it isn't bad at all.

7000 baht for 18 people eating seafood sounds like a bargain to me!

The headline makes it sound like they were billed differently because they were farang! <deleted> man?!?!?!

Way overpriced... I would have looked at the menu and walked... plenty of other places reasonably priced... places like this will lose business and eventually fold.

3 hours ago, balo said:

Try Pattaya instead and save money. Plenty of seafood restaurants here.

And you won't die of boredom after a week either.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Get Real said:

Oh dear! That only missleading thing is comments from the tourists. If you are interested in the price, and can´t see it, then you ask politely for it.
Was that too simple, or can we agree on that?

For the quantity that sounds reasonable to me having paid over 1000thb for a really good BBQ seafood meal for 2 at 'Lung Jo's', I think, in the middle of Hua Hin night market in October: 1 big plate of rock lobsters, 1 big plate of queen scallops, 1 bbq squid, I big fried sea fish salad, garlic bread and/or prawn fried rice, and a huge baked potato. Salad and rice excepted, all were cooked perfectly in garlic butter, which was a mistake actually, as I only wanted garlic butter as a dip (which we also received) with a beer Leo and a Spy. Amazing friendly and fast service from the young waiters who couldnt do enough for you. Been to Hua Hin many times over the years and never knew which Night Market seafood restaurant to choose, but in future, without hesitation, I will go straight to Lung Jo's.

• Thanks 1

7,380 Baht / 15 Adults = 492 Baht per person.

Expensive? Seriously some people should really stop eating seafood!

Quality tourists once more!

• Like 1

We don't go down to Hua Hin all that often, especially not weekends and holidays. But when we do, we're on vacation - it almost a given we'll throw some money around, same as in every vacation spot. Expecting it would be cheaper or even "the same" as elsewhere is unrealistic.

My gripe with restaurants in Thailand is less about food prices going up, but rather dish sizes getting smaller. But still, not too bad, even if (as others pointed out) there are better dining locations around the globe. That said, we actually find Hua Hin not too shabby on the size front, compared with other places. My extended Thai family seems to feel the same.

Under 500 baht per head, especially if including drinks and the food ain't half bad - I'd hit that. Especially if it's a full family gathering sort of thing.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Enoon said:

I may be wrong, but given the name of the complainant, Ploynapas Lukthongmak, this particular tourist is already in their own country.

Yep, there she is on Facebook Thailand:

https://th-th.facebook.com/ploynapas.lukthongmak

Foreigners go home eh?

Yep, it's a well known fact amongst Thais - DO NOT eat at the seafood resto's in Hua Hin. This is old news and HH has been expensive for a decade. Missus did it once many years ago, learned her lesson, never again.

• Like 1

I discovered a long time ago that most high end restaurant food in Thailand is completely overpriced for what is often very average food and usual small sized portions! One reason I make sure I have a small kitchen and cook my own! oh and now in Lanta with their crazy restaurant prices, it’s 7-11 meals for few days and they seem to be doing a booming trade, shelves emptying quick and the mass of over priced restaurants very few customers!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

Yep, it's a well known fact amongst Thais - DO NOT eat at the seafood resto's in Hua Hin. This is old news and HH has been expensive for a decade. Missus did it once many years ago, learned her lesson, never again.

Strange... All the Thais living in HH (at least the ones I know) do patronise the seafood resto's in Hua Hin - and quite often!!!

Any place that's cheaper than 500 Baht per pax? How much and for what?

p.s Yes, I do eat seafood quite often at HH - when I am there.

Edited by ravip
  • Like 1