Rhys

Cell phone policy....

The other day a kind wise Thai teacher asked me to let student talk and text in class regardless.....she said, don't get in between this trap...  of course they can use the phone apps for data search and the dictionary function. However, she said not to enforce student actually speaking in class... hmmm

She said the main rationale is then students rate you low..and that is an employment gambit.     Thus  leaving soon

The schools I dealt with had a strict 'no cell phone' policy.   In the morning several of the office admin collected the phones and each student was given a number.   At the end of the day the student turned in the number and got their phone back.  

We did have one student who was a child actor and he had a phone which he was allowed to keep in his bag.   He would check it at break time and lunch time for texts or calls from his agent.   He was a well-behaved student and did not abuse the privilege.   He checked the phone in the teacher's office, so he was not seen by other students or pestered from anyone wanting to make a call. 

• Like 2

Our school also takes phones from students every morning and returns them at 4pm. If a teacher needs it for a lesson, they need to check the phones out from the office then return them. At least the kids now are out playing sport, doing work, or chatting in their free time, rather than being glued to their phones. 

I think this needs to be a school policy for it to work and supported by admin. It doesn't work on an ad hoc basis. Some teachers are strict about phone use and some just don't care. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

Our school also takes phones from students every morning and returns them at 4pm. If a teacher needs it for a lesson, they need to check the phones out from the office then return them. At least the kids now are out playing sport, doing work, or chatting in their free time, rather than being glued to their phones. 

I think this needs to be a school policy for it to work and supported by admin. It doesn't work on an ad hoc basis. Some teachers are strict about phone use and some just don't care. 

Hit it.. they don't give an effort..

No cell phone policy at my school, it's up to each teacher to set their rules.  I collect the phones from my homeroom classes in the morning and give them back at 2:30, but I am the strictest teacher at school in that respect!

Some teachers collect the phones in the morning, give them back at lunchtime and then collect them a again... a huge waste of time IMHO.

Edited by otherstuff1957

I think for younger students you can do this..but the university student would have more attitude...

19 hours ago, Rhys said:

Sadly this is a uni/college issue...

Is your college/uni allowed to fail students...or are they subjected to a "retest".

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I run a number of quiz games and formative assessments off of phones and often students will need to search for information. Video games entirely not allowed. Taking calls - I will sternly direct them immediately outside, then speak to them after class. I've got good, smart kids, it's always a semi emergency, people are not stupid to call my kids mid day for a trifling matter. If they initiate a call I stop what I'm doing and give them one warning and mark it on my attendance sheet. Happens again that is a two point reduction in their behavior grade.

M2 up...don't take their phones, it's immature on your part and shows lack of control. Besides, you are now responsible for the phone/s. I can see how this could be an issue in university, especially not the top 5. I'd say not much you can do. Try stopping class, direct attention to the student and say we'll all begin when X is done...

Edited by ozmeldo

On 12/27/2017 at 6:24 PM, otherstuff1957 said:

No cell phone policy at my school, it's up to each teacher to set their rules.  I collect the phones from my homeroom classes in the morning and give them back at 2:30, but I am the strictest teacher at school in that respect!

Some teachers collect the phones in the morning, give them back at lunchtime and then collect them a again... a huge waste of time IMHO.

Our high school students are allowed to have their mobile phones on and they even use the foreign teacher's wireless internet. If I see students on Farcebook, or similar, I tell them to switch it off, or it will land in the principal's office. It usually helps, of course will you always have some "hidden" phones.

IMO, it's useful for an ordinary class to let them find the equivalent word in Thai. If foreigners believe that students shouldn't be allowed to have phones in class and they start to take them away, it can easily be a shot in the own feet, because the students can write a very bad evaluation about a foreigner and vote him/her out.

Where I'm more careful with phones is when I give them a test. Then all phones must be switched off. They aren't stupid, photograph the answers of a better student and then copy from the phone. 

My policy was I see I take.  It rings I answer.

Had a student phone his friend to cover for him.  Only problem was that after student answered I took the phone.  Was he surprised when I said hello

On 12/28/2017 at 12:57 AM, Rhys said:

I think for younger students you can do this..but the university student would have more attitude...

like not care about being expelled ?

I'm at the university level and the university does not have a campus-wide blanket policy, but leaves it to each faculty to form their own policy commensurate with the teaching environment etc.

In my faculty the Dean has set a no-use policy and each individual instructor is expected to comply - unless a waiver has been given. In my classes it is a "no use" policy and first violations are given a one-time verbal warning.. second infractions result in removal from class on that day and a mark of "absent for cause" and a third violation is referred to the Deans office for a more formal reaction.

So far I've never had a step 3... I have lots of step one cases and a handful of step two, but given that a step 2 also includes a loss of points (that comes with a mark of absent for cause) for that sessions, that tends to be the last time it happens.

In the demonstration school, they too have a similar policy on a school-wide basis, but it seems to be very inconsistently applied.

Some teachers have an orderly process whereby phone are left on a desk near the front of the room and retrieved at the end of class.. or something similar... then there are those who only require phones to be kept inside book bags, backpacks, etc... and a few that seem to be indifferent to the matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

Not sure I understand....

"However, she said not to enforce student actually speaking in class... hmmm" ?

On 12/28/2017 at 9:14 AM, DavisH said:

Is your college/uni allowed to fail students...or are they subjected to a "retest".

They fail them...no retest... they have the must attend class 80% requirement or they cannot sit for the final.