Rhys

Cell phone policy....

5 hours ago, Rhys said:

They fail them...no retest... they have the must attend class 80% requirement or they cannot sit for the final.

80% is also the rule for schools. However, it seems that some schools will also bend this rule and allow "special cases" to have lower attendance. Much lower in some cases. Let's not even talk about "retesting" in schools. The MoE mandates ALL students reach a passing level. Of course, some students can't pass, no matter how hard they try. They are pushed through the system. And you see the results of that policy at university level. 

I don't understand the need for foreign teachers, marginal degrees and education, without training and licences, teaching on temporary stay visas to fail students, especially below the 50% mark which most public schools have set.

It really goes to show how this lot does not understand assessments and grading in general. 60% is failing friends. Why the need for punitive punishment? English is not a critical subject course and YOU are damning kids GPA to hell. Just stop it.

Edited by ozmeldo

Why the need for punitive punishment? English is not a critical subject course and YOU are damning kids GPA to hell. Just stop it.

I agree that it should not be about "punitive" per se... but... I do think that there really needs to be a clear, objective (to extent possible) assessment... that way IF there is a deficiency (this could also be called failure, but I prefer deficiency) there is a clear map to where or what that deficiency is -- and that should bode well for a recovery plan.

At the end of the day, if the attainment just isn't there, it's not there. One can argue why or how it's lacking, but so long as a fair and accurate assessment was done, then I think it's to everyone's benefit to face the facts - but with an eye to the next step ... that being a fix ... not a "no-fail, pass to next level" or proverbially kicking the can down the road if you will.

As for the notion that English not being a critical subject goes. That i think (IMHO) this is really going to be on a case-by-case thing... it's true that some just won't have a real world need for English.. and others may have need ... but.. I do think in the macro picture, the movement is towards a bilingual ecosystem...

Sure, one can argue what that or those second languages may be or should be, but again, in the macro sense, I don't agree that one language is enough or will enough to be competitive on a large scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

Fair enough but still the end of the day, the system could not hold all the students held back. It's already overwhelmed. Being held back is hardly a guarantee that the following year the student would pass either. It's failed system but it's not unusual, even in the USA.

Ultacritcal and largely unintellectual teachers with mediocre bachelor's degrees and education, no training in pedigogy or education making these damning judgements upon students. 

EFL should be pass fail based entirely on formative assessments.

post-7852-0-96922500-1428167419_thumb.jpg

On 12/28/2017 at 9:14 AM, DavisH said:

Is your college/uni allowed to fail students...or are they subjected to a "retest".

...BAN the CELL PHONES....DONE...USE a dictionary

They fail them...no retest... they have the must attend class 80% requirement or they cannot sit for the final.

6 minutes ago, Rhys said:

post-7852-0-96922500-1428167419_thumb.jpg

...BAN the CELL PHONES....DONE...USE a dictionary

University must come as such a shock for some of these students...many seem to not understand the ramifications of not attending class, handing in assignments on time, or passing exams. The school system here sets man of them up for failure (e.g. pushing kids through the system and onto university, instead of vocational college after M3). 

• Like 1

University must come as such a shock for some of these students...many seem to not understand the ramifications of not attending class, handing in assignments on time, or passing exams. The school system here sets man of them up for failure (e.g. pushing kids through the system and onto university, instead of vocational college after M3). 

I've found that for those who do go to university, after just completing grade 12/M6 at a traditional school system institution, that most adapt pretty quickly. Sure, there is some "OMG, they weren't lying..." kind of shock and awe that takes place in the very beginning... but I think that stops pretty quick.

My guess is that that who just don't, can't or won't adapt to a "work must be on-time" and "yes, you CAN fail this class" type of university level system, either: a) choose not to go to a traditional academic-based institution where this is the system, B) don't meet the entrance criteria or c) become involuntarily academically ineligible (flunk out if you will) or choose to leave on their own accord short after initial enrollment.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2018 at 5:48 AM, ozmeldo said:

Ultacritcal and largely unintellectual teachers with mediocre bachelor's degrees and education, no training in pedigogy or education making these damning judgements upon students. 

That about sums up the Thai teachers.  How would you describe the foreigners working in Thai schools?

On 2/14/2018 at 12:15 PM, stubuzz said:

That about sums up the Thai teachers.  How would you describe the foreigners working in Thai schools?

Not the Thai teachers I currently work with. Guy next to me is doing his PhD at Chula. All CEFR C1.

Obviously, I was speaking of the foreign teachers. But you've made my point thanks.

On 1/20/2018 at 5:48 AM, ozmeldo said:

47 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

Obviously, I was speaking of the foreign teachers. But you've made my point thanks.

Ironically, so have you.

On 2/16/2018 at 7:09 PM, stubuzz said:

Ironically, so have you.

Another failed attempt at *biting* humor. Hope your lessons go down better with the students.

At one place... I am told they give a midterm grade, if you are below 50%... you are encouraged to drop the class... and repeat.