Jump to content
Putmak

Non Imm O or Non Imm O-A

Recommended Posts

Which is likely to be the easyest visa to apply for, the Non Imm O-A in London, or the Non Imm O once in Thailand (converting from a SETV). I can not apply for the Non Imm O in London as I don't yet have a state pension. The 800k in the bank for either option would not be an issue.

Looking ahead are there any advantages/disadvantages for either when it comes to applying for extensions, (based on retirement).  

Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are pros and cons for both, but getting  a Non ‘O-A’ in London would be my recommendation. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the option to convert to Non-Immigrant O visa within Thailand, a factor to consider is in which part of Thailand you will be living.  e.g.  Cholburi Immigrations (Pattaya/Jomtien) apparently makes it quite difficult to do the conversion.  I believe some other areas of Thailand still don't handle the conversion, and if so, you'd need to make two visits to Chaeng Wattana Immigrations (Bangkok) to accomplish the task.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, elviajero said:

There are pros and cons for both, but getting  a Non ‘O-A’ in London would be my recommendation. 

Thanks. Out of interest can you expand on why London would be your recommendation please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

For the option to convert to Non-Immigrant O visa within Thailand, a factor to consider is in which part of Thailand you will be living.  e.g.  Cholburi Immigrations (Pattaya/Jomtien) apparently makes it quite difficult to do the conversion.  I believe some other areas of Thailand still don't handle the conversion, and if so, you'd need to make two visits to Chaeng Wattana Immigrations (Bangkok) to accomplish the task.

I'd be living in Loei so my nearest immigration office would be Chiang Khan. I need to contact them to verify if they can do the conversion or not. If not then I would visit the main immigration office in Bangkok, and stay the 15 days there for the two visits to complete the process. Which leads me back to my original question...which is likely to be the easyer option. Non Imm O-A London or Non Imm O Thailand ?. Thanks for your reply BTW.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

I believe some other areas of Thailand still don't handle the conversion, and if so, you'd need to make two visits to Chaeng Wattana Immigrations (Bangkok) to accomplish the task

Bangkok have washed their hands of those of us who don't live in Bangkok, so doing it there would require renting a place there, then providing proof you live there.

 

Supposedly, they told the local-offices to do them - but some won't, or only rarely, or only if receiving special-compensation (10x+ the actual fee) to do it.

 

18 minutes ago, Putmak said:

Which leads me back to my original question...which is likely to be the easyer option. Non Imm O-A London or Non Imm O Thailand ?

That depends a LOT on how Chiang Khan treats conversions.  But if you are out-of-country now, and can meet the criteria for London, that would seem the logical first choice.  It would give you 2 years time, plus the correct starting-entry (a Non-O entry) to apply for a retirement extension in Thailand.

 

There is a 3rd Choice, if the London O-A doesn't work out, and Chiang Khan is a PITA - which is to get a single-entry Non-O based on retirement at Savannakhet or Penang.  That would be easier than a conversion at a troublesome office.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Bangkok have washed their hands of those of us who don't live in Bangkok, so doing it there would require renting a place there, then providing proof you live there.

 

Supposedly, they told the local-offices to do them - but some won't, or only rarely, or only if receiving special-compensation (10x+ the actual fee) to do it.

 

Thanks.  That does sound familiar but I seem to have forgotten about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Bangkok have washed their hands of those of us who don't live in Bangkok, so doing it there would require renting a place there, then providing proof you live there.

 

Supposedly, they told the local-offices to do them - but some won't, or only rarely, or only if receiving special-compensation (10x+ the actual fee) to do it.

 

That depends a LOT on how Chiang Khan treats conversions.  But if you are out-of-country now, and can meet the criteria for London, that would seem the logical first choice.  It would give you 2 years time, plus the correct starting-entry (a Non-O entry) to apply for a retirement extension in Thailand.

 

There is a 3rd Choice, if the London O-A doesn't work out, and Chiang Khan is a PITA - which is to get a single-entry Non-O based on retirement at Savannakhet or Penang.  That would be easier than a conversion at a troublesome office.

Many thanks for your info. Based on your comment re renting and proof etc it looks like Chaeng Wattana is a non starter ..... I am currently living in London and would not have an issue with the police report, medical cert etc, so yes i guess its a logical first choice taking your comments into consideration. Thanks for the 3rd choice suggestion too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Putmak said:

Thanks. Out of interest can you expand on why London would be your recommendation please.

The main two reasons are; You won’t need to apply for an extension of stay for 1-2 years after first entering Thailand, and you won’t need to transfer 800K to Thailand until you need an extension of stay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

The main two reasons are; You won’t need to apply for an extension of stay for 1-2 years after first entering Thailand, and you won’t need to transfer 800K to Thailand until you need an extension of stay.

Two pretty good reasons then. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 23 May 2018 13:50
Sponsors
×