Jump to content
Loaded

visa re-entry stamp at the airport

Recommended Posts

Has anyone recently obtained a re-entry stamp for a non-immigrant B visa at Chiang Mai airport before catching a flight?

 

I've been told it's possible but don't want to risk if it's not. I want to avoid visiting Immigration in the city.

 

If you obtained at the airport, any feedback?

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get a re-entry permit for any permit to stay. It is the same anywhere you apply for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get a re-entry permit on the second floor, just after you pass through the final security screen before the Immigration podiums.  There is a counter to the left in the "no man's land" between the security screening stations and the Immigration podiums.  Once the Imm. officers stamp you out of the country, you've passed the point of no return.

 

This counter also processes overstay fines, so at times it can be a little "backed up".  Be sure to allow plenty of time if you're going to wait to get your re-entry permit at the airport.  

 

Unfortunately, you can't go out to the airport and get your re-entry permit well in advance of your flight.  You have to have checked-in and be ready to board and pass through the final security screen before you get to the counter to purchase a re-entry permit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO not worth the risk. I only found out where it is by asking as it's tucked away to the side and very easy to pass through the point of no return without seeing it.

 

I'd only do it there if I couldn't do it at Promenada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO not worth the risk. I only found out where it is by asking as it's tucked away to the side and very easy to pass through the point of no return without seeing it.

 

I'd only do it there if I couldn't do it at Promenada.

 Agree, not worth the risk unless you have plenty of time and know exactly where to go.

 

john

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one has ever reported not being able to get a recently permit at the airport... be prepared by bringing a completed TM8 form, 2 photos, copy of passport page and 1,000 baht...

 

Add an an extra hour at the airport to sort it out...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

No one has ever reported not being able to get a recently permit at the airport... be prepared by bringing a completed TM8 form, 2 photos, copy of passport page and 1,000 baht...

 

Add an an extra hour at the airport to sort it out...

Yes, I know some people who have "failed" to get a re-entry permit because they don't have enough time, don't have a photo and/or can't locate the counter and before they realize it, they're processed through the Imm. podiums and in the waiting area for their flight, unable to go back and get a re-entry permit.  Some naively think they can "re-instate" their retirement visa extensions once they return.  Back when I was president of CM Expats Club I had numerous conversations with members who had done exactly this, perplexed as to why they received a 30 day permission to stay stamp when they returned to Chiang Mai and asking for an easy fix.  (answer:  there isn't an "easy fix" at that point)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True. No one has ever reported trying to get a recently permit anywhere.


Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NancyL said:

Yes, I know some people who have "failed" to get a re-entry permit because they don't have enough time, don't have a photo and/or can't locate the counter and before they realize it, they're processed through the Imm. podiums and in the waiting area for their flight, unable to go back and get a re-entry permit.  Some naively think they can "re-instate" their retirement visa extensions once they return.  Back when I was president of CM Expats Club I had numerous conversations with members who had done exactly this, perplexed as to why they received a 30 day permission to stay stamp when they returned to Chiang Mai and asking for an easy fix.  (answer:  there isn't an "easy fix" at that point)

 

Nancy you are very polite... But I think JW said it better...

7BEE1B40-5D5B-4B75-9F12-F8C458100EFA.jpeg

Edited by sfokevin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO not worth the risk. I only found out where it is by asking as it's tucked away to the side and very easy to pass through the point of no return without seeing it.

 

Tucked away?... :saai:

 

6E400A1C-3C9B-46BD-B407-E29FFAF76DB6.jpeg

Edited by sfokevin
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sfokevin said:

 

Nancy you are very polite... But I think JW said it better...

7BEE1B40-5D5B-4B75-9F12-F8C458100EFA.jpeg

Let's be nice.  Traveling can be stressful, esp when you're elderly, frail, had to get up early, are running late, etc.  It's easy enough to overlook that counter, because everything is directing you to keep moving straight ahead and not look to your left or right.  

 

It can also be a problem for fairly new retirees, who arrived with an O-A visa and got used to using the multi-entry feature of that visa until it expired.  Many don't understand how they have to obtain a re-entry permit once the visa expires and they're here under the "permission to stay" stamp and not because of the expired visa.  Frankly, it doesn't help when some go to CM Imm. Prom. thinking they have to do a "renewal" at the time of expiration of their visa only to have the Imm. officer point to their more recent permission to stay stamp and tell them they "don't have to do anything but 90 day reports" or "only have to do 90 day reports" until the date of the expiration of the permission to stay stamp.   I've seen this done several times, but didn't dare say anything least it appear that I'm meddling in Immigration business.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Let's be nice.  Traveling can be stressful, esp when you're elderly, frail, had to get up early, are running late, etc.  It's easy enough to overlook that counter, because everything is directing you to keep moving straight ahead and not look to your left or right.  

Respectfully, Nancy, you're making it out that the re-entry desk is easy to overlook (it absolutely isn't as one can see by the photograph posted above) and you're talking about a minority of people who....due to age, infirmity, incapacity, or simple ignorance...can't handle their own affairs. Those people probably need a handler to even get through the airport.

 

But, for people who know they need a re-entry permit at the airport,  they actually might ask themselves the question ahead of time as to what documents (passport copies, TM8, and photograph) would be needed.  For all those people, it's a breeze.  

 

I've gotten a few re-entry permits at the airport and I don't think it's ever taken me more than 5 minutes to get one.  I've also gotten re-entry permits at the old Immigration office and at Promenada but that's always involved a lot more time and hassle.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Respectfully, Nancy, you're making it out that the re-entry desk is easy to overlook (it absolutely isn't as one can see by the photograph posted above) and you're talking about a minority of people who....due to age, infirmity, incapacity, or simple ignorance...can't handle their own affairs. Those people probably need a handler to even get through the airport.

 

But, for people who know they need a re-entry permit at the airport,  they actually might ask themselves the question ahead of time as to what documents (passport copies, TM8, and photograph) would be needed.  For all those people, it's a breeze.  

 

I've gotten a few re-entry permits at the airport and I don't think it's ever taken me more than 5 minutes to get one.  I've also gotten re-entry permits at the old Immigration office and at Promenada but that's always involved a lot more time and hassle.

 

Oh, you're absolutely right as you "respectfully" wrote "Those people probably need a handler to even get through the airport."  Many of them have requested wheelchair service from the airline and the wheelchair attendant just breezes right by the re-entry permit counter to get them through the Imm. podiums and to the gate waiting area where their responsibility ends.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, you're talking about a small minority of people who need major assistance to do a lot of things....to even know they need a re-entry permit, to know they need to get an extension, do a 90-day report, whatever.  

 

But....for anybody having some ability and cognizance that they need a re-entry permit (which likely includes almost everyone who actually reads ThaiVisa and can understand the English language)....it's easy to do. 

 

The OP certainly has enough capability to get it done easily at the airport and that's what he asked.  So long as he's leaving on an international flight at CNX, the re-entry desk will be open.  And he should download and fill out the TM8 form, paste a photo where indicated, and take the necessary passport copies (OP....there's a pinned topic to tell you what documents are needed).  For a single re-entry permit, it's 1,000 baht and it's 3,800 for a multiple re-entry permit.  And, presuming he's upstairs 30-60 minutes prior to his flight, he'll have more than enough time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

appreciate all the responses. I've got an evening flight so should be able to arrive early enough to obtain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 16 July 2018 23:37
Sponsors
×