BANGKOK 16 October 2018 11:29
webfact

What price a life? 5,000 baht each for families in death crash - big bike was not insured for tourist

What price a life? 5,000 baht each for families in death crash - big bike was not insured for tourist

1pm.jpg

video screenshot

The "Big Bike" being driven by the Russian that resulted in the death of three people earlier this week was not insured.

It was rented to 22 year old Alexandr Zakharov in Pattaya but the company had not extended the Por Ror Bor or third party accident insurance as required by the law.

Police said the Russian was at fault for driving negligently.

Each party in the accident has only received 5,000 baht.

Mr Zakharov and South Korean man Yongseok Choi, 20 who was crossing the road died at the scene of the crash. The Russian's Thai pillion passenger succumbed later in hospital. She was Netnapha Prawatdee, 22.

The victim's families each received checks for 5,000 baht yesterday from Saifon Nakphook of the Tourist Assistance Foundation.

Pol Capt Sombat Kaewmoonsuk handling the case at Pattaya police station said that the rental company had been fined for not having insurance on the bike. It was up to those concerned to take the matter further by pursuing the case in the courts with the company.

The Tourist Assistance Foundation are helping out with claims, said Komchadluek who commented on their story that is was a deplorable situation that tourists could rent bikes without the proper insurance cover.

Source:  Komchadluek

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-11
  • Sad 1

I think that in all countries that the above posters come from and my own, that recourse is only through civil courts. 

The Russian is lucky he is dead. Only his estate can be sued but the bike rental shop will likely have to declare bankruptcy to get out of his liability.

• Thanks 1

I don't believe they have the right name for this girl. More like they have mixed up 2 stories.

32 minutes ago, greatwhitenorth said:

The driver died at the scene.  Maybe the dead Thai woman's husband and child?

On the picture is the father of the driver.

13 minutes ago, d3viliz3d said:

Did anyone Google the name of the Thai girl? It should be well known to many since last year.

Still, RIP.

https://www.facebook.com/nessy.zcozo.5

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, greatwhitenorth said:

The driver died at the scene.  Maybe the dead Thai woman's husband and child?

YES  I am wondering who the people are in the photo...