watgate

US Medicare eligibility

Is it correct that a US citizen can not reside in Thailand for more then 6 months so as to not become ineligible for Medicare once you turn 65?

Medicare can not be used in most locations outside the USA but there is no turn off for having lived overseas that I have ever heard of.  Suspect you have confused with some other countries socialized medicine residency requirements.

• Like 1

Eligibility for Medicare is only based on work credits over your life but as said it can't be used outside of the U.S.

As above. You can reside 12 months a year in Thailand (or any other country) and still have medicare. I do. So does every other American of Medicare age I know of living here

BUT it does not pay for medical care here. You have to go back to the US to use it .

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

I am still perplexed because a friend told me he has a group medicare advantage PPO plan and he said the handbook states if you are away from their service area for more than 6 months you will be terminated from the above mentioned plan.

1 hour ago, watgate said:

I am still perplexed because a friend told me he has a group medicare advantage PPO plan and he said the handbook states if you are away from their service area for more than 6 months you will be terminated from the above mentioned plan.

That's not standard Medicare. That's a PRIVATE plan. 

https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-change-plans/medicare-health-plans/medicare-advantage-plans/medicare-advantage-plans.html

The "standard," and minimum, Medicare is Part A, free.  I have it, since it's free, but only good for use if I happen to visit the U.S., not good here in Thailand.

Everything else with "medicare" in the name, such as Part B and so on, you need to pay extra for and I don't think these add-ons are good overseas.

Mac

I  think he is referring to a senior medical plan such as Kaiser Advantage (Northwest) which is in conjunction with medicare. And Kaiser covers "emergency" and "urgent" while traveling (Thailand) but must reside in USA in covered area and not be out of area more than 6 consecutive months.