webfact

Thai sex industry now worth 260 billion baht, say Thai media

I wonder how much is stomped up by the locals and how much by the tourists and expats

Guess 95%-5% respectively.

Finally it is official. Out of that sum allocate a minimum of 10% to a certain protection "squad" on regular basis and another 5% immediate cash for when they turn up or passing by etc etc.No wonder it is always protected and seldom raided or challanged.😆

Thailand the only and sole country in the world with a sex industry without prostitutes! :smile:

• Haha 1

Sorry, only estimates available as the money changers here would know.

Until social security can look after 50,000 families in Isaan who have at least one member of the family happily working in the industry & sending money home the Government will not rock the boat to heavily.

The Victoria Secret debacle is about mainly non Thai girls & big bucks & heavy corruption along with maybe 

the envelopes getting smaller

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They excluded the young women going with the rich foreigner bit?  (Pun intended) Mind you that is a pretty international, dare I say, universal paradigm. My apologies to any aliens out there.

• Like 1

There's certainly some of my "hard" currency counted in there.   :smile:

I do wonder if they're counting only money given to the end provider (pun intended).  Or also drinks, lady drinks, transport, restaurants, hotels, etc, etc. used mainly as part of the industry - many, many would go bust without it.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, diehard71 said:

. . . . it is not going to stand up.

In this sex industry context, that has to be the euphemism of the day.

• Like 1

It is only adding to the economy when the money comes from outside Thailand, other wise it's part of the services industry and nothing but pumping money around and moving it up the food chain.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

All over the world, people admire the thai way of living...so why to comment so often and almost everyday,the "sex side" of this culture? I have worked in 17 countries (Asia,Africa,Europe...) and everywhere adult men and ladies have sex for any reason ,including love but also money or material or professional advantage....so is life...Thailand makes no exception!

• Thanks 1

Thailand/Gross domestic product: 406.8 billion USD (2016)

Thai sex industry: 260 billion baht 

63.91 % of the Thai GDP 

unstable sector