webfact

Actor Alec Baldwin defends film maker Woody Allen as Hollywood backs away

Actor Alec Baldwin defends film maker Woody Allen as Hollywood backs away

2018-01-16T231133Z_1_LYNXMPEE0F1PM_RTROPTP_3_PEOPLE-ELTON-JOHN.JPG

Actor Alec Baldwin gestures before walking on the red carpet during the commemoration of the Elton John AIDS Foundation 25th year fall gala at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York City, in New York, U.S. November 7, 2017. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actor Alec Baldwin on Tuesday expressed support for film maker Woody Allen as a growing number of entertainment industry stars seek to distance themselves from the "Annie Hall" director as part of the Time's Up campaign against sexual misconduct.

Baldwin, who appeared in three of Allen's films, said on Twitter that the renunciation of the director and his work was "unfair and sad to me."

Baldwin said working with Allen was "one of the privileges of my career."

Allen has repeatedly denied decades-old accusations that he molested his adopted daughter Dylan when she was seven years old in the early 1990s.

But sentiment has turned against him during the sexual misconduct scandal sweeping Hollywood that has led to dozens of successful men being forced to resign or being dropped from projects.

Baldwin said he did not intend to "dismiss or ignore such complaints."

"But accusing people of such crimes should be treated carefully," he added.

Representatives of Allen did not respond to a request for comment on Tuesday. The director has never been charged with a crime.

Allen, 82, won Oscars for the films "Annie Hall," "Hannah and Her Sisters" and the 2011 comedy "Midnight in Paris," and continues to release a new movie almost every year.

Timothee Chalamet, 22, the star of gay romance "Call me By Your Name," this week became the latest actor to announce he will donate the salary he earned from an Allen movie to "Time's Up" and other causes for sexual abuse victims.

He followed Rebecca Hall, Ellen Page and Mira Sorvino who have made donations or issued regrets about working with Allen in recent weeks.

Last week "Lady Bird" director Greta Gerwig, who acted in the 2012 film "To Rome with Love," said she would not work with Allen again.

The "Time's Up" campaign against sexual harassment in the workplace was launched two weeks ago by more than 300 Hollywood industry figures.

Allen's most recent film "Wonder Wheel," distributed by Amazon Studios <AMZ.N>, has fared poorly at the North American box office taking only $1.4 million since its Dec. 1 release.

His next film "A Rainy Day in New York," starring Chalamet and also from Amazon, is due for release later this year.

(Reporting by Jill Serjeant)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-17

3 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

It's creepy but that's not what he's being held to account for.

True, but it makes one very nervous about the allegations that he was messing with an even younger one. I would completely understand backing away from a guy whose behaviour is already clearly borderline when there are other allegations out there, that's just managing risk. The people backing away from him are not outside his house with pitchforks, they're choosing not to associate with someone who may well be dodgy now that those who previously have operated with impunity have lost it. So nobody is persecuting him, he's enjoying the fruits of his actions. Don't act creepy, and people won't treat you like some creep.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I will never say that there weren't some scaly creatures making movies back in the day. But let's be realistic. Hollywood evolved out of an endless supply of pretty people with few worldly skills other than a perfect body and a lovely face. Celebrities are the play things of the super rich. Money and fame were on the table and so were the lads and lasses who were prepared to do what ever it took to get on top. To look at it now through the lens of modern puritanism is complete folly.

Your closing paragraph is irrelevant to the OP and cliche anti-male hate mongering.

Sure, Hollywood is an amoral place where ambitious and attractive young men and women play the game. Does that make sexual predation okay because that's "just the way it is"? I don't think so. And to address the point made that these things were done 40-50 years ago when morals, attitudes and society were different - yes, I agree. Although as that poster noted, there were still clear lines that were crossed back then too. But sure, we shouldn't judge actions of long ago from the lens of our current (hopefully more enlightened) times. 

I fail to see why my paragraph is irrelevant or anti-male hate mongering. It's a clearly sarcastic note that despite the so-called "war on men", men continue to completely dominate practically all affairs of humankind at all important levels. This false persecution complex also drives much of the support for Donald Trump. Claiming that we're in the midst of some witchhunt because people are now being cautious about powerful men who appear to have questionable morals in their dealings with people whom they are in a position of authority over is patently absurd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JCauto said:

Because, you know, divorcing your wife and marrying her adopted daughter who's 35 years younger than you and who was a teenager when you met is totally not creepy.

It is creepy. But I don't know that careers should be necessarily ruined for being creepy.