webfact

California parents starved 13 children, taunted them with pie - prosecutor

These two sicko deserve to be locked in a cave for the rest of their lives.    The children deserve a much better life from today forward.

Geezer

3 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

These two sicko deserve to be locked in a cave for the rest of their lives.    The children deserve a much better life from today forward.

Geezer

Unfortunately, according to reports by doctors, some of the kids have permanent neurological damage due to the years of malnutrition.   I am sure the psychological damage is just as severe, but some of that can be undone.   Neurological damage is permanent.  

On 1/20/2018 at 2:31 AM, Scott said:

Unfortunately, according to reports by doctors, some of the kids have permanent neurological damage due to the years of malnutrition.   I am sure the psychological damage is just as severe, but some of that can be undone.   Neurological damage is permanent.  

I'd like to know if they were vegan.  B12 deficiency is one of those things that can cause permanent neurological damage.

Just now, AsianAtHeart said:

I'd like to know if they were vegan.  B12 deficiency is one of those things that can cause permanent neurological damage.

No idea, but it sounds like it was long term malnutrition.   Most vegans pay attention to diet.   This family sounds more like a concentration camp diet for the kids.  

8 minutes ago, Scott said:

No idea, but it sounds like it was long term malnutrition.   Most vegans pay attention to diet.   This family sounds more like a concentration camp diet for the kids.  

Certainly malnutrition is involved, but it takes more than just a shortage of calories to cause brain damage.  I haven't heard much about brain-damaged folk from the concentration camps in Nazi Germany, for example, even though many were rescued almost on the verge of death.  Lack of vitamin B12, only sourced from animal products, is known to be a cause of brain damage.  I would really like to know more about what the children actually were eating.

51 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Certainly malnutrition is involved, but it takes more than just a shortage of calories to cause brain damage.  I haven't heard much about brain-damaged folk from the concentration camps in Nazi Germany, for example, even though many were rescued almost on the verge of death.  Lack of vitamin B12, only sourced from animal products, is known to be a cause of brain damage.  I would really like to know more about what the children actually were eating.

I think a lot of this will require a lot more information.   The dietary deficiency was long term and the abuse and isolation may also have contributed to impairment.   I think the remarks about neurological impairment were an educated guess by professionals rather than something that they have had time to evaluate in depth.