robblok

Baitcasting vs Spinning

48 minutes ago, impulse said:

Being thoughtful of your equipment is my desired outcome here...  I suspect robblok treats his expensive rods a lot better.  I know that I treat my Sage and Loomis $500-700 fly rods better than I treat the ones I have made for me at $15-30 (by the hundreds to get that price). 

It's not the fish that break the rod, it's handling damage that weakens it so it breaks when you load it up, either casting, or fighting a fish.  The higher the modulus, the thinner the wall, and the easier it is to nick it.   The other thing that will kill a graphite rod is to load it axially.  That means pushing down on the top, as would happen if you fought a fish with the rod pointed away from the water.  Like you see little kids doing when they first start out and hook a good fish.  Or if you walk into a wall with your rod tips in front of you.

I have to admit that my rods get abused a lot, moving between China, Texas, Wyoming and BKK.  Then they get switched between rod socks and rod tubes because I travel lighter when taking a taxi than I do driving my pickup.  And don't even get me started on flying with them...  All that traveling and bouncing around in vehicles takes its toll- a lot more than keeping them locked up in a proper case in a closet between trips, and lovingly looking after them on the road.

Strangely, I like the action on some of my own fly rods better than I like the Sage and Loomis.  In fact, I had a shop in China make an exact knockoff of one of the $600 rods (I won't mention which), and I rejected the sample because the 4 piece rod flexed more between the ferrules, leaving flat spots at the ferrules.  Boy, was I embarrassed when the shop engineer showed me that's exactly what my $600 sample did, too.  That one opened my eyes.

I treat them ok but still I am not the most careful person in the world I am know to abuse equipment.

I have broken my fair share of rods and had friends break their fair share of rods too (record was 3 in a day in BSR). But these were the cheaper rods. Though I don't dispute that more expensive rods can break too after being abused and or handled wrong. 

I am itching to get back to fishing.

2 hours ago, stbkk said:

Hi Impulse,

Interesting technical knowledge, and good to know. From what you said you seem to have been/are in the tackle business, and obviously know what you re talking about.

I must say I've never broken a rod ever (not too hard to achieve living in England for most of my life - not many big fish there!), and during my Bungsamran sessions the FC monsters rod has been fine so far, touch wood. I was a little dubious about paying that amount of money for one, but the tackle show demo 'hooked' me. Like you say though, I'll be a bit more thoughtful in future though.

I like the FC monster rods, I also know where the shop is to buy them (around rangsit area i think). I been there a couple of times. For stuff like fishing rods and reels i spend money. Because I am not a bar type so I don't spend loads of money in bars and on girls. You pay once for a good rod an reel and usually have years to enjoy it. The price per time using it goes down a lot and if its good quality you enjoy it more too. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, robblok said:

I treat them ok but still I am not the most careful person in the world I am know to abuse equipment.

I have broken my fair share of rods and had friends break their fair share of rods too (record was 3 in a day in BSR). But these were the cheaper rods. Though I don't dispute that more expensive rods can break too after being abused and or handled wrong. 

I go with the $$$ brands on the reels, and I won't import them simply because you can't buy spare parts for the off-brand reels.  And no matter how good they are, moving parts wear out sooner or later.  I wouldn't feel right about selling high end reels unless I could promise to keep spares in country, with a distribution system which requires deeper pockets than I have.  And there's no profit in selling low end reels unless you sell gazillions of them. 

As an alternative for my own use, there are some good quality reels made in China that I buy (if I can find that brand) for 1/4 the price of an equivalent Shimano, and I consider them disposable when a part wears out.  Still, I've had some for 15 years.

I'm not so fussy about rod brands, as long as they have a good brand of guides (Fuji or Pac Bay) and reel seat and the guide count is right and workmanship looks good.  That's my philosophy since I found out many of the big names have their rods built for them, in the same factories where I got mine made.  The profit margin is staggering on the high end. 

They're absolute geniuses at coming up with price points that see a rod or reel that costs $1 more to build, and it sells for $50 more than the lower model.  Shimano is the king at that, charging $30-50 more for a reel with one additional bearing (and different color paint) that costs them $0.25.  That's why my sphincter usually tightens up when I hear someone say "you get what you pay for".

Edit:  And I'd add that a lot of the big brands abused their reputations when they took on low end crap.  Especially when the companies were bought by vulture capitalists who offshored their manufacturing and made a killing for a few years until their 50+ year reputation was in the toilet.  

Edited by impulse

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

I go with the $$$ brands on the reels, and I won't import them simply because you can't buy spare parts for the off-brand reels.  And no matter how good they are, moving parts wear out sooner or later.  I wouldn't feel right about selling high end reels unless I could promise to keep spares in country, with a distribution system which requires deeper pockets than I have.  And there's no profit in selling low end reels unless you sell gazillions of them. 

As an alternative for my own use, there are some good quality reels made in China that I buy (if I can find that brand) for 1/4 the price of an equivalent Shimano, and I consider them disposable when a part wears out.  Still, I've had some for 15 years.

I'm not so fussy about rod brands, as long as they have a good brand of guides (Fuji or Pac Bay) and reel seat and the guide count is right and workmanship looks good.  That's my philosophy since I found out many of the big names have their rods built for them, in the same factories where I got mine made.  The profit margin is staggering on the high end. 

They're absolute geniuses at coming up with price points that see a rod or reel that costs $1 more to build, and it sells for $50 more than the lower model.  Shimano is the king at that, charging $30-50 more for a reel with one additional bearing (and different color paint) that costs them $0.25.  That's why my sphincter usually tightens up when I hear someone say "you get what you pay for".

Accurate and Avet are being repaired and maintained in Thailand. They are quite common here you see many Thais fishing with them. I have let them serviced in BSR and the fishing shop near my home services them too. So what you are saying is correct but there are exceptions. 

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Accurate and Avet are being repaired and maintained in Thailand. They are quite common here you see many Thais fishing with them. I have let them serviced in BSR and the fishing shop near my home services them too. So what you are saying is correct but there are exceptions. 

That's great.  I was aware that they were doing some service in Thailand, and I hope that expands.  As indicated in a previous post, there's quite a bit of high end fishing tackle sold in Thailand.  Avet and Accurate are pretty high end brands, and the jigging reels they sell for 8,000-15,000 baht are knocked off at 2,000-4,000 baht from some pretty decent Chinese factories.  And other Chinese factories never get the heat treatment or surface finish right, so their reels will always be junk.

I haven't seen a Ming Yang, a Line Winder, or an Ant King repair shop.  Those are 3 Chinese brands that put out some decent reels (and some real garbage if you don't choose the correct model)  They also do OEM for some brands we've probably heard of, but it's up to the importer to stock the parts and do the service.  If it's just the bearings, those are easy.  But the machined parts need to be available, too.  Otherwise, you can have a useless reel that just needs one small $0.75 part.

Is the shop open at the new BSR?  7 Seas had moved away from the old BSR, and there was only an empty shop when I visited the new BSR several months ago.  IMO, repairing fishing reels by mail/ online order and walk in could be a great career for an enterprising Thai person.  Supplemented by selling used, reconditioned high end reels and selling spare parts.

18 hours ago, impulse said:

That's great.  I was aware that they were doing some service in Thailand, and I hope that expands.  As indicated in a previous post, there's quite a bit of high end fishing tackle sold in Thailand.  Avet and Accurate are pretty high end brands, and the jigging reels they sell for 8,000-15,000 baht are knocked off at 2,000-4,000 baht from some pretty decent Chinese factories.  And other Chinese factories never get the heat treatment or surface finish right, so their reels will always be junk.

I haven't seen a Ming Yang, a Line Winder, or an Ant King repair shop.  Those are 3 Chinese brands that put out some decent reels (and some real garbage if you don't choose the correct model)  They also do OEM for some brands we've probably heard of, but it's up to the importer to stock the parts and do the service.  If it's just the bearings, those are easy.  But the machined parts need to be available, too.  Otherwise, you can have a useless reel that just needs one small $0.75 part.

Is the shop open at the new BSR?  7 Seas had moved away from the old BSR, and there was only an empty shop when I visited the new BSR several months ago.  IMO, repairing fishing reels by mail/ online order and walk in could be a great career for an enterprising Thai person.  Supplemented by selling used, reconditioned high end reels and selling spare parts.

Accurate starts at around 18k, avet is cheaper. The shop near my home repairs and services reels (they sell accurate and Avet and service them). I believe the shop in rangsit does too and at Bung Pla bug they service reels too. I havent been to the new bungsamran so I would not know. 

I know they did service reels at the old Bungsamran. When i still had shimano baitrunners (spinning). I serviced them there often. 

Good stuff  -  Mods please consider starting a Fishing Forum so all this good info is in one place - I think that will be a applauded.  Since retiring (part time) in Thailand, I have been looking for a fishing club of sorts, both Fresh and Salt water.  :wai::wai: 

16 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Good stuff  -  Mods please consider starting a Fishing Forum so all this good info is in one place - I think that will be a applauded.  Since retiring (part time) in Thailand, I have been looking for a fishing club of sorts, both Fresh and Salt water.  :wai::wai: 

This part is the fishing forum.. its tucked away but it is a fishing forum. 

AFIK its hard to do salt water fishing.. there are trips going on the andaman site that are worth it but it cost quite a bit. Most fishing in Thailand is not as good as most natural water is fished empty. So your limited to fishing parks..  For fishing your far better off in Hawaii though there are some nice fishing parks that stock mekong and these do put up a fight.

On 1/28/2018 at 5:34 PM, TunnelRat69 said:

Good stuff  -  Mods please consider starting a Fishing Forum so all this good info is in one place - I think that will be a applauded.  Since retiring (part time) in Thailand, I have been looking for a fishing club of sorts, both Fresh and Salt water.  

Quit looking and form one... 

The problem with things like that in Thailand (or most expat communities) is that, unless it feeds one of the vices (smoking, drinking, screwing and golfing) and/or can be well monetized, it's DIY deal. 

Most of the guys I know in Thailand are working and can't dedicate the time it takes to build something like that to a critical mass that will become self sustaining.   Then there's the complications of work permits and protected vocations in case it does spin off some cash, giving some locals the red eye.

That's where the expat wives have an advantage.  They usually have the time.  But they're not going to form a fishing club.

Long term retirees?  No excuses.

Edited by impulse

The shop is open at new BSR, with a reasonable selection of stuff. I didn't notice if they did any servicing or not though. It was just a couple of sales girls when I was there.

• Like 1

Not into fishing but my 10 year-old really is getting into it so I hope this is the right thread to ask the following.

His birthday coming up and he says he wants a new spinning reel (he got a new Abu Garcia graphite rod a few weeks ago). He's been messing with a baitcaster for a while (against all advice from mum who also likes to fish) so looks like he's bowing to pressure on that.

Anyway, can anyone recommend a 'starter' reel for him? I am out of the country right now but can order via lazada if they have anything suitable. Or any other mail-order options?

Thanks for any assistance.

NL

On 20/04/2018 at 4:38 PM, NanLaew said:

Not into fishing but my 10 year-old really is getting into it so I hope this is the right thread to ask the following.

His birthday coming up and he says he wants a new spinning reel (he got a new Abu Garcia graphite rod a few weeks ago). He's been messing with a baitcaster for a while (against all advice from mum who also likes to fish) so looks like he's bowing to pressure on that.

Anyway, can anyone recommend a 'starter' reel for him? I am out of the country right now but can order via lazada if they have anything suitable. Or any other mail-order options?

Thanks for any assistance.

NL

NL,

Just to make one thing clear if he already has a rod then that rod is either suited for bait-caster or spinning (can't be both). It has something to do how the bank (rod) bends and the eyes on the rod. 

Its also important to know what he is fishing for, the smaller the fish the smaller the reel / bait-caster. If you give a bit more information we might be helpful. 

15 hours ago, robblok said:

NL,

Just to make one thing clear if he already has a rod then that rod is either suited for bait-caster or spinning (can't be both). It has something to do how the bank (rod) bends and the eyes on the rod. 

Its also important to know what he is fishing for, the smaller the fish the smaller the reel / bait-caster. If you give a bit more information we might be helpful. 

Hey Robb,

It's an Abu Garcia Vengeance spinning rod. Got it for 800 baht. He's out fishing with mum, granny and the neighbors at the local Udon fishing ponds and talks about catching 'snakeheads' a lot. He's 10 years-old, above average height/reach (dad's genes!) so hoping that helps narrow down the reel options.

Thanks!

NL

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Hey Robb,

It's an Abu Garcia Vengeance spinning rod. Got it for 800 baht. He's out fishing with mum, granny and the neighbors at the local Udon fishing ponds and talks about catching 'snakeheads' a lot. He's 10 years-old, above average height/reach (dad's genes!) so hoping that helps narrow down the reel options.

Thanks!

NL

Hi,

If he has a spinning rod, then your limited to spinning reels. We are talking snake heads so (I assume not giant snakeheads) so that means a smaller spinnig reel probably with some braid on it. I have to admit I am not much of a expert when it comes to lure / predator fishing. 

Let me look a bit, but whatever you do don't buy a baitcaster as its a spinning rod. 

https://sportfishin.asia/snakehead-fishing/beginners-guide-to-snakehead-fishing-how-to-get-started/

Edited by robblok

6 hours ago, robblok said:

Hi,

If he has a spinning rod, then your limited to spinning reels. We are talking snake heads so (I assume not giant snakeheads) so that means a smaller spinnig reel probably with some braid on it. I have to admit I am not much of a expert when it comes to lure / predator fishing. 

Let me look a bit, but whatever you do don't buy a baitcaster as its a spinning rod. 

https://sportfishin.asia/snakehead-fishing/beginners-guide-to-snakehead-fishing-how-to-get-started/

Thanks for that. He has other rods that he used when trying out baitcasting. Thanks for the link, I will look for a lightweight spinning reel... or rather tell mum to get him one! He's already clued up on the braided line, swivels and lures, just needs the new reel for now and see how far he gets.