rooster59

Bangkok's Somali refugees persecuted and living in fear

On 1/22/2018 at 7:14 PM, foxboy said:

Unfortunately you will get lambasted for making a statement like this, but what you say is true. The people who migrate away from problem areas are usually the fittest, the smartest, the most dissatisfied and yet the best equipped to stay and make changes to their own country. What they are actually doing is abandoning their countrymen, the weaker, the poorer the less healthy ones who aren't equipped to flee their impoverished nations. So the problems are actually intensified for those left behind. Are we really supposed to encourage this? It doesn't help to solve the fundamental problems, that can only be solved from within.

Yes no one thinks about who all these young men leave behind and how they live. I am glad you brought this to this thread thank you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lovelomsak said:
On 1/22/2018 at 7:14 PM, foxboy said:

Unfortunately you will get lambasted for making a statement like this, but what you say is true. The people who migrate away from problem areas are usually the fittest, the smartest, the most dissatisfied and yet the best equipped to stay and make changes to their own country. What they are actually doing is abandoning their countrymen, the weaker, the poorer the less healthy ones who aren't equipped to flee their impoverished nations. So the problems are actually intensified for those left behind. Are we really supposed to encourage this? It doesn't help to solve the fundamental problems, that can only be solved from within.

Yes no one thinks about who all these young men leave behind and how they live. I am glad you brought this to this thread thank you.

what a relief! thanks to both of you. now i can sleep well again. yawnnn... :coffee1:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

So true but many people live in denial about it.

Not true at all really. 

Having said that, better denial than prejudice. 

• Sad 1

On 21/01/2018 at 11:12 AM, Destiny1990 said:

Ship them to Europe we will give them free houses, free monthly 900 euros a month till rest of their life, free passport, free medical, free lawyers and lateron they may bring over all their family members.. because they are refugees so that what we need to do...Read they above if anyone still wonder why they keep coming..

Meanwhile there no money for our elderly but who cares.

Surely the NHS will be prepared to spare some of it's extra 350 million a week to te elderly?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

If you knew anything about what these people flee from and what they actually do do for those left behind you would not have been glad that nonsense was posted.  Men escaping Eritrea are escaping forced life long unpaid conscription, they are escaping slavery, staying and being enslaved in the army does not help those left behind at all, in fact it legitimizes what is happening, the more who get out the better, eventually they will have to stop doing it.  And immigrants do actually tend to send money home and help out in that way, and when the average wage is less than $100 per month it does not take much earnings in a Western country to make a real difference back home.

• Like 1

Here's an eye opener.

When posters comment on refugees, they always talk about the small number of refugees close to home (Europe, UK, US, Thailand).

Yet their numbers are insignificant.

Here are the latest numbers per host - country (and other info):

http://www.unhcr.org/figures-at-a-glance.html

• Like 2

Just now, oldhippy said:

Here's an eye opener.

When posters comment on refugees, they always talk about the small number of refugees close to home (Europe, UK, US, Thailand).

haven't read that link yet old hippy but will have a look. theres loads up in bkk. loads. i think more of a stop off. but i've  chatted with quite a few from syria etc

More:

What countries take in the most refugees?
Jordan, which has taken in more than 2.7 million people, was named as the top refugee hosting country, followed by Turkey, over 2.5 million; Pakistan, 1.6 million; and Lebanon, more than 1.5 million. The other top six nations were Iran, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Democratic Republic of Congo and Chad.
And:

Which Countries Host The Most Refugees Relative To Size And Wealth

UNHCR compares a country’s refugee population to its overall population and to its global domestic product (GDP). The goal is to evaluate the contributions of host countries.

Refugees per 1,000 inhabitants

• Lebanon
  • Jordan
  • Nauru
  • Turkey
  • Chad
  • South Sudan
  • Sweden
  • Djibouti
  • Malta
  • Mauritania

Refugees per $1 million in GDP

• South Sudan
  • Chad
  • Uganda
  • Lebanon
  • Burundi
  • Niger
  • Rwanda
  • Jordan
  • Mauritania
  • Cameroon

Notes

The graphic does not include data for Palestinian refugees, who for historical reasons are under the jurisdiction of UNRWA.

Copy paste is not to clear, you can find better layout at

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2017/03/27/518217052/chart-where-the-worlds-refugees-are

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

More:

What countries take in the most refugees?
Jordan, which has taken in more than 2.7 million people, was named as the top refugee hosting country, followed by Turkey, over 2.5 million; Pakistan, 1.6 million; and Lebanon, more than 1.5 million. The other top six nations were Iran, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Democratic Republic of Congo and Chad.
And:

Which Countries Host The Most Refugees Relative To Size And Wealth

UNHCR compares a country’s refugee population to its overall population and to its global domestic product (GDP). The goal is to evaluate the contributions of host countries.

Refugees per 1,000 inhabitants

• Lebanon
  • Jordan
  • Nauru
  • Turkey
  • Chad
  • South Sudan
  • Sweden
  • Djibouti
  • Malta
  • Mauritania

Refugees per $1 million in GDP

• South Sudan
  • Chad
  • Uganda
  • Lebanon
  • Burundi
  • Niger
  • Rwanda
  • Jordan
  • Mauritania
  • Cameroon

Notes

The graphic does not include data for Palestinian refugees, who for historical reasons are under the jurisdiction of UNRWA.

Copy paste is not to clear, you can find better layout at

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2017/03/27/518217052/chart-where-the-worlds-refugees-are

This is the legal count right what countries have the most refugees with illegal in the mix. I bet none of these countries would make that list.

7 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

This is the legal count right what countries have the most refugees with illegal in the mix. I bet none of these countries would make that list.

Illegal refugees?  What?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

1 minute ago, Kieran00001 said:

Illegal refugees?  What?

I am sure lovelomsak will clarify his post, as it is not really clear to me what he means - I am not a native English speaker.

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

I am sure lovelomsak will clarify his post, as it is not really clear to me what he means - I am not a native English speaker.

Perhaps My english leaves something to be desired also. Sorry about that

What was I tried to ask or point out was that the count of refugees in the countries done by unhcr  was a count of legal refugees. I feel if the count included illegal refugees or illegal  immigrants( that say they are refugees ))many of these countries would not even make the list,in the top 20

Edited by lovelomsak

4 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

Perhaps My english leaves something to be desired also. Sorry about that

What was I tried to ask or point out was that the count of refugees in the countries done by unhcr  was a count of legal refugees. I feel if the count included illegal refugees or illegal  immigrants( that say they are refugees ))many of these countries would not even make the list,in the top 20

You may have a point about recognised / not recognised refugees.

But still, if you include the "illegal" refugees / immigrants into the UK or German numbers, it would be impossible to come anywhere near the numbers of some much poorer countries: Turkey 2.000.000 / Pakistan 1.500.000 / Iran 1.000.000 etc.

The refugee crisis burdons the poor countries far more than us. That does not mean there is no urgent problem in our countries, but it certainly puts things in a perspective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Here's an eye opener.

OldHippy,

Very interesting, indeed.

Thanks for that.

• Like 1