BANGKOK 21 November 2018 21:42
JimShorts

Bangkok Air Pollution

Bangkok is one of the ugliest, most overcrowded and most polluted Third World cities on earth. Why anyone in their right mind would want to live in the middle of that contaminated concrete jungle is a more relevant question. Anyone care to answer?

Edited by Thainess

I love living in Bangkok, such an amazing city in so many ways. The car traffic and air pollution is the only downside IMO. Reduce the number of cars in half, enforce stricter emissions rules and it would be a perfect version of a big city. 

• Like 1

I visited a dear Indian friend once in Kolkata. We dined at his home where the cook prepared a coconut-based curry of a fish known as Ilish in that part of the world. It's apparently an expensive delicacy which Bengalis feast upon on special occasions.

The fish was indeed delicious with a soft, tender and oily sweet flesh. However, it  had bones - many, many fine bones strewn through every piece. You had no choice but to use your fingers, putting small portions in your mouth, chewing carefully and picking the bones from your lips as you did so. It sounds difficult but it didn't take too long to get the hang of it. It did help that the curry was out of the world.

As we ate my friend explained why a Hindu god had made the Ilish so bony. It was so that mortals do justice to it's heavenly flavor. The bones make it impossible to gulp down an Ilish meal. You have to carefully chew every bite causing the flesh to yield all its oils and fragrance.

So, when I see the pollution, traffic and other problems we face in Bangkok, I think of them as little bones that make us savor the delights otherwise of this magnificent city.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, JimShorts said:

The air pollution is really unhealthy again. It has been over 150 for the last two days. 

It's normal for Bangkok at this time of year. Why not just get yourself a HEPA air purifier and stop worrying about it?

It’s worse now. Unfortunately no news talk about it. It’s actually very dangerous at this rate. Even in Beijing, at around 200, they’ll not be allowing students to go to schools. And you can see that the worst comes from Isaan. Thus the crops burning fields is the culprit 

831C5EFB-ADD4-4C98-92D3-9ED08BA6D73C.png

EC477808-3CC8-48A2-925C-5B8E2A2E25C4.png

2 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

It's normal for Bangkok at this time of year. Why not just get yourself a HEPA air purifier and stop worrying about it?

And sit inside with all windows closed while it's nice cool weather?

Right now i smell a fire burning not far from our moobaan...it's always during cold nights that we smell it and there's no wind at all.

Even in BKK it's normal to do this, there's nobody at all who cares for clean air.

2 hours ago, Thian said:

Right now i smell a fire burning not far from our moobaan...it's always during cold nights that we smell it and there's no wind at all.

Even in BKK it's normal to do this, there's nobody at all who cares for clean air.

The thing is a lot of these air quality monitoring stations are located on the tops of government buildings. The air that we are all exposed to on a daily basis is much worse. There was a study of tuk tuk drivers and how much pm2.5 they are breathing in. The results were pretty horrific regardless of the season. If you're walking around the streets of Bangkok with the barbecue smoke,  the buses and the dodgy motorbikes, how healthy do you think that is? Do you really think a little smartphone app gives you all the information you need about the air you breathe?

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Thian said:

And sit inside with all windows closed while it's nice cool weather?

If I liked

sitting outside I wouldn't choose to live in Bangkok.

13 hours ago, nonameidentified said:

It’s worse now. Unfortunately no news talk about it. It’s actually very dangerous at this rate. Even in Beijing, at around 200, they’ll not be allowing students to go to schools. And you can see that the worst comes from Isaan. Thus the crops burning fields is the culprit 

831C5EFB-ADD4-4C98-92D3-9ED08BA6D73C.png

EC477808-3CC8-48A2-925C-5B8E2A2E25C4.png

How come the numbers on your app is much higher than  reported here: http://aqicn.org/city/bangkok/

Different unit?