rooster59

‘Better if you do’: Phuket Immigration chief urges foreigners to re-register addresses, even if staying off-island just one night

This is (supposed to be done) by your landlord or juristic office (depending on their committee rules) to file the TM28 with immigration.  This is done more in Chiang Mai, than any other place I have seen.  Not done in Bangkok as there are simply too many expats who vaca and put their dollars into the Thai economy (gee .. there is a novel strategy; treat resident expats nicely)

https://www.thai888.com/tm28-thai-immigration-notice-of-change-of-address/

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, johnc925 said:

This is (supposed to be done) by your landlord or juristic office (depending on their committee rules) to file the TM28 with immigration

Sorry, but that is incorrect information, a TM28 is filed only when you change your PERMANENT address and this has to be filed by you in person.

A TM30 can be filed by several means, if staying in a registered hotel or guest house, then they should be doing this for you, if staying in rented accommodation, then the landlord should report you, the issue is, most will not, as they seem to think there is link to income taxes if they make this report and wish to stay below the radar, immigration will gladly fine you as the renter, loads of examples of this on other forums.

The interesting part, is that there does not appear to be a national database, so if this is the case, for example you stayed at a hotel in Bangkok for two nights and returned back home, immigration in Phuket (or any other province outside of BKK) would not actually know you had been to BKK!

Edited by Mattd
  • Like 2

It looks as the immigrant officers want to hold all the farangs' hands ....:unsure:

Edited by nabbie
grammar

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

photo caption:

"I thought of this all by myself."

And he also thought, whilst rubbing his hands, All those lovely 2,000Baht fines will be Mine, all Mine!

I hope he will write to all those registered as staying in his area to advise them of this?

Edited by laislica
  • Like 1

I have a friend who works in Malaysia and returns to Phuket every weekend. He has given up with the whole mess and has decided to take one weekend out elsewhere and just enters on a 30 day visitor. This was due to the fact that arriving back on a Friday evening, or Saturday morning, he was subject to the fine as he couldn't register because the immigration office is closed for the weekend. Good common sense on behalf of the Thais, introduce a system, then have no resources to support it and take out your ineptitude on others.

Apply this over time and eventually you lose people. You gotta face it, the Thais don't want you there, be you good, or bad, they just want you all gone. They want lots and lots of Chinese and moving further East is not the long term solution, as eventually it will all be a Chinese peninsular...The Great Wall is expanding in the form of a new 'silk road'.

• Thanks 2

Suppose, have to go to Bangkok to visit the Embassy, have to stay in a hotel for one night.

Then come back home and have to register again.

Can immigration please tell me, why?

Come to check if I am really at home, while I presented myself already?

But, if I rent it is not my duty to register but the landlord's.

They come to check?

And if the landlord doesn't notify immigration it comes down on my head?

• Like 2