nopsled

Do I have enough money?

18 hours ago, JOC said:

Yes just over 7.5%....Even better for me...bought at the IPO and have since added on price-drops.

For a retail investor you don't get a much better deal...!!

Just last week (26/1-18) Morgan Stanley bought 380.000.000 units in a deal worth 4.4 billion baht (Average price 11.60)

How does someone like myself with no knowledge of the stock market invest in this fund please ?

Edited by YorkshireTyke
Typo

3 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

How does someone like myself with no knowledge of the stock market invest in this fund please ?

You need to open a trading account. If you use one of the major banks here, they will have their own brokerage, who will be able to help you with the paperwork.....plenty of it....!! I opened my trading account with Kasikorn Securities more than 10 years ago and then you had to invest minimum 1 million baht as a foreigner to get approved. It might differ from bank to bank....With a trading account in place it is just to buy/sell on line. Every 3 months the dividends will go into your savings account......http://www.settrade.com/C04_01_stock_quote_p1.jsp?txtSymbol=JASIF&ssoPageId=9&selectPage=

100,000 baht per month living expenses? We live quite comfortably on less than 40,000 baht per month in rural Thailand.

Edited by Ahab
grammar

9 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Thankyou JOC. I have accounts with Kasikorn and Krungsri so I will ask the question.

Many banks offers online SET trading for foreigners – you'll need to buy "NVR" (No Voting Rights"), which you can set default in the online platform – in SCB you'll need only 30,000 baht to open online trading, other banks probably similar...:smile:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, khunPer said:

Many banks offers online SET trading for foreigners – you'll need to buy "NVR" (No Voting Rights"), which you can set default in the online platform – in SCB you'll need only 30,000 baht to open online trading, other banks probably similar...:smile:

It is called NVDR (Non-Voting Depository Receipt)......

And many funds don't issue NVDR's....In the case of JASIF you will have to buy local shares and convert them into F (foreign) shares to get the dividend. It is just a formality...signing a piece of paper with your broker. And when you want to sell, you will have to convert back to local shares again. JASIF-F is listed, but there are hardly any trade in them....

• Thanks 2

On 2/1/2018 at 1:14 PM, JOC said:

Invest your money in a local infrastructure fund: JASIF

Does anyone happen to know if it's possible to use stock holdings as proof of funds for visa purposes (the ฿400K/800K required by Non-O/A)?

45 minutes ago, moana said:

Does anyone happen to know if it's possible to use stock holdings as proof of funds for visa purposes (the ฿400K/800K required by Non-O/A)?

The short answer is no.

In theory you could move your money to a trading account after the extension and get at least 2 quarterly dividends before moving the money back to the savings account.....IMO too risky, since the unit prices fluctuate and you might end up with nothing...

24 minutes ago, JOC said:

In theory you could move your money to a trading account after the extension and get at least 2 quarterly dividends before moving the money back to the savings account

Yes, not worth it if it must be moved about.

I wanted to be able to show proof that I own stocks in value amounting to at least the required sum. Not sure why immigration disallows it, since publicly traded stocks are easy to liquidate. Immigration obviously doesn't care about fluctuations in value, because they do allow presenting proof of funds stored in other currencies (which obviously fluctuate quite a bit).

I'll inquire on my next immigration visit.

6 hours ago, moana said:

No, you cannot, at least at the Immigration that I use; only a Thai bank deposit, including fixed deposits (if the money can be withdrawn at any time).

Some years back I could use a so-called Fund Book with a mutual fund in fairly safe bonds, but as that was "investment with a risk", the Immigration stopped accepting Fund Books; and stocks are higher risk, than fairly safe bonds.

10 hours ago, moana said:

Yes, not worth it if it must be moved about.

I wanted to be able to show proof that I own stocks in value amounting to at least the required sum. Not sure why immigration disallows it, since publicly traded stocks are easy to liquidate. Immigration obviously doesn't care about fluctuations in value, because they do allow presenting proof of funds stored in other currencies (which obviously fluctuate quite a bit).

I'll inquire on my next immigration visit.

There are more than 1000 listed stocks on SET.....Do you really expect the immigration officer on any given day being able to trace the prices of your stocks 3 months back, to make sure that the value has not dropped below the magic 800k..?

(With average Thai math skills it would probably take a week)

Why ask questions here, if you don't believe the replies...?

16 hours ago, JOC said:

Why ask questions here, if you don't believe the replies...?

I didn't say I don't believe you, I absolutely believe that this was your experience, and @khunPer as well. I just don't see a reason not to ask, since I'm already there. We all know rules change based on location, timing, and the specific officer. Won't hurt to get another data point.

BTW, when presented with a foreign currency account, do they actually bother to find the lowest exchange rate in the last 3 months to make sure it never went below the required sum?

13 hours ago, moana said:

I didn't say I don't believe you, I absolutely believe that this was your experience, and @khunPer as well. I just don't see a reason not to ask, since I'm already there. We all know rules change based on location, timing, and the specific officer. Won't hurt to get another data point.

BTW, when presented with a foreign currency account, do they actually bother to find the lowest exchange rate in the last 3 months to make sure it never went below the required sum?

For a foreign deposit account the bank will issue a letter for immigration converting the foreign currency into Thai Baht....You just need to make sure to have extra in the account to allow for currency fluctuation...

On 2/4/2018 at 5:48 PM, rickudon said:

Ok, like the rest, i have to say you do not have enough. I came to Thailand 8 years ago expecting to live on 30,000 baht a month (i.e. an amount less than my pension at that time). I also had about 50,000 GBP in savings.

Reality. I have never spent less than 40,000 baht per month. I had to buy a car. My wife had a daughter (the anchor). She had a house (old) with a mortgage, house renovations and repairs over those 8 years cost about 500,000 baht, but at least the mortgage was small (3,000 baht a month) so OK over that period. Then we had Brexit and lost 20% of my income (in baht).By last year the savings were nearly gone. My Mum died, but at 94 the nursing home had taken most of my inheritance, so only topped up my savings again. Thankfully i now have state pension and sometimes have money left!

We live life watching every baht we spend. i do not smoke, rarely drink, and only holiday i have is to see family in UK once a year. I do not have health insurance. I would not recommend that anyone comes to retire in Thailand  without an income of AT LEAST 40,000 baht a month, unless you are one of those freaks who think living in a fan cooled room and eating street food is living!

Could i live on less? Yes. But it would mean giving up to many things i like. and would make life less enjoyable.

20,000Bht is enough for a retired single man living a life way beyond anything he could imagine in any of the white English speaking homelands. More if you want a younger local wife and children.

Rick has chosen the wife/house/car/kids path which will cost 40-50K/month (as have I), but I know plenty of happy retired single men choosing the condo/beer/hooker life on 20K/month. How much you need entirely depends on your chosen lifestyle.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Thanks 1