Jump to content
BANGKOK 20 October 2018 17:19
jayboy

Restrictions on Thai children educated at international schools

Recommended Posts

I understand that Thai children educated at international schools have certain restrictions placed upon them when considering university education here in Thailand.Is this true and can anybody supply me with a reference to the details

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to ask at the international school if they have students included in the 'quota' system for the medical degrees. At government schools theres a set number of gifted students who are placed into the 'quota' system to get into medicine or dentistry degrees. Every govt school offers this. But Im unsure about international students. I think my wife indicated that we would not send our child to an international school for that reason but I have to check. If your child is an 'average' student then its not applicable and probably best to stay in the international school. 

 

If you find out more info on this please post it here. We know about this bc my wife was accepted in the quota system. After they finish their degree they are bound to a short term contract with the govt but can work in the private sector part time as well in their own time. 

 

Edited by davidst01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, manchega said:

Your children will either learn to swim in a Thai uni or drown under superstitious nonsense, bureaucracy, and hirarchy.

About 60% of my teens university course is dance, sport, prayer and king worship.

(International Business Studies)

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, manchega said:

I believe it is to do with the system of learning.

The international school will teach your children to be independent thinkers, able to question theory and question nonsense teachings.

the Thai school will teach your children to work as a team, do as they are told and obey those of higher age, status, rank etc.

 

Your children will either learn to swim in a Thai uni or drown under superstitious nonsense, bureaucracy, and hirarchy.

 

Would you really want to teach the creativity and independent/critical thinking out of your child for the opportunity to attend a third class education? 

I think you don't have much experience with either international schools or Thai universities. No Thai university is any different from the primary or secondary system. They rely greatly on rote learning. The kids do learn to think creatively and independently, but they also learn not to display that to their teachers. It's the same everywhere. International schools may give more training in how to use libraries, but otherwise they follow the same education system as the country their founder originated from. They give different emphasis to different subject matter than Thai schools, but otherwise there is no difference. Do you really think the schools in France or Germany teach their students to think independently? One exception I've seen -- I read a teacher's manual for teachers of high school level mathematics published in the old Soviet Union. It stressed teaching independent thinking and creativity.

Edited by Acharn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

About 60% of my teens university course is dance, sport, prayer and king worship.

(International Business Studies)

Pretty sad , but maybe as mentioned the quota system only affects the higher degrees 

Worried about MaeJo's comment & now I know why everyone gets a degree (thousands of them ) & work in 7/11's 

I think I would rather send my lad to a Technical College  (I did have a very good electrician do a house ) as most of these degrees are only reconised in Thailand 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Yep, my teen does all the homework and course works for her group of 10, assisted by 1 other girl.

The other 8 copy her finished product ......... they only provide refreshments while she works.

 That sounds very familiar.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Yep, my teen does all the homework and course works for her group of 10, assisted by 1 other girl.

The other 8 copy her finished product ......... they only provide refreshments while she works.

Thanks for that information – and also the other post about uni-dancing etc. – it reminds me as real life version of the recent No.1 Box Office Thai movie "Bad Genius" (really worth watching, by the way)...:smile:

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Thanks for that information – and also the other post about uni-dancing etc. – it reminds me as real life version of the recent No.1 Box Office Thai movie "Bad Genius" (really worth watching, by the way)...:smile:

Thanks for the movie suggestion, trailer looks good,  just downloading ......

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well to reply to those that quoted me.  It seems our education systems all over the world are letting kids down.  We make them jump through pointless hoops which will be of little value industrially.

yes some of the students may be exceptional , as they are everywhere, but tamasat, is known amongst thai 's for being a place where you send your kids if you have money......

 

were you to see the output from thai uni students in an scientific subject you would understand.......

That is my view of it.  But it is not isolated to thailand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2018 at 10:27 AM, manchega said:

I believe it is to do with the system of learning.

The international school will teach your children to be independent thinkers, able to question theory and question nonsense teachings.

the Thai school will teach your children to work as a team, do as they are told and obey those of higher age, status, rank etc.

 

Your children will either learn to swim in a Thai uni or drown under superstitious nonsense, bureaucracy, and hirarchy.

 

Would you really want to teach the creativity and independent/critical thinking out of your child for the opportunity to attend a third class education? 

You have no idea what you are talking about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sponsors
×