BANGKOK 22 October 2018 10:21
jayboy

Restrictions on Thai children educated at international schools

1 minute ago, BEVUP said:

I mentioned the overseas bit as it is knovvn in that community that Thais buy their degrees, but I also knovv they vvould be subject to practical & theory tests (vvhich may be up to a year ) before they could break out alone - this goes for many from (maybe ) certain countries 

Honestly, this does not sound like something smart people do. I think it rumor and blather.

I've no idea but I think doctors might have a huge number of hurdles. Two additional years of school, an internship, the exams...

Even someone not that clever would be able to learn that in order for them to practice in - a western country, they will need to pass exams and obtain licences. I doubt any of the faculties of medicine here are recognized by any regional board in the west. No idea. I could see someone graduating from Khon Kaen desiring to buy a degree from the top three but honestly in US it doesn't matter which school you graduate from, only that they are fully accredited. The professional must pass the exams.

For all intents and purposes degrees cannot be bought from top universities here. It might not be Singapore, but this is not the Philippines either.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

It might not be Singapore, but this is not the Philippines either.

Actually I see quite a fevv philippines as Trades men compared to 1 thai in the heavy construction industry in Auss

& as for professionals, I don't recall seeing any Thais

Edited by BEVUP
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Actually I see quite a fevv philippines as Trades men compared to 1 thai in the heavy construction industry in Auss

It's not their technical ability is better, it's their fluency in English. Most likely they have degrees in engineering, but still only doing trades jobs in construction. They often graduate with full medical degrees but only become nurses in US. Those with nursing degrees change bedsheets and pans.

Thailand is leaps and bounds ahead of the Philippines. Only university of Manila, the only school with a QS score in the whole of the nation. 125m people.

16 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

That is the crux of it.

Working in the medical system in Oz-I saw no Thais-plenty from the Philippines,India (esp Kerala) Hong Kong and,latterly, South Korea.

On 2/6/2018 at 2:55 PM, DavisH said:

SIIT (Thammasart University). Mahidol and Chula have similar programs in science, business, engineering, etc. 

image.png.1e9d58a278e7b7f734e2f924b2f79b88.png

image.png.fb9f5b65c03d8ea42268004e9523ccc3.pngimage.png.b3bf7aec68e10d77f605040f981cc6c9.png

You do have be careful and research your university and the degree that is offered. For example the thammasat degree in medicine is from an English programme and the dental is from a bilingual programme. Neither are international programmes. meaning neither has accreditation internationally. The degree would not be accepted in another country and might not even be accepted for top paying jobs in some cases in Thailand. There are many engineering management degrees, but let's not confuse that with a civil engineering degree. It's like chalk and cheese. Also be careful with the first one. Which is actually a bachelor of English with various topics pegged onto it as a major. So for example, I did a diploma in childhood education with credits in business. The part that was accredited was the business section. The early childhood was just a few modules from a proper childhood degree. In the end the diploma was useless to the field that I wanted. It's easy for the uni to make it look like you have an engineering degree when in fact you don't. 

• Like 1

Have experience of UK University admissions,
Interviews are selected entirely on predicted grade, all candidates offered an interview, are offered a conditional place.
Personal statements are not read, interviews are mainly a sales pitch.

Not the case at Oxford and Cambridge to my certain knowledge and probably not also at other elite universities (Russell Group).

The reason for this is that at Oxbridge there are an excess of applications with A grade passes than places available.The interview is therefore seen as a critical means of assessing the candidates who would benefit from an Oxbridge education.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jayboy said:

Not the case at Oxford and Cambridge to my certain knowledge and probably not also at other elite universities (Russell Group).

The reason for this is that at Oxbridge there are an excess of applications with A grade passes than places available.The interview is therefore seen as a critical means of assessing the candidates who would benefit from an Oxbridge education.

Let me try and explain,

Universities are places that make money, it's a business and nothing more.

To make money all places need to be filled for the length of the course.

At the universities to which I had access, they offered 3x the places they had available at impossibly high pass requirements (AAA or AAAA)

Then after the exams were over and the results were in, they would take all the AAA students, then 'reluctantly' accept lower grades until all places +10% were filled.

During the first year 10% of students would fail or drop out, leaving years 2/3/4 at full capacity.

Don't really care about Oxbridge, they were different as they often had many students entering into 'preferred places', no need for good grades, mummy and daddy were important enough that their kids didn't need A grade passes to get places.

Also to be mentioned is the places for foreign students, grades not important just money. 

Edited by MaeJoMTB

50 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Let me try and explain,

Universities are places that make money, it's a business and nothing more.

To make money all places need to be filled for the length of the course.

At the universities to which I had access, they offered 3x the places they had available at impossibly high pass requirements (AAA or AAAA)

Then after the exams were over and the results were in, they would take all the AAA students, then 'reluctantly' accept lower grades until all places +10% were filled.

During the first year 10% of students would fail or drop out, leaving years 2/3/4 at full capacity.

Don't really care about Oxbridge, they were different as they often had many students entering into 'preferred places', no need for good grades, mummy and daddy were important enough that their kids didn't need A grade passes to get places.

Also to be mentioned is the places for foreign students, grades not important just money. 

You are stunningly ignorant about Oxbridge admissions (I'm talking undergraduate level), with a dollop it seems of old fashioned chip on the shoulder class prejudice.

If you would like to know exactly why you are talking nonsense about Oxbridge,I would be happy to enlighten you.On post graduate admissions you may have a point but not a very good one.

The tragedy is that some very bright children are discouraged by ignoramus teachers with low expectations for their charges from applying on the grounds "Oxbridge isn't for people like you." Fortunately there are some excellent outreach programmes now.

Elite universities like Oxford and Cambridge are not primarily money making businesses as you bizarrely claim.Your logic is also askew since if what you claim is true, Oxford and Cambridge would not consistently appear in the top 10 of all international university rankings.That couldn't happen if students were less than first rate quality.

My little girl is going to be first....Airline Hostess....then Movie Star.....I'm set.