snoop1130

British man in need of major heart surgery highlights dangers for expats living in Thailand without health insurance

He needs to return to UK, and simply declare himself resident.  It really is the only option.  Ultimately, he will get what he needs but authorities could make it difficult for him (unlikely).  Suggest he throws his passport away the moment he clears immigration.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Always keep mine up to date. 

Good for you. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

If that is BUPA Thailand, they guarantee lifetime cover if you enrol before a certain age. They will not issue a new policy to a 65 year old, but your cover should continue.

Premiums will, however, rise substantially as you age.

Yes, it is BUPA Thailand and i have been in it for 21yrs as part of a group policy arranged by my company, renewed annually and partly paid by us. When we retire, the agreement lapses. You can reapply as an individual but it will be treated as a new application, pre-existing ailments disallowed. And premiums (today) are around 120k at 65yrs rising exponentially as you age.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

How old is Graham? If he is over 65...

In that video clip, he looks to be in his 50's.

Why oh why doesn't he have medical insurance? (Too late now - he will be uninsurable for anything involving his heart).

I'm a poor teacher in Myanmar. But I still saw the sense of getting $500,000 private medical insurance cover plus emergency evacuation to a BKK hospital. HCI charge me $75 per month (I'm 58 years old).

Updated to correct name of my insurance company - Health Care International Edited by simon43
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nasrullah said:

Me thinks so too.......And he better do it quick

With two arteries gone, and one down to 10%, not sure he can fly, if they let him? He might have to swim...

6 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

He needs to return to UK, and simply declare himself resident.  It really is the only option.  Ultimately, he will get what he needs but authorities could make it difficult for him (unlikely).  Suggest he throws his passport away the moment he clears immigration.

The problem with both this and suggestions he go to India is that he is probably nto stable enough to fly. He has had a recent heart attack and has seriously compromised blood flow to the heart.

I susopect that the price quote may be from a private hospital, though, and switching to a government hospital would reduce it by about a third. Still not cheap, of course, and should he have nay complications could reach 1 million baht even in govt hospital, but if al goes well he could likely get it done for around 300K.

• Like 1

I use to think that Thailand  is a cheap place to live in ,but not now ,as has been said ,for self-insurance,1 million seems to be the ballpark figure ,then if you are on retirement  visa 800k in the bank , altogether  that amounts to a lot of money ,I would say for a good deal of farangs ,not easy to find ,I am from the uk the way the GBP is performing even more difficult to find .

But the  other side of the coin that 1.8 millon baht   now in pound sterling would keep me going for a while in the uk ,I still have my own flat to live in , once I get my feet back under the table ,I can get back in to the uk NHS ,think I could endue uk winters for a lot more piece of mind,and yes I would miss LOS ,but at 60years old plus piece of mind is becoming more importaint ,I have health insurance ,but how much longer can I afford the premiums..   

• Like 2

I get BUPA for 53k per annum, no outpatient though.

Edited by wgdanson