kikenyoy

What does it mean to "sound like you're from Isaan"?

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

Sometimes people also tell me i speak like Isaan, but i never use any Isaan words, i learned Thai mostly from people from Bangkok. When i asked them why they think i speak like Isaan they mostly say it's my pronunciation. Maybe it has to do with the mother tongue and how we pronounce things, mine is German, what is yours?

American English (California).

On 06/02/2018 at 1:31 AM, eric67 said:

Every time my teacher tells me I sound like I’m from Isan, it’s always when I’m using the wrong tone.

Sometimes she says I’m from Saraburi too, no idea what that sounds like... 😄

The comment is also an insult and, racial slur sometimes used by Thais to insult other Thais whether from Issan or not.  This teacher is actually demeaning you. 

12 hours ago, The manic said:

The comment is also an insult and, racial slur sometimes used by Thais to insult other Thais whether from Issan or not.  This teacher is actually demeaning you. 

I know her better than you, and I can assure you that the only one doing the demeaning here is you.

• Haha 1

Perhaps this is a question of สำเนียง rather than the words chosen I did some research yesterday on the pronunciation of ไหม again, my caddy from Lopburi says ไหม but the golfers from Bangkok say มั้ย. I know that สุพรรณบุรี calls itself เมืองเหน่อ being proud of the way they speak and having เสียงเหน่อ did come up in the syntax topic of mine,. I realise that สุพรรณบุรี is not Isaan but perhaps Bangkok people say to themselves that in ไหม ฉัน เขา  I sound as though I come from Isaan. 

• Like 1

OP you need to say more about how this is being said and by whom. Some Bangkokians look down on those from Issan, calling them country people and a few other more pejorative expressions. I have friends who have said 'that person sounded like he from issan' as if to say he sounded a bit dim. Did you piss anyone off before they said these things? It's possible they are referring to pronunciation errors as several have posted but you need to say a bit more as they could be suggesting you sound like someone from a lower class of background also. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2018 at 12:52 PM, kikenyoy said:

I believe all of the people who have said it to me have been from Issan. ..

Years ago in Loei, I hailed a pedicab and told him "to market" - By Talat.  I either got the tone wrong or unconsciously just said what I heard often.  I used a higher tone for Talat rather than a lower tone.  Maybe I said it more like a question rather than a statement, because I didn't know if he wanted to go that way.  The old pedicab driver said I spoke Loei.

My wife and her siblings speak quite quickly when they shift into Isaan.  But they are town folk, not farmers. 

• Like 1

An inflammatory, abusive post has been removed.  

On 3/9/2018 at 11:26 PM, Deserted said:

OP you need to say more about how this is being said and by whom. Some Bangkokians look down on those from Issan, calling them country people and a few other more pejorative expressions. I have friends who have said 'that person sounded like he from issan' as if to say he sounded a bit dim. Did you piss anyone off before they said these things? It's possible they are referring to pronunciation errors as several have posted but you need to say a bit more as they could be suggesting you sound like someone from a lower class of background also. 

I live in Pattaya and I would estimate about 70% of the Thai people here are from Issan. It is usually a person from Isaan saying it, that I sound like one of them. They don't mean it as an insult.

I have had several online tutors say the same and they are mostly from the Bangkok area. I have a new teacher who is from Khon Kaen and he said if he didn't see me he'd think I was a native speaker from Surin. He said my tones are off sometimes, which is why I don't sound like I'm from Bangkok.

Posted (edited)

Ok, so yes there are a lot of people in Pattaya from Issan. So in all probability no harm is meant. Some Bangkokians look down on how the rest of the country speak let alone Issan. They just think they are better than everyone else for whatever reason.

Edited by Deserted
  • Like 1