steveb6

Apply for US social security

I will be 65 in May this year.and I would like to know how to apply.for social security. Should apply when 65 or 66?

If you wait until you are 66 your monthly payment will be higher is the only difference between 65 or 66 years old  You can calculate your payments here online. https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/estimator.html

Contact info for the office in Manila is here. https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen -services/social-security/

Even if you decide to wait to take Social Security payments, you still need to enroll in Medicare when you turn 65; it's not automatic. Part A is free. Part B you pay for and you'll have to decide based on your own situation whether to enroll in Part B, keeping in mind that enrollment later is more expensive and possible only during a limited time-frame each year.

• Thanks 1

I have a thai wife with a new baby on the way.How will this affect my paymemts as well as medicade?

Up to you when you enroll after reaching 62....you can even delay until age 70 to get more money.  In your case 66 is your full retirement age to receive 100% of whatever your pension will be.   When you enroll before your full retirement age there will be a percentage reduction from 100%.  Enroll between 66 to 70 and their will be a percentage increase above 100%.   The Social Security Agency website has lots of info on the subject.  Yeap, up to you when you start drawing social security after you become eligible which is generally the age of 62.

And remember, you become eligible for Medicare at 65 (sixty five)....don't confuse Medicare eligibility age with Social Security Pension eligibility age.

• Like 1

Social Security should pay you an extra amount per child. This amount is for the first two, after that the amount is less per child. The child must be below a certain age.

9 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Social Security should pay you an extra amount per child. This amount is for the first two, after that the amount is less per child. The child must be below a certain age.

Where did you get that from ?

Social Security is based upon you lifetime earnings, nothing to do with your dependents

Maybe you are confused with the requirements for Social Security Disability Benefits 

7 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Social Security is based upon you lifetime earnings, nothing to do with your dependents

Maybe you are confused with the requirements for Social Security Disability Benefits 

"When you qualify for Social Security retirement benefits, your children may also qualify to receive benefits on your record. Your eligible child can be your biological child, adopted child or stepchild. A dependent grandchild may also qualify. To receive benefits, the child must: be unmarried; and; be under age 18; or; be 18-19 ..."

This is from the SSA website.  Confusion is al too often my  state of being.

13 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

He is writing about children's benefits. See: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10085.pdf

But not easy to get for children born and living here.

• Like 1

If you can, wait until your 66 to apply for SS Benefits, you'll get a better return - but you must register for Medicare at 65, or you will be charged for every month you wait till after 65 and your cost per month will go up.  If your in Bangkok, the Consulate used to have a free hotline to the SSA, but that was years ago.   Meantime use SSA.Gov  -  but you will need to use a VPN with a US IP address, I applied for my benefits last year when I turned 66 on line from here, but direct connection would not work, went thru a VPN and the checks started coming in right on time.

Thanks to the posters who brought up Medicare.  I'd forgotten about that.

I first applied for early SSA retirement benefits when I was in Thailand.  I had to wait until I was within three months of my 62nd birthday to apply online.  The ages for early/full/delayed benefits varies with your age.  For me, it was 62/66/70. I'm not in the best of health and changing jobs created a need for income so I took early benefits.

I received a phone call from the Philippines US Embassy Foreign Services Unit in Manila. A delightful and ultra-competent woman (Ivee Gomez) assisted me. I've had responses from the FSU early Saturday morning, which tells me that they are really buried under an impossible work load, and yet Ivee always makes prompt responses, as does her supervisor.  (My caseworker, not so much, but I digress.) I was asked about past employment and retirement benefits, from both the private and public sectors.

I learned that early retirement benefits are not paid if you work over ten hours per week or forty-five hours per month. I withdrew my application from Thailand.  That same day, my work permit for China came through.  I don't have office hours (which would count as scheduled working hours) here so my hours are under 45 per month. I reapplied in China and am receiving benefits.

SSA will want an official letter from the school verifying your hours if you are working  prior to full retirement age.  This could be a problem in Thailand if you don't have a work permit because the school would be effectively putting it in writing that they are using an illegal teacher.

My benefits are deposited into a US bank account and I can withdraw them from China or Thailand. I have also linked the account to PayPal.

My sister lives in the US and she has her benefits deposited into an SSA account.  The account comes with a debit card which she can use at an ATM or supermarket, etc.

The deposit date varies upon your date of birth - sometimes.  I'm overseas so it's the third of the month or the business day before it.  For example, if the third is a holiday and on a Monday, the payment will be on the last day of the preceding month.

I had a hiccup with my benefits once.  I'm registered to vote in the House Majority Leader's district (Trump's win may have helped me), so I wrote my Congressman.   I don't know if the assistant got anywhere, but things are fine at the moment.

One adventure in receiving my benefits in China has been the letter from the school regarding the number of scheduled teaching hours.  The person signing them is in fact the department dean, and the stamps are official.  However, I doubt that anybody in Maryland can read them because they're in Chinese. I began taking screen shots of the school website, including the web address, showing my schedule. 

I think you'll have an easier time than I did.