Jump to content
BANGKOK 18 November 2018 21:16
steveb6

Apply for US social security

Recommended Posts

I don't think you can set up an online account without a "real"  US address

 

I did have a US address and a MagicJack phone number for the required telephone call from my local Social Security Office.  So I had no trouble setting it up online once I realized I had to do it during SS business hours

 

The main purpose of the phone call appears to be to verify exactly which date you want the payments to start.  The  CSR I talked with gave me several dates and the impact each would have on the amount I would receive, minimal difference,  but it must be a rule that they get you to verbally agree to your start date ( which may be different from your monthly  check issuance date)

 

I started mine 4 years ago and don't remember the SSA Identity Services Provider as mentioned by Pib previously but may have occurred in the background since my address was a physical address 

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Rhys said:

 

Every time I try to take a look at the possible payout, it always comes back SS number not accepted.

Where you say "....take a look at possible payout...", do you mean in trying to register/sign-up for an online account?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/20/2018 at 11:26 AM, Pib said:

Where you say "....take a look at possible payout...", do you mean in trying to register/sign-up for an online account?

 

 

It was on the SS site...  It is the benefits calculator....

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/6/2018 at 3:46 PM, ubonjoe said:

He is writing about children's benefits. See: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10085.pdf

But not easy to get for children born and living here.

Hi UbonJoe...as i will shortly be in the position to look at collecting SS children's benefits, i am wondering  why it is not easy to collect here in Thailand...

i hope you are able to give me a "heads up" regarding this...

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, NZAMBOY said:

Hi UbonJoe...as i will shortly be in the position to look at collecting SS children's benefits, i am wondering  why it is not easy to collect here in Thailand...

i hope you are able to give me a "heads up" regarding this...

cheers

If they were born here and have never been to states it will not be possible. If they have been to the states you will need to prove it.

Those are the reasons I wrote it will not be easy.

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Pib said:

Hi Pip...thank you for your help...as i read the residency requirements, since i am a US citizen who has lived in the States for 50 years and am resident of a country(NZ) which does not have an SS agreement with the US, it would seem i do qualify for dependent child SS payments...

what do you think??

cheers, James

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, NZAMBOY said:

Hi Pip...thank you for your help...as i read the residency requirements, since i am a US citizen who has lived in the States for 50 years and am resident of a country(NZ) which does not have an SS agreement with the US, it would seem i do qualify for dependent child SS payments...

what do you think??

cheers, James

I'm not an expert....would be best to ask the Social Security Agency.  Expect a lot will depend on the residency of your dependent child.  You haven't said which country your dependent child is a resident of.   I was under the assumption you were talking at dependent child in Thailand.   Best to contact the SSA---only their answer matters.

Edited by Pib

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Pib said:

I'm not an expert....would be best to ask the Social Security Agency.  Expect a lot will depend on the residency of your dependent child.  You haven't said which country your dependent child is a resident of.   I was under the assumption you were talking at dependent child in Thailand.   Best to contact the SSA---only their answer matters.

my young daughter has US, NZ, and Thai passports...i will ring SSA  now that i have a bit for info...again thanks for you help?

Share this post


Link to post

How about if you have a newborn baby born in thailand. is it possible to get additional benefits for the baby?

 

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, steveb6 said:

How about if you have a newborn baby born in thailand. is it possible to get additional benefits for the baby?

 

newborn is my case as well...and yes, it seems SS child benefits are available if you meet the criteria...the amt is 50% of your monthly SS retirement benefit...good luck!!!

Share this post


Link to post

Glad to know I am not alone making a baby at 65. Do you know what the criteria is? 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, steveb6 said:

Glad to know I am not alone making a baby at 65. Do you know what the criteria is? 

Same here?...a first for me, so more than special!!!...i'll certainly not have any excuse for being one of those bored old guys?

if you take a look at an earlier reply, you will see much of the criteria...the only doubt i might have is for a person living in Thailand with a retirement visa...not sure if that qualifies as an official type residency...in my case i will be applying from New Zealand which i am a citizen as well...

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sponsors
×