connda

Where to have a bicycle cleaned and tuned

I've got a 21 speed mountain bike that has been in storage for a number of year.  I'd like to have someone who knows what they are doing clean, lube, and adjust the bike so it's usable again.  Prefer to use a shop where they speak English.  Suggestions for shops

Was going to ask how one tunes a bicycle, but the expansion in the OP has deleted that.

• Thanks 1

I used LA Bicycle on Mahidol on south side mid-point between the south moat and Airport Plaza. Guy speaks great English, has limited help but he is always fair and will tell you what you need. They are not a high-end bike shop so you have to determine whether they will meet your needs.  Always worth it to inquire and just get a quote. 

Normally it just needs the tires pumped up and the chain oiled.

I just use the 50bht m/c gearbox oil on my chains.

What do you think is wrong with the bike?

Edited by MaeJoMTB

22 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

Check out Mong Cycles on Chiang Moi Rd.  Owner is American

any idea how much it costs for a service and clean?

Not related to cleaning and servicing but I'm thinking of buying a new bike. My current one is around 14 years old.

Do most shops sell the same models at the same price? Any recommendations for price but also service?

My current bike is a thick tyre mountain bike but I rarely go off road. Most of my cycling is on roads or well-worn tracks. I don't want a dedicated top-end racer but will pay for quality.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Loaded said:

Not related to cleaning and servicing but I'm thinking of buying a new bike. My current one is around 14 years old.

Do most shops sell the same models at the same price? Any recommendations for price but also service?

My current bike is a thick tyre mountain bike but I rarely go off road. Most of my cycling is on roads or well-worn tracks. I don't want a dedicated top-end racer but will pay for quality.

You could try going shopping ?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Loaded said:

I would go and have a look at Mong Cycles. They are a big shop and and are in the process closing down/relocating to Phrao. They only sell decent bikes and there is a  sale on with good discounts. Also possibly the most value bike i have ever seen in CM is at Decathlon. 23k reduced to 12k its a Btwin road bike(racing type bike) Shimano Sora components, Carbon forks, Aluminum frame. Frame and forks will accept racks if you ever go touring. Not the best bike in the world but an awesome deal for 12K. 

6 hours ago, WM1 said:

I used LA Bicycle on Mahidol on south side mid-point between the south moat and Airport Plaza. Guy speaks great English, has limited help but he is always fair and will tell you what you need. They are not a high-end bike shop so you have to determine whether they will meet your needs.  Always worth it to inquire and just get a quote. 

L.A. Bicycle is a brand. It's not the name of a shop.

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Normally it just needs the tires pumped up and the chain oiled.

I just use the 50bht m/c gearbox oil on my chains.

What do you think is wrong with the bike?

If its been in storage for a while then the brakes have probably dried out and cracked and the tires may have cracks too. We recently took a bicycle out of storage and all the rubber parts were shot.

3 hours ago, Loaded said:

any idea how much it costs for a service and clean?

I have no idea on price/cost as I usually do my own servicing/cleaning.

5 hours ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

I would go and have a look at Mong Cycles. They are a big shop and and are in the process closing down/relocating to Phrao. They only sell decent bikes and there is a  sale on with good discounts. Also possibly the most value bike i have ever seen in CM is at Decathlon. 23k reduced to 12k its a Btwin road bike(racing type bike) Shimano Sora components, Carbon forks, Aluminum frame. Frame and forks will accept racks if you ever go touring. Not the best bike in the world but an awesome deal for 12K. 

Sounds like you know bicycles, I would appreciate a little advice. My wife has 3 teen nephews who live in a small village. I would like to buy bicycles that are strong and easy to maintain for them. I bought them bicycles about 5 years ago and they're destroyed which is to be expected. I don't want to buy something fancy that they won't be able to have repaired locally. Thanks in advance for any help.

6 hours ago, Loaded said:

14 years old it could possibly sell for more than you paid for it originally.

Google..