BANGKOK 17 November 2018 20:03
FolkGuitar

I'm Impressed - The 'new' Sukantha Buffet!

Thanks for the update, we haven't been there for a few years but we used to go regularly when we lived in the city. My wife will be very interested to hear about the improved seafood selection.

5 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

Thanks for the update, we haven't been there for a few years but we used to go regularly when we lived in the city. My wife will be very interested to hear about the improved seafood selection.

It was impressive! Several different sizes of raw shrimp, lots of fresh squid, mounds of shell fish, grilled fish, boiled fish, raw fish, several different prepared shrimp, prepared squid, and prepared fish...  There was in increase in the 'to-be-cooked' tables too!

I only had my cell phone with me, rather than a good camera, but here are a few shots of the seafood tables  ...

Buffet1.jpg

Buffet3.jpg

Buffet4.jpg

Buffet5.jpg

Buffet7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We used to go regularly but haven't been in perhaps 4 years now.

Thanks for the update.

1 hour ago, sfokevin said:

What is the cost per person?

It's 299 Baht for the 'regular' buffet, and 399 Baht to include the new Seafood section.

They start you off with a big plate of crabs to cook, but we didn't want to bother. We went for the rest of the sea foods and regular Thai dishes instead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elektrified said:

We used to go regularly but haven't been in perhaps 4 years now.

Thanks for the update.

Snap... looks good, but at what price? I hope the Chinese haven't heard about this place yet..:post-4641-1156693976:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, FolkGuitar said:

It's 299 Baht for the 'regular' buffet, and 399 Baht to include the new Seafood section.

They start you off with a big plate of crabs to cook, but we didn't want to bother. We went for the rest of the sea foods and regular Thai dishes instead.

Thanks for posting the prices...

• Like 1

It's almost ludicrous how massive it is.   

A massive fodder factory, a termite mound of people running from table to trough.    

It's worth seeing more than actually eating there. 

• Haha 1

Do they have live music?  Many nights we heard live music wafting in from that direction.  Now that Sutsana is closed (and they had much better music) I'm wondering if it's Sukantha.  Don't really mind, our bedroom is on the other side of the condo, but it is interesting noise if I'm up late doing Thai Visa in the living room.

Like others, I haven't been there in able four years and was pretty well turned off by the "termite mound" (love that term) of people swarming food and the idea of cooking my own dinner over hot charcoal in warm temps, while my dress develops snags on the concrete furniture.  Oh, for a table at Le Meridien in a cool, calm environment where polite, English speaking staff bring your food to your table and offer excellent wine.  More my idea of a night out with friends.

".... Beer Girls are wearing more clothes than Sister Mary Agnes. "

It's the cold season, or what we refer to as the comfortable season.  Thai dress up like they are going skiing whenever the temperature drops below 25C.

The buffet sounds promising.  I'll check it out, maybe after things warm up.  Is it in the lobby of Hillside 4, or that place on one side?

5 minutes ago, heybruce said:

The buffet sounds promising.  I'll check it out, maybe after things warm up.  Is it in the lobby of Hillside 4, or that place on one side?

LOL! It's the size of three football fields! Hardly fit inside of Hillside's lobby.

It's 'behind' Hillside 4 (or beside it, depending on your point of view.) You can enter from the small alley next to the east side of the building, go through and you'll come to the buffet's parking area. Plenty of room to park.

You are better off coming during cooler weather, as there will be two burning hibachis on your table, keeping you more than warm enough. In fact, unless we plan to cook, we often have them remove the hibachis.

Do they have live music?  Many nights we heard live music wafting in from that direction. 

They have live noise. I'd be reluctant to call it music, but there are people up on the stage singing and playing guitar.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

How do they distinguish and police who paid what price? 

There are people watching. There is some sort of code added to the bills at the table when you sit down. They ask if you want the sea food option or not. I suppose it's possible that a few people do cheat, but I doubt if it's very many.