djdubuque

ATM fraud near Holiday Inn

16 hours ago, Rotweiler said:

BTW - how did you manage to get 31,000B out of a machine here?

There are a few banks who allow 30,000. Thai Military bank (TMB) is one of them.

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

There are ways to prevent similar situations by putting daily limits on ATM transactions and providing for SMS and email notifications.  For example, I have a 20,000 baht daily limit on my SCB debit card and I get an SMS and email notifying me of use of the card.  Those notifications occur within a very few seconds of that use (likewise when I either simply access my account online or make any use of purchases or whatever online). 

This is the most valuable method. I do the same with both SMS and email. 

It's free and works like a charm. I set mine to advise for withdrawals in excess of 2000 baht.

7 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

There are a few banks who allow 30,000. Thai Military bank (TMB) is one of them.

This is the most valuable method. I do the same with both SMS and email. 

It's free and works like a charm. I set mine to advise for withdrawals in excess of 2000 baht.

Bangkok bank, my normal Be1st ATM card allows 20,000bht x2 taken out one after the other.

Getting an SMS after the fact ain't much use.

Skimmer Scanner is a useful app if you plan to use ATMs that you do not usually use. It identifies the presence of Bluetooth linked skimmers, so you can check out an ATM before you use it. Download free from Google Play Store.

6 hours ago, Thailand said:

I don't think the  op  had a Chinese debit or cc card?

I'm not sure that the skimming device placed in the ATM discriminates the race of the victim/target. I surmise the 'gang' only new wealthy Chinese would be in Chiang Mai using their cards to spend money.

Pretty sure the gang accepts all valid cards.

4 hours ago, djdubuque said:

There where charges on my account after words from different locations around the world.  Online transactions.  It's as if once my card was used in the ATM everyone and his brother started charging against the card.

It doesn't have to be the ATM at that specific location.

I had a bank card and a credit card in in a safety deposit box...one of them I never even used and they were able to withdraw 200 bucks from my account.

43 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

It doesn't have to be the ATM at that specific location.

I had a bank card and a credit card in in a safety deposit box...one of them I never even used and they were able to withdraw 200 bucks from my account.

Yep. A valid card number is easy to make up. Then find a merchant who accepts and manually runs purchases through a card terminal without requiring the CVV (merchant accepts fraud responsibility) and the charges against the card will add up quickly.

Some merchants are either too busy to care or are greedy for sales and don't even look for the warning flags that accompany these type of purchases. I can only laugh or shake my head when I notice the fake card carrier and shipping info the fraudster provides ,when researched, returns obvious scam setup details.

But having the CVV or PIN to go with the card number... 

Edited by RichCor

9 hours ago, RichCor said:

Some merchants are either too busy to care or are greedy for sales and don't even look for the warning flags that accompany these type of purchases.

Plus, I guess many of those scams don't get spotted by the card holder or by the systems of the CC companies, in those cases both the fraudster and the merchants benefit, at the expense of the card holder.

Edited by XGM