Airbagwill

Rayong source of air pollution as far as BKK

8 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

A relative who's working in Rayong just recently passed way because of cancer. Plenty of people died before and many others will follow The Japanese plastic factories couldn't pass any European tests before they'd be allowed to produce.  

Rayong was before one of the best areas, not it's not even worth to go there anymore ( for me)/. More and more nice places of this country turn into shitHoles. What does the army do? They create a new word which Thai don't even understand. 

It's not just the Japanese who have factories there ..... there are several US and European companies all of whom benefit from or take advantage of the lack of regulation and supervision in the region.

It appears as soon as they are out of their home countries regulations they are happy to drop health and safety to the levels of local regions despite this having been shown to be detrimental back home.

I agree too that the Rayong coastline was quite outstanding and allowing this massive development along the coast has deprived Thailand of a massive natural resource of value to tourism.

It also seems that now this pollution is extending over to Pattaya and Chonburi coast which also reported "unhealthy" pollution levels recently.

Thailand is a rapidly industrialist nation, but it seems in the rush to "modernise" successive governments have been acquiescence in allowing planners, businesses and developers cut corners all over the place.

The result is a general degradation of air, land water and seas in the region, which is reflected in illness rates in the local population and even local agricultures.......

Edited by Airbagwill
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

It's not just the Japanese who have factories there ..... there are several US and European companies all of whom benefit from or take advantage of the lack of regulation and supervision in the region.

It appears as soon as they are out of their home countries regulations they are happy to drop health and safety to the levels of local regions despite this having been shown to be detrimental back home.

I agree too that the Rayong coastline was quite outstanding and allowing this massive development along the coast has deprived Thailand of a massive natural resource of value to tourism.

It also seems that now this pollution is extending over to Pattaya and Chonburi coast which also reported "unhealthy" pollution levels recently.

Thailand is a rapidly industrialist nation, but it seems in the rush to "modernise" successive governments have been acquiescence in allowing planners, businesses and developers cut corners all over the place.

The result is a general degradation of air, land water and seas in the region, which is reflected in illness rates in the local population and even local agricultures.......

A good example is Ko Samet and Baan Phe, where the ferries are. 20 year ago an idyllic island using generators at daytime, you could stay in a luxury bungalow right at the beach for 500 baht a night.

No electricity at night was lovely,, having a candlelight dinner at a non-polluted beach was fantastic.

I couldn't believe my own eyes when I came back to Ko Samed 8 years ago. Polluted, crowded, and Reggae shops everywhere. Had nothing to do with the former island. 

I can only imagine that it's a nationwide problem where the money's creating too many Chinese monkeys. 

Rayong has nice places for tourists, but they're polluted. 

On 2/13/2018 at 9:53 AM, jenny2017 said:

A good example is Ko Samet and Baan Phe, where the ferries are. 20 year ago an idyllic island using generators at daytime, you could stay in a luxury bungalow right at the beach for 500 baht a night.

No electricity at night was lovely,, having a candlelight dinner at a non-polluted beach was fantastic.

I couldn't believe my own eyes when I came back to Ko Samed 8 years ago. Polluted, crowded, and Reggae shops everywhere. Had nothing to do with the former island. 

I can only imagine that it's a nationwide problem where the money's creating too many Chinese monkeys. 

Rayong has nice places for tourists, but they're polluted. 

It is a national problem, policy-wise but Rayong is the home of massive industrial development including petrochemicals.

Without proper supervision and regulation this has resulted in air, land, rivers, watertables and the sea being polluted. (Remember the oil spill at Koh Samet a couple of years ago?).

The thing is...even if the source of a pollution is stemmed the after effects remain and linger on.

Fish stocks are depleted. Soil is damaged, water is tainted.

It is said that up to 50% of industrial waste in the region is disposed of illegally. This then seeps into water supplies and contaminates both crops and soils.

I see now that the proposed route for the hi-speed train has been changed to miss out Rayong due to "safety concerns". This looks like a bit of a strange decision....I'm sure any investigation into this would open a Pandora's box .

PS the first time I visited Koh Samet was 1994.

Edited by Airbagwill

On 2/9/2018 at 12:30 PM, Eff1n2ret said:

Perhaps wilai is wondering, as I do, what difference you think you are making by constantly harping on about this subject. 

It's called dissemination of information.

Why are you so concerned about what I post?

If you think it is factually incorrect or you disagree with a point I've made, please feel free to comment on any particular item.

On 2/13/2018 at 4:05 AM, Airbagwill said:

Can you give me a link to where I can find a qualitative and current assessment of the local air pollution levels?

According to up to date news it is vehicles in Bangkok that are to blame for the pollution there.

3 hours ago, LennyW said:

According to up to date news it is vehicles in Bangkok that are to blame for the pollution there.

You should realise that the sources of pollution, in particular air pollution can change on a daily basis.

You can see by the AQI map that particulate are a major problem and 2 sizes are monitored, there is a lot of other stuff too that does appear on the AQIs.....but by looking at the particulate one may be able to get an idea of source.

Of course, there is no doubt that is cities, slow-moving and stationary traffic cause a big drop in AQ........... this together with little wind and cloud cover can mean that large volumes of air can drift over the country and get locked in place especially in low-lying areas like BKK. This will only compound the situation.

Edited by Airbagwill

3 hours ago, LennyW said:

You should realise that the sources of pollution, in particular air pollution can change on a daily basis.

You can see by the AQI map that particulate are a major problem and 2 sizes are monitored, there is a lot of other stuff too that does appear on the AQIs.....but by looking at the particulate one may be able to get an idea of source.

today Rayong is 2 - moderate but only a few kilometres away Map Ta Phut is at 156 UNHEALTHY........ it remains to be seen in which direction that will dissipate; the wind is Southerly to South-Easterly at present

This thread applies to Rayong as well....in particular the VOLUNTARY scheme for companies to report their discharges. 

This morning in Ban Chang they had a pick up going around with loud speakers telling the people to go to local hospitals for a check up as large amounts of chemical pollution has been discharged from Mattaput in recent weeks.

Also on the corner of Namrim Rd and the by pass rd there is a large sign telling the people they are releasing excess amounts of pollution from Mattaput

from 1st March until 10 April. It looks as if DOW chemical company have put the sign up.

Thanks to the op for starting this thread.

Someone of this site tried to venture the point that there was no industry in Ban Chang - they obviously are unaware of the Dow Chemical plant and their neighbours.