outofafrica

How much money to retire in Thailand.

I suppose this question has been ask over and over but i don't seem to find any thing about it.. I'm Australian and 58 years . I have $400 000 in super and my house is payed and  will give me a income of $1600 a month. My Thai Girlfriend is a Government Official so i can go onto her medical if need be. Will this money be enough to retire in Thailand. I'm not a big spender and the Girlfriend has a good job , own house and Car.

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't like to try to live in that monthly.  Twice that, maybe.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

if its enough to live on in australia, then it most certainly is also enough to live on in thailand,
so ask yourself: did you survive in australia all these years ?

• Like 2

Cost of living in Australia has skyrocketed in recent years.Rental for an average home/apartment is around $1600  a month which would eat up any future aged pension.Obviously different scenario if you own a house but utility bills, especially power, have increased dramatically .My daughter and her partner live in a small cottage ($1600 a month rent paid by their employer) working in a Blue Mountains GH .

Their electricity bill for 3 months was $900 (22,000 b approx) and that's without any air con and no electricity for heating.

Friends recently returned to Australia after 3 mths away to find a 5,000 b bill for water even none had been used .On enquring why the reason given was that was for providing the service not usage.

That's Australia today, once one of the cheapest countries in the world .Sydney now rates in the top 5 of most expensive cities in the world to live.

40,000 baht month providing you own a home /apartment is quite doable  in Thailand.

Health Insurance for retirees is the elephant in the room once you reach 70 years of age

• Like 2

35K baht is plenty for a normal, easy going life, as opposed to an ex-pat tourist lifestyle that some prefer to live.

Your only concern would be losing income from tenant problems, which will surely increase in risk if the economy in Oz keeps on the same track, also effecting the exchange rate.

1000 euro  a month is what I do, and is very doable. That is about 36000 baht...About 10k for house rent (+electric+water) leaves me about 1000 baht (little less) a day...easy....

• Like 1