Thaivisa Web Content Team

Drug addicts could be given heroin to stop them stealing

Drug addicts in the West Midlands could be prescribed heroin in an attempt to reduce drug-related crime in the region.

The scheme could see addicts who have failed to get clean through other means being given the drug in a controlled medicinal setting in an attempt to stop money going into the black market.

According to police, half of all burglary, theft, shopping and robbery in the West Midlands is committed by people suffering from drug addiction, and costs the economy an estimated £1.4 billion per year.

In addition, every three days a person dies from drug poisoning. West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner David Jamieson, says that the proposals are ‘bold and practical’ and to cut crime ‘fresh ideas’ are needed.

He added that he hopes this policy will make a difference on the streets of the West Midlands by the time he leaves office in 2020. The Royal Society for Public Health have supported the idea, and say that this is a ‘welcome contribution to the growing momentum behind common sense drug policy reform in the UK.’

Full article

• Like 2

Absolutely.....Government controlled distibution of methadone (heroin substitute) has yielded miracles in many European countries.

Drastic drop in crime and aids, rates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I think you need to see the bigger picture. Some addicts can't be cured, whatever the reason my be. So you think you can educate them? No way. The addiction is stronger. You can't shoot them so are you gonna threaten them with prison? You think they care? You know how much a day in prison costs? Better to just give them the stuff. Not that expensive as it's just processed poppy seeds (or diamorphine as they call it in medical terms).

• Like 2

It's a great idea as the government could produce Heroin for satangs.

The addicts could then be looked after in basic accommodations with free heroin in exchange for travelling around Thailand as part of clean up crew to tackle the dirty beaches and general litter in the country.

• Like 1

Good idea, these programs have worked miracles in Amsterdam, with methadon and later also with controlled heroin supplying / using. Less (heroin related) crime on the streets now than in tbe eighties. 

3 hours ago, Air Smiles said:

It's a great idea as the government could produce Heroin for satangs.

The addicts could then be looked after in basic accommodations with free heroin in exchange for travelling around Thailand as part of clean up crew to tackle the dirty beaches and general litter in the country.

This is in England, though. Doubt they'll hand them free heroin, then send them on a plane to Thailand with their dosage only to be caught at the airport and handed a life sentence. Though I would have to admit that would be a great way to lighten the welfare payments budget.

If every country does that, Bangkok Hilton would look like Pattaya in no time – foreigners everywhere.

Edited by Sirbergan
Added sentence

1 minute ago, faraday said:

Yes, you probably are 'the only one'.

The only difference between alcohol addiction treatment & Opiate treatment, is how it is viewed by society, including you.

Comparing a complex problem such as this, to children crying.....

I give up....can't be bothered to carry on.

You could say the same for gambling addiction, which people tend to understand even less. Having struggled with that since the age of 13, I can not count the amount of times I've been asked "Why don't you just stop"?

Brilliant, why didn't I think of that? Clearly, I never knew it was an option :smile: