MRToMRT

What best car GPS Feb 2018

Hi

I need to replace my old Garmin car GPS - I have tried using the apps on my phone but its just not the same simple experience for me - what the best Garmin vehicle mount GPS for Thailand at the moment please? Any advice where to buy it in central Bangkok?

Cheers!

Whenever I get out of the car I need to uncouple the phone and put it in my pocket - its a pain for me, I drive a lot.

• Like 1

google maps on the smart phone is arguably the most up to date GPS + maps and real time updates

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BlackJack said:

google maps on the smart phone is arguably the most up to date GPS + maps and real time updates

Agreed. However recently after leaving the expressway at Sukhumvit and only having 500 metres to go, I discovered that Google maps doesn't work underneath the concrete BTS structures. Luckily I had got Sygic loaded at the toll booth and that was what finally guided me to my destination.

It's always the last few minutes that you tend to get lost.

Removed a troll post.

The OP made it clear that he wants a dedicated GPS navigation device, so let us please respect that and post advice accordingly.

On 2/25/2018 at 7:40 PM, MRToMRT said:

Any advice where to buy it in central Bangkok?

I have received some good help from some of the customer support staff here https://www.garminbygis.com/product-category/on-the-road/ when I had a Nuvi 2465 and with this purchase, especially a lady called Jane, so purchased online from them as I am in Pattaya.

I believe you can go to their office as well where they will help if needed. They used to be the ESRI people.

Otherwise I would have bought from an S-ED bookshop who sell them.

Ordered Monday pm and delivered Thursday by EMS.

• Like 2

On 06/04/2018 at 4:24 PM, topt said:

I have received some good help from some of the customer support staff here https://www.garminbygis.com/product-category/on-the-road/ when I had a Nuvi 2465 and with this purchase, especially a lady called Jane, so purchased online from them as I am in Pattaya.

I believe you can go to their office as well where they will help if needed. They used to be the ESRI people.

Otherwise I would have bought from an S-ED bookshop who sell them.

Ordered Monday pm and delivered Thursday by EMS.

Good for you. Please give us a report after a week or two. Personally I prefer Google maps as I wrote before but I can be convinced.

3 hours ago, cooked said:

Good for you. Please give us a report after a week or two. Personally I prefer Google maps as I wrote before but I can be convinced.

As mentioned I had a Garmin Nuvi 2465 which was invaluable to me when I had to travel up to and into Bangkok some years ago. Without it I would have been going round in circles. Unfortunately someone "borrowed" it and as I will be travelling in unfamiliar territory soon needed a replacement. I considered whether I could get away with some offline maps but like the OP I decided I preferred the dedicated gps option.  

I don't however use mobile data on my phone so cannot give you a comparison with Google maps on the go as it were.

Thanks to all - looks as though the "Garmin 51" does everything I need