nb1984

Bangkok - Hua Hin by scooter

Hi all,

I have a motorbike/scooter and live in Bangkok and I'm familiar with riding in the city. I'm thinking of riding down to Hua Hin as it's not that far and I'll take it slow. Has anyone done it? I know some of the roads/motorways have crazy drivers speeding around and riding a scooter is dangerous anyway but is making the journey any more dangerous than driving around Bangkok? I'd probably go early morning to avoid the weekend evening drink drivers. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

As you seem to have some experience of riding on Bangkok roads, it should be easier than that. Just keep to the extreme left and go slow, should be ok. 

• Sad 1

I like moose idea of hugging the coast, it will be more interesting and fun on a scooter.
Personally I prefer to go fast on a scooter, instead of going slow and been forced to drive on the road shoulder.
But each to their own and what makes them feel comfortable.

Sent from my Le X820 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Of course it's way more dangerous than Bangkok. Most accidents in Bangkok are at slow speed, if you drive 30km/h and have an accident you will most likely get away with scratches and maybe broken bones, but you have a good chance to survive it. If you have an accident at 100km/h on the highway it's over.

I did drive there several times, wouldn't consider it more dangerous than any other highway in Thailand. Yes, many stupid people, you have to pay 100% attention to the road and everything around you.

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Yes, many stupid people, you have to pay 100% attention to the road and everything around you.

I'd go with 115% attention and even then something is always ready to catch you out :)

It's Thailand, the country with the worlds highest road death toll. I wouldn't ride a motor bike to my local 7/11 and that's 350mts away. Maybe wear a lucky Thai amulet?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Lakegeneve said:

It's basically a death wish waiting riding a bike along Phetkasem rd down south. The number of very fast vehicles, large trucks and poorly designed sections of road ensure that the are numerous accidents daily. I've driven this a bunch of times over the years (in fact doing it on Monday morn), always driving very defensively and expecting the worst. I always come across accidents each and every time, and see many near misses.

One positive is that the 2 new U-turns that have been built on Rama 2 past Samut Songkhram are much, much safer. Numerous other U-turns along this stretch still make that section very hazardous. 

Suggest that you avoid Rama 2 and cut through from west Bangkok and then either take back roads on the west side of Phetkasem rd and meander slowly down south OR put your scooter on the train if you want it down there. 

I also strongly advise you not to ride in the dark, the reasons are very obvious.:post-4641-1156693976:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

Of course it's way more dangerous than Bangkok. Most accidents in Bangkok are at slow speed, if you drive 30km/h and have an accident you will most likely get away with scratches and maybe broken bones, but you have a good chance to survive it. If you have an accident at 100km/h on the highway it's over.

I did drive there several times, wouldn't consider it more dangerous than any other highway in Thailand. Yes, many stupid people, you have to pay 100% attention to the road and everything around you.

Sounds like a really enjoyable experience , not !  

19 hours ago, saakura said:

As you seem to have some experience of riding on Bangkok roads, it should be easier than that. Just keep to the extreme left and go slow, should be ok. 

Left as in footpath.

Deathwish. A fool and his life are often soon departed. Good luck, see you at your funeral.