Jump to content
nb1984

Bangkok - Hua Hin by scooter

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

I have a motorbike/scooter and live in Bangkok and I'm familiar with riding in the city. I'm thinking of riding down to Hua Hin as it's not that far and I'll take it slow. Has anyone done it? I know some of the roads/motorways have crazy drivers speeding around and riding a scooter is dangerous anyway but is making the journey any more dangerous than driving around Bangkok? I'd probably go early morning to avoid the weekend evening drink drivers. Any advice appreciated.

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As you seem to have some experience of riding on Bangkok roads, it should be easier than that. Just keep to the extreme left and go slow, should be ok. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like moose idea of hugging the coast, it will be more interesting and fun on a scooter.
Personally I prefer to go fast on a scooter, instead of going slow and been forced to drive on the road shoulder.
But each to their own and what makes them feel comfortable.

Sent from my Le X820 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course it's way more dangerous than Bangkok. Most accidents in Bangkok are at slow speed, if you drive 30km/h and have an accident you will most likely get away with scratches and maybe broken bones, but you have a good chance to survive it. If you have an accident at 100km/h on the highway it's over.

 

I did drive there several times, wouldn't consider it more dangerous than any other highway in Thailand. Yes, many stupid people, you have to pay 100% attention to the road and everything around you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Yes, many stupid people, you have to pay 100% attention to the road and everything around you.

 

I'd go with 115% attention and even then something is always ready to catch you out :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's Thailand, the country with the worlds highest road death toll. I wouldn't ride a motor bike to my local 7/11 and that's 350mts away. Maybe wear a lucky Thai amulet?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Lakegeneve said:

It's basically a death wish waiting riding a bike along Phetkasem rd down south. The number of very fast vehicles, large trucks and poorly designed sections of road ensure that the are numerous accidents daily. I've driven this a bunch of times over the years (in fact doing it on Monday morn), always driving very defensively and expecting the worst. I always come across accidents each and every time, and see many near misses.

 

One positive is that the 2 new U-turns that have been built on Rama 2 past Samut Songkhram are much, much safer. Numerous other U-turns along this stretch still make that section very hazardous. 

 

Suggest that you avoid Rama 2 and cut through from west Bangkok and then either take back roads on the west side of Phetkasem rd and meander slowly down south OR put your scooter on the train if you want it down there. 

I also strongly advise you not to ride in the dark, the reasons are very obvious.:post-4641-1156693976:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jackdd said:

Of course it's way more dangerous than Bangkok. Most accidents in Bangkok are at slow speed, if you drive 30km/h and have an accident you will most likely get away with scratches and maybe broken bones, but you have a good chance to survive it. If you have an accident at 100km/h on the highway it's over.

 

I did drive there several times, wouldn't consider it more dangerous than any other highway in Thailand. Yes, many stupid people, you have to pay 100% attention to the road and everything around you.

Sounds like a really enjoyable experience , not !  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, saakura said:

As you seem to have some experience of riding on Bangkok roads, it should be easier than that. Just keep to the extreme left and go slow, should be ok. 

Left as in footpath.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deathwish. A fool and his life are often soon departed. Good luck, see you at your funeral.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 24 June 2018 19:49
Sponsors
×