nb1984

Bangkok - Hua Hin by scooter

Meh, just use Google maps and a motorcycle phone holder and go for it.

Enjoy your journey OP!

Provided you remain aware, you shouldn't have a problem. However, I would suggest:

- between BKK and Samut Sakhon keep to the Frontage Road to avoid traffic filtering in from the left.

- after Samut Songkhram take the coast road (marked 'Scenic Route') as previously suggested, for both safety and aesthetic reasons.

- be extra careful when riding through Ban Laem, as I have found bike riders in the town to be somewhat unpredictable in their movements.

Enjoy your trip!

1 hour ago, manchega said:

obviously not that experienced.  for that you need to experience the oh where did that come from experience as you get taken out at the red light by a fellow biker that don't want to stop.

it is the voice of experience after all that I am providing.

yes you can deal with what you can see in front of you, and obeying common sense.

but what about the other driver? the one you expect to use the breaks if you are stopped and waiting to make your turn? or the one you expect to use the breaks at the red light ? or the one that you expect to not make the turn when they see you coming on the dominant road ( the one that by thai law would see you win the civil or criminal case in court)?

when you have experienced these things, then you can be the voice of experience talking about stupid comments 

Are you saying these things happened to you?

It can of course be dangerous, but so can riding in a minibus and in fact most if not all forms of transport in this country.

For me the possibility of these things happening won't take away the fun i have traveling by motorbike. I have a fair amount of experience riding here.

3 hours ago, manchega said:

obviously not that experienced.  for that you need to experience the oh where did that come from experience as you get taken out at the red light by a fellow biker that don't want to stop.

yes you can deal with what you can see in front of you, and obeying common sense.

but what about the other driver? the one you expect to use the breaks if you are stopped and waiting to make your turn? or the one you expect to use the breaks at the red light ? or the one that you expect to not make the turn when they see you coming on the dominant road ( the one that by thai law would see you win the civil or criminal case in court)?

when you have experienced these things, then you can be the voice of experience talking about stupid comments 

In the end you are talking about stuff that happens every where and it doesn't matter how much experience you have every thing you mentioned can happen to the most experienced driver or rider. Just stay at home do not go out, just incase you may have a wreck or the neighbor will hit you sitting on your bike in the drive way

16 hours ago, manchega said:

This says a lot about your skills in driving. If you are experiencing "oh, where did that come from", well, than you better stay of the road. 

Thai drivers are pretty predictable if you pay attention to what is happening in the surroundings. You always have to predict what is going to happen next.

Just like a good football player, that can see the game in front so he can be at the right place in the right time to score. 

The same applies when reading the traffic. 

And to to all of yours expectations, I do not expect that. I expect the unexpectedly. 

Cheers 

On 3/3/2018 at 5:59 PM, jerojero said:

Deathwish. A fool and his life are often soon departed. Good luck, see you at your funeral.

<deleted>?   W*****

Drove to Hua Hin and back last week. Absolute nightmare. The worst section is from Bangkok to Phetburi. Rama 2 around Samut Sankram is bumper to bumper trucks and lunatics in pick-up trucks. I saw a couple of accidents but saw a crazy number of near-misses. These were, as they almost always are, because of tail-gating. Most Thais have almost zero understanding of braking distances. If I were on a scooter (and I never would be), I'd be kitted out in all leather and a full face helmet. Visited a friend last week at Bumrungrad after he'd been cleaned up by a pickup truck  on a nice, long, clear stretch of road to Chantaburi. He's been riding here for twenty years and done well over 150K on a bike. He's still doing physio to gain his walking ability three weeks later. He's also in the process of selling ALL of his bikes. Go figure. Oh, and I forgot to mention, good all-purpose health/accident insurance and a go-pro on your helmet.

On 3/4/2018 at 4:21 PM, chrissables said:

Are you saying these things happened to you?

It can of course be dangerous, but so can riding in a minibus and in fact most if not all forms of transport in this country.

For me the possibility of these things happening won't take away the fun i have traveling by motorbike. I have a fair amount of experience riding here.

Indeed they can be happening anywhere.  When you experience someone driving into you out of frustration, or because they feel the vehicle they drive has higher status than yours then you will understand.

I will always want that protection of the collapsible chassie with crumple zones designed to give me protection at the 0 - 30 kph zone. and above that, well nothing fun about ditching a bike to avoid collision when someone pulls an illegal u turn on you.

You will find those are some of the most painful ones.  But at least in a car you can brace against the steering wheel

you would not catch me in a van, or bus in this country.  unless I am driving it of course.

On 3/5/2018 at 7:26 AM, Hupaponics said:

This says a lot about your skills in driving. If you are experiencing "oh, where did that come from", well, than you better stay of the road. 

Thai drivers are pretty predictable if you pay attention to what is happening in the surroundings. You always have to predict what is going to happen next.

Just like a good football player, that can see the game in front so he can be at the right place in the right time to score. 

The same applies when reading the traffic. 

And to to all of yours expectations, I do not expect that. I expect the unexpectedly. 

Cheers 

oh touche, what wit, you speculate over my driving skills.

Thailand is not number 1 for driving fatalities per capita globally for no reason.

while understanding the probabilites is one thing, minimising is another.

thus when one powers away from trouble on a big bike, putting it down to ones skills of driving ( chuckle chuckle) one beleives one can see every iteration that happens on the road, because one can sense things.

of course when you survive one or two events like this you gain confidence in your abilities to drive, instead of understanding that near misses are still near misses and you have no control over how other drivers behave.

So when the car in front is cut up by win, then the car swerves into you you were able to know this would happen because you knew win would cut the car and the car would swerve, and the other vehicles around you all also understood the dance of how that particular situation would play out......

the same reason you give is the one which makes gamblers believe in patterns.  But it is all maths after all

this thread was about a guy asking about travelling from BKK to Hua Hin.

not a pointless argument about driving in Thailand.

so too original poster, try it, take care, take your time and enjoy the ride.

When you get to HH , we can catch up for a beer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, manchega said:

Indeed they can be happening anywhere.  When you experience someone driving into you out of frustration, or because they feel the vehicle they drive has higher status than yours then you will understand.

I will always want that protection of the collapsible chassie with crumple zones designed to give me protection at the 0 - 30 kph zone. and above that, well nothing fun about ditching a bike to avoid collision when someone pulls an illegal u turn on you.

You will find those are some of the most painful ones.  But at least in a car you can brace against the steering wheel

you would not catch me in a van, or bus in this country.  unless I am driving it of course.

Have been riding here for nearly 14 years i have experienced many crazy things. You are right cars and larger vehicles than motorbikes think they have rights over smaller vehicles.

Of course there is no fun in an accident. But at 100,000 + km, i can say there is a lot of fun riding. 

I did chumpon to Phuket on 110cc Honda wave in 2005, 18 years old, so much fun

Chumpon to  ranong

ranong to takua pa

takua pa to Kao lak 

khao lak to Phuket 

after 15 days of whatever Phuket had to offer then I returned the bike in on day haha

18 hours ago, manchega said:

oh touche, what wit, you speculate over my driving skills.

Thailand is not number 1 for driving fatalities per capita globally for no reason.

while understanding the probabilites is one thing, minimising is another.

thus when one powers away from trouble on a big bike, putting it down to ones skills of driving ( chuckle chuckle) one beleives one can see every iteration that happens on the road, because one can sense things.

of course when you survive one or two events like this you gain confidence in your abilities to drive, instead of understanding that near misses are still near misses and you have no control over how other drivers behave.

So when the car in front is cut up by win, then the car swerves into you you were able to know this would happen because you knew win would cut the car and the car would swerve, and the other vehicles around you all also understood the dance of how that particular situation would play out......

the same reason you give is the one which makes gamblers believe in patterns.  But it is all maths after all

Iran is number one

15 hours ago, moose7117 said:

this thread was about a guy asking about travelling from BKK to Hua Hin.

not a pointless argument about driving in Thailand.

so too original poster, try it, take care, take your time and enjoy the ride.

When you get to HH , we can catch up for a beer.

Has the OP even been back with all the nannies giving advice. How many with so much advice even drive a car here