Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Most people I know have hit the 6 year visa waiver and now teach online only. 

 

They appear to make substantially more money too.

 

Is this the way to go?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uh! So not in Thailand ? Online teaching is for anyone with an internet anywhere!


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most online teaching in Thailand is illegal.

 

The teacher works in Thailand without the required non-immigrant visa and work permit. The teacher doesn't declare their income to the Thai tax authorities.

 

The Chinese company earns income from their overseas operations in Thailand. They fail to provide the required visas and work permit for their staff. They avoid Thai tax on their revenues. They don't have a Thai school license. I could go on.

 

It won't continue for much longer once the Thai government realizes what's happening under their noses.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's irrelevant whether the money is paid outside of Thailand or not, you need a work permit. Volunteers aren't paid anything but if they are caught without the appropriate visa/wp, they may be chucked out the country via Immigration prison.

 

I guess it's also breaking the Thai Computer Act as well. IE breaking the law by using the Internet.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Loaded said:

It's irrelevant whether the money is paid outside of Thailand or not, you need a work permit. Volunteers aren't paid anything but if they are caught without the appropriate visa/wp, they may be chucked out the country via Immigration prison.

 

I guess it's also breaking the Thai Computer Act as well. IE breaking the law by using the Internet.

 

 

Even when Loaded is usually always loaded, he's damn right about it. 

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Even when Loaded is usually always loaded, he's damn right about it. 

 

If you say so.  Maybe theoretically- if someone really wanted to push the issue.  After all, they managed to stick tax evasion on someone vaping, so anything is possible in Gagaland.

 

I can't see Interpol providing much help.......:sleepy:

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometime ago, I asked an immigration officer about computer work and whether it was a violation of the law.   Keep in mind this was several years ago, and online teaching was really not on the radar at the time.

 

What he told me is that immigration was not going to go after people for internet based work, UNLESS  they were working in a central location, such as an office where a number of people are employed.  

 

He also said that it was probably illegal, but it would be hard to prove they were working and that unless they had some very good reason to go after someone, it wasn't the type of thing they went looking for.  

 

So, is it illegal if you don't have a work permit?   Yes.  

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Interesting comments. 

 

I would be interested if there is a knock-on effect to the number of foreign teachers in Thai schools. Extra duties and difficult working conditions may see some folks adopting this line of work. I have noticed many non native English speaking Western teachers hold many teaching positions where I reside. This was not always the case.

Edited by Jimjim1968
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Scott said:

Sometime ago, I asked an immigration officer about computer work and whether it was a violation of the law.   Keep in mind this was several years ago, and online teaching was really not on the radar at the time.

 

What he told me is that immigration was not going to go after people for internet based work, UNLESS  they were working in a central location, such as an office where a number of people are employed.  

 

He also said that it was probably illegal, but it would be hard to prove they were working and that unless they had some very good reason to go after someone, it wasn't the type of thing they went looking for.  

 

So, is it illegal if you don't have a work permit?   Yes.  

This probably states it the way it is and I can give another example where a friend disclosed that he was making money online to a police officer.  Initially, the officer thought it an offence, but after discovering it was offshore trade he changed his mind.

 

I think we need to distinguish between theory and reality here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, attrayant said:

Immigration authorities have issued public statements again and again saying they're not interested in what they referred to as "digital nomads". These are people who make money from their blogs, monetized youtube channels, come here for vacation but still need to manage their business back home, and so on.  Neither their customers nor their employer is Thai, so it would be impossible to get a work permit for it anyway.  The authorities understand that there is no realistic way for these people to become "legal".

 

If anything the authorities should encourage this, since it's a revenue stream coming into the country.  Until the antiquated labor laws catch up to the technology, thousands of online businesses will continue to be managed/run by foreigners in Thailand.

 

Previous discussions: If you are a 'digital nomad' running your own business on the internet, the immigration office says you can do this on a tourist visa.

 

 

Immigration clarifies new regulations for foreigners in Chiang Mai:

 

 

The two threads your cite are from 2014 when internet teaching didn't exist.

 

Digital Nomads were/are usually foreigners using a blog to make a little extra cash from clicks from Google Adwords linked to their websites.

 

Teaching is a profession and is controlled by a whole swathe of rules and regulations.

 

There's a difference.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 19 September 2018 06:56
Sponsors
×