Posted (edited)

A friend has been doing it for 2 years now. His earnings have doubled. He used to make 40,000 Baht with 2 kids at a local Thai school and coudln't make ends meet. He told me: "I don't worry, no one knows even the neighbor's dog doesn't lol". He's on a marriage visa. Only his wife knows. And he intends to keep it that way. 

It's a gray area. No one knows whether it's really legal or not.

But I personally wouldn't recommend it to anyone to do this type of work out of an office without a work permit because then yes you're in deep deeeeeeeeeep trouble if caught.

My two cents.

Edited by Flow
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flow said:

He told me: "I don't worry, no one knows even the neighbor's dog doesn't lol"

So the secret is out!  Bragging will surely lead to a downfall!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Loaded said:

Strange that because the Thai Embassy London's website specifically excludes it.

:huh:

It excludes employment.

Working remotely while here isn't legally classed as employment. Ask immigration and the MoL.

:smile:

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Flow said:

A friend has been doing it for 2 years now. His earnings have doubled. He used to make 40,000 Baht with 2 kids at a local Thai school and coudln't make ends meet. He told me: "I don't worry, no one knows even the neighbor's dog doesn't lol". He's on a marriage visa. Only his wife knows. And he intends to keep it that way. 

It's a gray area. No one knows whether it's really legal or not.

But I personally wouldn't recommend it to anyone to do this type of work out of an office without a work permit because then yes you're in deep deeeeeeeeeep trouble if caught.

My two cents.

And it's about the top and tail of it!  Scale, environment, and enforcability.

If he channels the money through his Mrs (let's face it- it all ends up with her), then likely just participating in the family business covers his back anyway.

6 hours ago, Loaded said:

Is it now possible to interact with your students without microphones and headphones in a noisy social area?

Yes, when correcting writing. 

6 hours ago, Loaded said:

Who is teaching via the internet in those photos?

Digital nomad doesn't mean teacher.

Is it now possible to interact with your students without microphones and headphones in a noisy social area?

There is no visa or work permit that covers internet teaching to foreign students. This doesn't mean you don't need one, you do under current foreign labor laws. However, there is currently tolerance from the authorities for working this way until Thai laws catch up with modern working ways. Keep a low profile and lie to immigration and labor and you will get away with it.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Ah, this is the hub of the matter, isn't it?  At root you simply despise TEFL teachers don't you?  You know those imposters who only have a TEFL certificate/Degree!  

And this is what its come too!  This cohort gets treated so shoddily that almost anything they do is regarded as transgression.  Hence, it's ok for other digital nomads to go about their business, but not an online teacher.

But, at least you have now conceded the main point about it not currently being illegal to work as a digital nomad.

5 hours ago, pearciderman said:

This guy was not working for a Thai company - so how was he fined ?

"A recent case I heard about was a guy who worked in the Night Bazaar here in Chiang Mai. He and his wife own a store that sells amulets and small buddhas, well the police came around one day and told him he had to pay a fine because he was working. He was only just sitting there and not doing anything at all. But see how he got done was through his own admission, when asked if he did anything here he said "No i don't work, but if someone asks me a question I'll answer them with the required information" That's it your working and a 20,000 baht fine ensued."

http://www.livingthai.org/working-in-thailand-without-a-work-visa.html

And this page, (written by one of the very same bloggers being defended on this thread), seems to put it very clearly.

https://www.thethailandlife.com/working-online-thailand

It's a third hand story but I know what you mean, and I guess it happened.

I don't think it is illegal (or regarded as illegal) provided he is legally married, and it is clearly the family business.  It was a shake-down, but paying up is probably best, because if they have a mind to they can make your life very difficult.

7 hours ago, pearciderman said:

This guy was not working for a Thai company - so how was he fined ?

"A recent case I heard about was a guy who worked in the Night Bazaar here in Chiang Mai. He and his wife own a store that sells

Woah woah woah.

He part owns a store/business/company here?

Cheers.

11 hours ago, Loaded said:

Digital nomad doesn't mean teacher.

Being a remote online teacher/tutor certainly comes under the term Digital Nomad.

It is done remotely, from anywhere in the World, online using the internet.

Cheers.

• Like 1

This thread should be moved to a legal discussion thread.It provides no information about on line teaching. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Recently I've noticed an increase in the number of Chinese companies who are seeking teachers for weekday daytime hours work.  That is, teaching online a class of young Chinese students in a rural school in Outer Mongolia or similar.

A few years ago, most online teaching with Chinese students seemed to be a few hours on weekday evenings (one-to-one teaching), and daytime at weekends.

I've had recent offers to teach daytime weekdays, giving some serious though to this as an alternative to living in 'sterile' Nayppyitaw ?

• Like 2