Jump to content

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, kylep said:

 

Arrived in Cambodia. No problem with Phnom Penh airport immigration. Silently stamped me in.

 

Not black. White from Turks & Caicos Islands but with US passport as I was born on US soil (Miami).

 

And no, before anyone assumes anything, I don't have the hippie or disheveled look. Didn't arrive barefoot if that's what you're thinking too. 

 

 

 

 

Cambodia is a lot more welcoming that Thailand.

 

Good, so what is your next plan?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, jspill said:

IMO there's 0% risk if you're only in Thailand 180 days a year, so if you do 3 extended visa exemptions per year, 2 extended single entry tourist visas, or 6 unextended visa exemptions. There's no set limit in law but based on anecdotal reports. Preferrably one of the first two to reduce the number of entries you do.

 

No set limits on what happens if you push it over 180 days, I'd estimate something like this though:

 

If it's the first year you've ever been in Thailand, add 10% risk of being pulled aside for questioning for every extra month you're in Thailand on top of 180 days, so about 30% risk if you push it to 9 months, 60% if you're trying to stay close to 365 days, etc. So you stand a good chance of being fine in your first year.

 

Then for following years, 15% risk per month. So now 60% risk if you push it to 9 months a year in Thailand, 90% if you're trying to stay close to 365 days. So you're starting to get quite a high chance of being questioned from year 2 onwards. 

 

Now, some of the time you're pulled aside for questioning, you do still get let in. Helps if you can show 20k baht, onward ticket out of Thailand, etc., and say you have a Thai girlfriend, that's a good response. Then they say ok well stop doing these visa runs and marry her to stay permanently, you say ok cool and get let in.

 

Then you apply for a fresh passport and keep doing what you were doing, or go back to making it 180 days per year for a while, to be on the safe side.

 

The above estimation is if you're white, if you're black / indian I'd double everything and start from 120 days. So OP had about 20% chance of being pulled aside, he'd been in Thailand 120 days in the last 365 (4 previous visa exempts). Quite unlucky to be pulled aside AND denied. Good to hear he was able to get in the next time short after.

I owe you at least 3 beers jspill...this is EXACTLY the sort of intel I was hoping for. Muchly appreciative. Also, I can show Mrs. TM and wake her up to the situation that could occur in the very near future (and resultant expenses and even bans). Also thanks to LKV. Anyway a lot to digest and plan for. Happy times in Cambodia OP... bit more expensive than the LOS but a little less stressful and extortionate, cheers, TM

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2018 at 3:01 PM, Wang Lalker said:

was thinking of coming after songkran but will delay further until these type of reports are past history. immig. definitely dont like me either through no fault of mine

snuck in 30 day visa exempt while no one was looking. no fuss no drama no cash show required, and staff were pleasant and helpful. quite a contrast to my recent previous encounters

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-04-14 at 10:27 AM, Polaky said:

Seems rather harsh, suvarnabhumi   is not as stern as don muang, there has to be a reason other than the tuktuk.

Hmmm, could it be being black while driving   (they might accept touristy picture from a white person - but this is doing a job that a Thai can do)  :shock1:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Thai Immigration just doing racial profiling - rightfully so? I think yes, as we know who's trouble back home.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, IsaanFam said:

So Thai Immigration just doing racial profiling - rightfully so? I think yes, as we know who's trouble back home.

the guy is white with US passport

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

O face it he had to many 30 day entries in a short period of time. He should have gotten a tourist visa along the way and no problem. If a few of you have not noticed Thailand is cracking down on entries that maybe are being used to work here. I know it is hard for a few of you to except the fact Thailand has started the crack down a few years ago and it has not stopped

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2018 at 4:41 AM, gaff said:

And no, before anyone assumes anything, I don't have the hippie or disheveled look. Didn't arrive barefoot if that's what you're thinking too. 

8 hours ago, Wang Lalker said:
On 4/15/2018 at 3:01 PM, Wang Lalker said:

was thinking of coming after songkran but will delay further until these type of reports are past history. immig. definitely dont like me either through no fault of mine

snuck in 30 day visa exempt while no one was looking. no fuss no drama no cash show required, and staff were pleasant and helpful. quite a contrast to my recent previous encounters

 

oh before anyone assumes anything, I  have perfected my  hippie or disheveled look to a tee. Didn't arrive barefoot if that's what you're thinking.but had my well worn flip flop sandals on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Wang Lalker said:

oh before anyone assumes anything, I  have perfected my  hippie or disheveled look to a tee. Didn't arrive barefoot if that's what you're thinking.but had my well worn flip flop sandals on

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/opinion/2018/05/11/opinion-when-in-rome-or-bangkok-dress-the-part/

 

For our visiting friends puzzled by or indifferent to this, allow me to voice some Thai sentiments. Outward appearance for a Thai is extremely important. This is how Thais think when confronted with such low-end tourists dressing disrespectfully. It’s acceptable to dress as described when you are in Pattaya or Koh Samui, complete with a beer cooler in one hand and a holiday partner in the other. But city life is another matter.

We are highly concerned about our appearance. It defines who we are in our class hierarchy. Observe the 7am public transport scene on either a local bus or the BTS: office workers dressed immaculately, both men and women equally fashionable. In the evening time, inside low-end street bars, local restaurants or high-end fancy hotels find much the same: We are a nation proud of our style and fashion.

Edited by Tony125
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tony125 said:

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/opinion/2018/05/11/opinion-when-in-rome-or-bangkok-dress-the-part/

 

For our visiting friends puzzled by or indifferent to this, allow me to voice some Thai sentiments. Outward appearance for a Thai is extremely important. This is how Thais think when confronted with such low-end tourists dressing disrespectfully. It’s acceptable to dress as described when you are in Pattaya or Koh Samui, complete with a beer cooler in one hand and a holiday partner in the other. But city life is another matter.

We are highly concerned about our appearance. It defines who we are in our class hierarchy. Observe the 7am public transport scene on either a local bus or the BTS: office workers dressed immaculately, both men and women equally fashionable. In the evening time, inside low-end street bars, local restaurants or high-end fancy hotels find much the same: We are a nation proud of our style and fashion.

 

Like the guy in every soi with his t-shirt high showing his belly.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

interesting that some of the richest people on the planet have a dress sense similar to mine >>

IMG_0271-Edit.jpg

Quote

Chris Wanstrath (left), Github CEO and co-founder; Nat Friedman, Microsoft corporate vice president, Developer Services; Satya Nadella, Microsoft CEO; and Amy Hood, Microsoft Chief Financial Officer.

want to see how rich they are follow this link

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-04/github-billionaires-will-own-more-microsoft-stock-than-its-ceo

 

Edited by Wang Lalker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Wang Lalker said:

interesting that some of the richest people on the planet have a dress sense similar to mine >>

IMG_0271-Edit.jpg

want to see how rich they are follow this link

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-04/github-billionaires-will-own-more-microsoft-stock-than-its-ceo

 

And ?  They are tech nerds and they are in a casual setting. We have not said that one needs to wear a tux or suit and tie everywhere but to dress appropriately for the situation And for rich types like these I am sure would get a pass just like Red Bull heir and many actors/actress hi-so's get when they have an accident or go somewhere. Below is  same girl but different setting.

 

aaa.jpg

abcd1.JPG

Edited by Tony125

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thing is this i have far more in common with these megarich "tech nerds" than i do with wannabe pretenders with no money like you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 24 September 2018 20:09
Sponsors
×