Happy Grumpy

How to Book? Need hotels with plug-in internet around Thailand.

Thanks very much for all the info.

These packages look good.

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/4g-non-stop.html

But just finding out how much one uses, before it is capped down to almost nothing. For example, "4G/3G at maximum speed of 100Mbps, after reach 1.2 GB, able to use internet at maximum speed of 384Kbps. Valid 24 Hrs. "

Is there a way to test or see how much of the 1.2GB I am using? How much would one typically use on say a 1 hour skype video call?

Thanks. 

Posted (edited)

perhaps judge by how much video you can get from a 700MB CD?
there will be numbers you sms to get your remaining allocation

Edited by Wang Lalker

Thanks.

I just downloaded Glasswire bandwidth tracker, which looks good for seeing how much would be used.

I believe majority of higher end hotels have LAN in each room. In the past couple years, so far I had stayed at Le Méridien Bangkok, Le Méridien Chiang MaiHilton Pattaya , Renaissance Phuket. They all had LAN in the rooms that I stayed, but never used it. I always use wifi.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

How is this different to just connecting via WiFi?

Serious question. Thanks. Cable connection is an office stipulation, WiFi not allowed. 

As they will never know, you do what you want and forget their stupid request.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, gaff said:

As they will never know, you do what you want and forget their stupid request.

They will know if the Wifi connection is crap, and start inquiring as to where my location is (it will be visually different on the video streams) and what is my internet connection info. 

• Haha 1

Honestly, I think it would be difficult to find accommodation with fixed wire Interned connection, almost everywhere it's WiFi.

However, as others has suggested, a 4G router that you can connect with a wire. AIS, and probably also other providers, has one for around 2,500 baht excluding subscription and extra traffic; but check availability and speed for the locations you have in mind to stay. The map here might give you an idea...:smile:

• Thanks 1

^ Thanks very much. That map is perfect. :)

Interestingly enough Glasswire shows that a conference video call used less bandwidth than watching youtube. Which seemed a bit odd.

Looks like a 4G dongle into my laptop would work, with a 49thb 1.2Gb daily package from Dtac. 

Thanks for the help. 

On 16/04/2018 at 10:19 PM, Happy Grumpy said:

Serious question. Thanks. Cable connection is an office stipulation, WiFi not allowed. 

Ah a corporate security requirement. To be honest wired internet in hotel rooms is quite scarce nowadays. WiFi networks are much cheaper to install.  I would expect using your phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot and a VPN service to cover the security concerns. You may be forced to only connect in a hotel with executive / office facilities where wired connection can be found....

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

They will know if the Wifi connection is crap, and start inquiring as to where my location is (it will be visually different on the video streams) and what is my internet connection info. 

You mean like going back to the old fashioned wired arrangement where you had your own ADSL modem and plugged it into the telephone socket, even wire can be crap. Location is a separate issue and applicable to both WIFI or LAN.

I have been in many hotels even fairly good ones where the WIFI has been almost unusable, for some reason I always seem to get a room right at the end of the corridor.  As has been suggested your best bet is to use your phone as a hotspot and get a VPN. I do not have data on my phone so when we are out I use my laptop with my wife's phone and it works fairly well.

• Like 1

What kind of mbps d/l speed can one typically get on a 4G connection using a Dongle, if around one of the main hotspots on that map of Thailand and not off in a jungle camp?

Thanks.

Posted (edited)
On 4/16/2018 at 11:19 PM, Happy Grumpy said:

Your office should arrange it then. It's a daft idea..and impossible...or just buy or , they buy, a local data sim card. Whenever I travel I buy a local sim card with internet/data ..I Never rely on Wifi. I always use a VPN when using wifi.

Edited by The manic

Posted (edited)

was thinking if you need to buy a dongle for 4g why not just get a cheap 4g phone this one currently at ฿539.00 neeed to check that you can wire connect it and that its unlocked or look for similar elsewhere

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/true-super-4-2-4g-wifi-20gb-120-i154625717-s182277533.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.7.54bd13ddLg1frX&search=1

Edited by Wang Lalker
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Wang Lalker said:

was thinking if you need to buy a dongle for 4g why not just get a cheap 4g phone this one currently at ฿539.00 neeed to check that you can wire connect it and that its unlocked or look for similar elsewhere

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/true-super-4-2-4g-wifi-20gb-120-i154625717-s182277533.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.7.54bd13ddLg1frX&search=1

is it second hand ?