loginwith

Flight from Suvarnabhumi 4am on Apri 19 ...

Posted (edited)
On 4/17/2018 at 5:31 PM, NanLaew said:

and in about 18 years of going to Suvarnabhumi airport

Wasn't opened until 2006......sorry Jimster, you got there before me.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, jimster said:

Suvarnabhumi airport hasn't been open that long yet. It was opened in Sep 2006 so around 11.5 years.

Good catch.

So in the remaining 6.5 years of to/from Don Muang, I had NO issues.

Do we see a trend here?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Good catch.

So in the remaining 6.5 years of to/from Don Muang, I had NO issues.

Do we see a trend here?

Many foreigners tend to greatly over-exaggerate when it comes to Thai traffic issues and suggestions in getting to the airport in Bangkok. They even go so far as to suggest getting to the airport a ridiculous number of hours before your flight departs just in case of a once in a blue moon accident that blocks the entire 4 lanes of a motorway like the Bangkok-Pattaya motorway.

Unlike in China where an entire road is blocked in the event of a big accident forcing traffic to wait for hours until they complete their investigations or whatever they do at the scene of an accident, the first priority of Thai police is to keep traffic flowing so within minutes, at least one lane or detour is made to allow traffic to flow.

Glad you have put some sense into this discussion - for a 4am flight coming from Pattaya I would aim to arrive at the airport around 2-2.30am, unless I had lounge access due to being a business class passenger or having Gold member frequent flyer status, in which case I'd aim to arrive around 3 hours before the flight departure. If you're starting from Pattaya and using the motorway to get to the airport, 2 hours is plenty of time, usually it doesn't take more than 1.5 hours. Delays at that time of night are very rare. However, most people would probably choose to stay somewhere closer to the airport unless they live in Pattaya and have reliable transport to get to the airport at that time of night.

Each to their own about how they make plans to catch flights but if you know Thailand well it should be a piece of cake estimating how much time is needed.

Personally I like the lowest stress option so a 4am flight is out of the question as that's about the most ridiculous time for a flight I could think of (who comes up with such schedules?) I guess it also depends on where you're flying to. For a 4am flight it's probably somewhere no one has heard of like Ashgabad (Turkmenistan). Scheduled flights to regional countries like China, Korea and Japan have red eye flights departing between 11pm and 1am and arriving in the early morning.

Bit late now, but going back over ten years ago I wanted to avoid the madness off Songkran, landed BKK on the 18th and over nighted in BKK, intending to leave late afternoon for my place in Jomtien, spoke with tour/travel agent next door to the hotel I was staying at to arrange a car down to Jomtien that evening, this was 11am in the morning, agent said why wait have car, traffic no problem, so midday I was on my way, within 90 minites were were passing the Pattaya city sign, driver first tried to come in via Nakula roads were grid locked then Pattaya Tai, then Phepprasit and eventually drove down to the south of Jomtien, this was long time before Jomtien Second road was built, got on Beach Road heading north, by this time it had been 3 hours since we departed Bangkok, by now my drivers phone was going off constantly, being called all the time as customers were needing pick ups for the airport, we were inching up beach road 4 lanes going north and traffic just got slower and slower, after over two hours on beach road and probably a mile from my destination, I ditched the car and yomped the last mile with all my gear including my dive gear, avoiding buckets of water, half way I soon saw whey beach road had come to a stand still, there was 4 lanes of traffic coming south...

Maybe things are better now with the second road but somehow I doubt it...

The only time I changed my plans an hoteled in Bangkok the night before was April 2009 when the Red Shirts disrupted the Asian summit.

My advice is to leave 2 hours before check-in opens and have travel insurance so if something does happen you should not have to stump up high costs for re ticketing. 

• Like 1

@Basil B:  All it took was one premature return home on the 19th to teach me to wait until *late* evening arrival on the 19th, too.  Luckily my driver was a Pattaya fellow and he knew which back roads to minimize delays.  Minimize, but not eliminate, of course.  I think it only took 2.5 hours, but my neighborhood was still in full Songkran mode, so still, I should have waited.

Also, wasn't it the Yellow Shirts that closed the airport?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wpcoe said:

@Basil B:  All it took was one premature return home on the 19th to teach me to wait until *late* evening arrival on the 19th, too.  Luckily my driver was a Pattaya fellow and he knew which back roads to minimize delays.  Minimize, but not eliminate, of course.  I think it only took 2.5 hours, but my neighborhood was still in full Songkran mode, so still, I should have waited.

Also, wasn't it the Yellow Shirts that closed the airport?

It was not the Airport I was worried about, on the Friday things started to kick of around the hill, it was getting silly, lot of tension so I book a hotel in BKK for Saturday night, after that the summit was abandoned, I had a birds eye view of the  helivac  out of the Royal Cliff down to Satihipp,when I get to BKK the Red Shirts had returned, nothing funny about a thug with red tee shirt, black berry and a base ball bat standing outside a skytrain station.