webfact

"We're all going on a thieving holiday" - trader in Krabi offers 5,000 baht for Russians' capture

On 4/17/2018 at 8:18 AM, dictater said:

Before smart phones, most Thais, and especially market traders, wouldn't have anything of value to steal out in the open. Technology has created a level line across all cultures. If your going to spend that much on a phone you damned well better keep your eye on it. 

well that's kind of true but i keep hearing of foreigners nowadays getting caught for general theft too, shoplifting in the malls and stuff like that and no doubt these market traders have goods they are selling stolen too which is probably why she has the camera there. i have to say for general thefts like that i'd be more wary of foreigners than thais too. thais at least where i am often leave phones and laptops unattended in front of their houses as they know they won't be touched. if someone does steal and they are caught it's massive shame and they would be forced to leave the area so just not worth it. i do note that the perps in most thefts i hear about do seem to come from the same bunch of countries which i'll refrain from pointing out. you'd rarely see people from those countries (or backgrounds) in thailand 20 years ago which is why i think it really didn't used to happen very often in the past

On 4/17/2018 at 4:05 PM, cycolista said:

Why doesn't she just use the "Find my iPhone" function on the Apple website?  It'll show her exactly where the iPhone is.

I don't find it to be "exactly".   Do you?

On 4/17/2018 at 10:05 AM, edwinchester said:

In for a nice surprise at Swampy on the way home if they make it that far.

And maybe dump enough to have it still on them.

On 4/19/2018 at 5:23 PM, izh said:

Update - police caught them:

http://www.tnews.co.th/index.php/contents/442148

Was probably wise off the shop owner to give a 5000 reward, police acted quickly. Can't make up the article, "Accidentally stolen iPhone X" :cheesy:

I have to admit I'm an Apple hater, but 47K for an IPhone X is that the price?? 

However, extort as much money out of those scum Russians as possible, so you're sure they'll wont be back.