BANGKOK 20 October 2018 17:18
webfact

Arabs have 300,000 baht stolen from the safe - hotel gives them 5,000 baht compensation

Arabs have 300,000 baht stolen from the safe - hotel gives them 5,000 baht compensation

3pm.jpg

Thai Channel 7 TV reported on a story of two safes being removed from two hotel rooms in the Sukhumvit area of Bangkok last Friday.

A total of 300,000 baht was missing along with passports and documents.

But the hotel were only obliged to give the victims 5,000 baht in compensation according to the law.

The rest would be up for discussion, said Channel 7.

Lumpini police are on the case studying CCTV.

There was no forced entry to the rooms but both safes were ripped out and removed.

The occupants - tourists from the United Arab Emirates - were due to leave Thailand yesterday but have delayed their departure pending the resolution of the case.

As is usual in such cases, the hotel concerned was not named.

Source: Channel 7 TV

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-04-18
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you have insurance your valuables should be locked in the safe..and you should then be able to claim,if you take your valuables with you and you are robbed you have nothing to come.......:whistling:

• Like 1

Just now, impulse said:

In theory, but how do you prove you put 300,000 baht cash, a 30,000 baht IPhone and a 500,000 baht Rolex in the safe?

Where else should you leave your valuables then? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And if it operates by numbered buttons you can find many cases where hotel staff have used a specific type of paper to collect the oil from fingertips to indicate which buttons have most recently been used. From there they try various configurations of the 4 (?) buttons until they crack the password code.

10,000 possible combinations for 4 digit lock. You'd want to be patient.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Where else should you leave your valuables then? 

That's the $64,000 question.   Mostly, I leave everything I don't need at home. 

But that leaves me with my passport, a few thousand $ USD emergency cash, and a laptop -at the least.  I keep the $$$ stashed inside the lining of my carry on, where someone has to make same effort to find it and steal it, but that's not much better than hiding it between the mattresses (though I'd never forget it stashed in my carry-on, while I am subject to lapses in memory if I were to hide it anywhere in the room, including the safe). 

The point is that there is nowhere you can really secure your valuables when traveling.  (Unless you can leave them in your jet on the tarmac- and even then...)  Best to leave them behind unless you need them.

Edited by impulse