BANGKOK 20 October 2018 18:50
oilinki

Power saving while tethering internet connection using mobile phone

Posted (edited)

I have been out of electricity for the past 4-5 days and am not sure when I'll get my power back. This is a bit special situation, but the knowledge would be handy during traveling, when opportunities for charging laptop battery are limited.

I'm using mobile internet connection. Now I wonder which is more power effective way to connect my laptop (Macbook air) to get the internet connection. My main aim is to use as little battery life on my laptop. I have a USB powerbank to charge the mobile phone. I also keep my phone on airplane mode when I'm not using the internet. 

1) Connect using bluetooth tethering 

2) Connect using Wifi tethering

3) Connect using USB-tethering.

Connection using bluetooth and wifi tethering allows me to power and charge the phone from the usb-powerbank. 

Connection using usb-tethering powers the phone from my laptop, but I don't waste extra energy for bluetooth/wifi connection.

Any ideas or practical knowledge? 

.. and I'm on my way to charge my laptop and powerbank at the neighbouring hotel, once again :)

Edited by oilinki

I think the USB option is likely best, you can disable WiFi and Bluetooth on both the phone and lappie to save that extra watt or two and not carrying the power bank when traveling may be good. That said, if you get the chance to do some comparisons it may be useful in future.

Why is your juice off? Chance of running an inverter from the car or bike?

• Like 2

Thanks. I'm also thinking the USB option might be the best. I have already turned the wifi off from both devices. I still need to have bt on on my laptop to connect to bt-keyboard.

I can't do a good comparison as my usage varies. I put all the radios etc off when watching movies in the night. 

There was a major breakage of power next to my home. I'm thinking of getting an larger solar panel to charge my laptop, but it depends how long it takes to get my power back.

I already have a old 5W solar panel for an emergency light :) The big deal is the hot nights, which would require a fan.. and that means big solar panels and large enough batteries. Cold box has been my fridge for the time being. Jungle life offers opportunities to learn how to survive in various situations :)

One of the little suitcase generators may be a cheaper / better option than solar. Will run everything you need (not aircon of course).

It's amazing how little power you can get away with as opposed to no power at all, even 500W will make life comfortable.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Crossy said:

One of the little suitcase generators may be a cheaper / better option than solar. Will run everything you need (not aircon of course).

It's amazing how little power you can get away with as opposed to no power at all, even 500W will make life comfortable.

Then you're also ready for the zombie apocalypse.  Until they hear the engine running...  Or your neighbors hear it.  But I think the zombies will get there before your neighbors can steal your genset.

On a more serious note, I like solutions like this that solve the problem at hand AND prepare you for future emergencies.  Other, niftier looking solutions that may meet your current needs may be one-trick-ponies.  Or be useless at night.

Edited by impulse

21 minutes ago, impulse said:

Then you're also ready for the zombie apocalypse.  Until they hear the engine running...  Or your neighbors hear it.  But I think the zombies will get there before your neighbors can steal your genset.

We survived 6 months with no mains power during the mega-flood in 2012. Ran two apartments off a 1.5kVA Honda genset.

We now have a 6kVA KwaiThong set up for full auto start, it was the replacement for the Honda when it stopped. Honda now repaired and running the restaurant lights.

Unfortunately if we have a long failure in the evening the zombies neighbours wander over to watch our TV and drink my beer :sad:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Unfortunately if we have a long failure in the evening the zombies neighbours wander over to watch our TV and drink my beer 

I know it's off topic, but I get a kick out of the preppers who think they'll be unmolested when they're the only people on the block with power, water and food when "SHTF".  My list of survival equipment:  Antibiotics and ammo.  Because people will trade ANYTHING they have for antibiotics if their loved ones need them.  And the ammo?  That's just to protect my antibiotics.

But you get what I'm saying.  If the OP just comes up with an ingenious way to charge his laptop and smartphone that doesn't have the flexibility of a genset (or solar system with a lot of storage), he'll wish he'd bought a genset when the zombies eat through the neighborhood wiring.

BTW, for anyone reading in, how is that KwaiThong working?  Would you recommend the brand?

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Crossy said:

We survived 6 months with no mains power during the mega-flood in 2012. Ran two apartments off a 1.5kVA Honda genset.

We now have a 6kVA KwaiThong set up for full auto start, it was the replacement for the Honda when it stopped. Honda now repaired and running the restaurant lights.

Unfortunately if we have a long failure in the evening the zombies neighbours wander over to watch our TV and drink my beer :sad:

Just use some of the power to electrify a fence.. that would keep the zombies eh.. neighbors out. 

56 minutes ago, impulse said:

..I get a kick out of the preppers who think they'll be unmolested when they're the only people on the block with power, water and food when "SHTF". 

Ahh the fallout shelters.. built by the smart, inhabited by the strong.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

What is suitcase generator? I went to look for possible ways to get electricity. 

Solar panels were sold out at Phuket's only Amorn. They only had 120W panel, which is too much for my temporary use. 

Smallest and cheapest generator was 800W for 5500 baht. I'm not keen of having one temporary toy in my home. How much generators consume gasoline?

Now if there only would be some small fuel cells, which could use normal cooking gas, that would be nice. Preferably one with integrated batteries and inverter to fill up the batteries when required.. or a nuclear battery, but those might not be available in open market :)

My home electricity usage has been about 40-50 kWh/month for some time. Very little. 

For zombie apocalypse, I'll simply learn how to make alcohol and threaten to burn impulse's bunker with Molotov's cocktails, unless he donates his antibiotics to me ;)

1 minute ago, oilinki said:

Smallest and cheapest generator was 800W for 5500 baht. I'm not keen of having one temporary toy in my home. How much generators consume gasoline?

For that price it would be a two-stroke engine, quiet but a bit thirsty. Probably going to burn 1L of 50-1 mix per hour.

Something like this:-

Lingben-Recoil-Start-Hot-Sale-800w-950.jpg

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Lingben-Recoil-Start-Hot-Sale-800w_60612829663.html

If you have one of these run it dry by turning off the fuel and drain the tank before putting it in storage.

• Like 1

You can get 4-stroke versions of the same beast, more expensive but burn less fuel and they're not so fussy about storage.

Hot-sale-honda-copy-800W-portable-inverter.jpg

Our rather larger one gets run once a month for an hour or so to charge the battery and circulate the fuel a bit, but no need to run it dry when finished.

Using the USB in theory would use less power but it will also drain the laptop battery as it will try to charge the phone battery... You might invest in a cheap usb hotspot dongle that you can put your phone sim into to provide internet

You might look at a larger power bank...

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/orico-100w-50000mah-3-charging-system-ac-220v-dc-qc30-outdoor-ups-powerbank-3-ac-220v-dc-usb-qc30-50000-mah-i114860789-s119025450.html?spm=a2o4m.pdp.recommendation_2.2.1d9a47166ydt9A&mp=1&scm=1007.16389.99110.0&clickTrackInfo=4c3ea584-16fc-4af2-ab5a-5d60c5091998__114860789__6892__1

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Our rather larger one gets run once a month for an hour or so to charge the battery and circulate the fuel a bit, but no need to run it dry when finished.

And this reminded me to top up the tank, we've had a couple of long cuts this last week.

The problem with any battery based system is that they have a finite run time and once the battery is empty that's that, recharge required. They're great for a (very) few hours occasionally.

A generator, even a baby one, will run for as long as you can give it fuel. Ours will run for about 15 hours on a tank and we always have at least enough fuel in stock for another tank full. So we're good for > 24 hours without power, if it looks like a longer cut it's off to the nearest open garage.

Posted (edited)

If you like where you are and want to invest I would get a hybrid inverter and a few deep cycle batteries as a backup system that could run you basic electric needs (computer, lifghts refrigerator & fan)

Basic System 30k baht...

3k Hybrid Inverter - This will provide 3k watts to your house (via battery bank) and when power comes back on it acts to recharge the batteries - and you could add solar panels (but not required)

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/new-3kva-24v-input-and-220v-output-pure-sine-wave-hybrid-solar-inverter-built-in-pwm-solar-charge-controller-for-home-use-ps-3k-intl-i142139955-s163618681.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.11.785f5358VAr3At&search=1

Deep Cycle Batteries - I would get two 12v and configure them to 24v

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/applegreen-battery-gel-deep-cycle-12v120ah-solar-cell-solar-panel-recharge-battery-electric-i145224726-s167862220.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.3.6e75214456KBtX&search=1

Solar Panels - Not required but advisable buy couple of these...

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/325-i200417909-s300686961.html?spm=a2o4m.pdp.recommendation_1.1.449a26c5QZfgPA&mp=1&scm=1007.16389.99110.0&clickTrackInfo=ceace8a4-eae2-49d1-8100-515ad7e6c97f__200417909__3933__1

85EA3BF3-EB4B-4505-819F-0190E90E42DC.jpeg

Edited by sfokevin