Jump to content
BANGKOK 15 October 2018 16:27
wgdanson

Kids Driving Motorbikes

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

The Nanny State Control Freaks are loose here these days. We fit in with Thai Ways. Westerners are bloody useless drivers in general here.They know the safety side is bad, in all aspects,yet drive as if there in their homeland. Fit in, shut up, and enjoy being here.Or at least just moan about the awfull Hotel Breakfast Buffets like i do..:partytime2:

Yeah, stick your head in the sand and just hope you don't die on the road.

Great advice.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not just Thai parents. I took a one year break from Thailand in 2016 and upon my return I noticed a lot more foreigners without helmets. I noticed many farang dads taking their kids to school 3 up no helmets.

what a way to educate your kids, NOT! 

Also foreign teachers coming to school on motorbikes helmet less. Big no-no in my books.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thai's will never comply fully to road traffic laws ....... fact. Mum's & Dad's allow kids to ride motorcycles to go to school ..... how else do they get there? Not all Mum's & Dad's drive their kids to school ..... if they did we would not see 4 kids on one bike in the mornings & afternoons at peak travel times .... fact. I cringe every day seeing these kids taking risks in conjested traffic.  I've seen some "Yellow" school buses around. I wonder what schools operate these ...... possibly private one's, but it's not a very common sight. Mostly schools have large carparks to accommodate all the bikes used daily by students ..... all jointly owned by student's families ..... fact. The government here acknowledge the problem, but nothing is ever done or they just pay it "lip service" for a while until it goes away. There are no public or school bus services to take kids to school, which I think is something the government should be doing ........... but it's like waiting for paint to dry ........ Taking care of future generations is so important, but it will never be seen as a priority here ........ sad.  

Edited by Daveyh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

Yeah, stick your head in the sand and just hope you don't die on the road.

Great advice.

 

No young man, when in a War Zone, react accordingly, the other side dont want your oppinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I understand your question, your only concern is that kids who drive a motobike/car without having the legal age are not insured and in case of an accident you would not be able to claim a damage.

Lowering the age of which the kids would be legal to drive is IMHO not the correct way to go for many reasons.

In my country, parents are required by law to sign for a family insurance.
This insurance covers acts like:
- Accidents caused by domestic animals.
- Accidents caused by negligance (eg. falling tree branches, oil spill on the patio, etc.).
- Accidents caused by children (riding skateboard, riding roller skates, riding bybicycle, etc.)
Etc.
The meaning of this insurance is to cover ther parents (who are responsable for their kids and their property) for accidents which would otherwise send them into poverty.

This is IMHO a far better aproach, but if Thailand is ready for such an insurance is unsure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do they take the number plates off the motorbikes, if you have a accident with one what do you photograph for insurance ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Well  improve your own pooe driving habits , treat them all as bad, preempt them and stop swerving around as if your a Kid.

 

Easier said than done...  Pre-empting the idiotic manoeuvres of motorcyclists in Thailand still results in daily emergency braking to avoid them.

 

Pretty much each and every day I consider I have saved a motorcyclist from injury by emergency braking... If we were to pre-empt the motorcyclist pulling out in front of me at each and every side Soi I would have to stop for each and every side soi....  You can throw words such as pre-empt, predict etc out there all you like, however, preempting the galactic stupidity and dangerous nature of some of the riders is unpractical as you'd have to come to a halt whenever near a motorcycle and even then I'm sure one would still manage to hit you !!!

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

 

Easier said than done...  Pre-empting the idiotic manoeuvres of motorcyclists in Thailand still results in daily emergency braking to avoid them.

 

Pretty much each and every day I consider I have saved a motorcyclist from injury by emergency braking... If we were to pre-empt the motorcyclist pulling out in front of me at each and every side Soi I would have to stop for each and every side soi....  You can throw words such as pre-empt, predict etc out there all you like, however, preempting the galactic stupidity and dangerous nature of some of the riders is unpractical as you'd have to come to a halt whenever near a motorcycle and even then I'm sure one would still manage to hit you !!!

 

 

 

 

Crafty evasive middle class retort, no Cigar!. Bkk driving requires a different approach to say Suphanbury, where 159 seems to be minimum limit like Bkk to Pats motorway, Issarn. well, thats pot luck if nothing hits you Central Thai are generally quite reasonable drivers. Bu what do i know, only been here 30 years driving 50K PA round my franchises.Dont have an attitude here,  be careful fit in and pray if you do so..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

No young man, when in a War Zone, react accordingly, the other side dont want your oppinion.

 

From your comments in this thread, I can understand why the 'other side' as you call them don't want your opinion. Firstly you refer to Thai's as 'the other side' and not, us, as in part of a community within which you live.

 

And no, Thailand is not a 'war zone' that comment is, well, for want of a better description is just daft...

 

Have a discussion with any well educated Thai, their opinions are very similar and critical discussions nearly always draw the same conclusions....

 

 

 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, transam said:

As a kid in 1950's England my dad had the only car in the street which he used for work

And he let me sit on his knee to drive it !!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

As I understand your question, your only concern is that kids who drive a motobike/car without having the legal age are not insured and in case of an accident you would not be able to claim a damage.

Lowering the age of which the kids would be legal to drive is IMHO not the correct way to go for many reasons.

In my country, parents are required by law to sign for a family insurance.
This insurance covers acts like:
- Accidents caused by domestic animals.
- Accidents caused by negligance (eg. falling tree branches, oil spill on the patio, etc.).
- Accidents caused by children (riding skateboard, riding roller skates, riding bybicycle, etc.)
Etc.
The meaning of this insurance is to cover ther parents (who are responsable for their kids and their property) for accidents which would otherwise send them into poverty.

This is IMHO a far better aproach, but if Thailand is ready for such an insurance is unsure.

But would that cover an under-age kid driving the 'family'motorbike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Noticable that your only concern was about  the damage that could be done to your pick up....no worries for the damage the kid could sustain?

Correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

 

From your comments in this thread, I can understand why the 'other side' as you call them don't want your opinion. Firstly you refer to Thai's as 'the other side' and not, us, as in part of a community within which you live.

 

And no, Thailand is not a 'war zone' that comment is, well, for want of a better description is just daft...

 

Have a discussion with any well educated Thai, their opinions are very similar and critical discussions nearly always draw the same conclusions....

 

 

 

That reply was aimed at a Puppy, more in annoyance than worth. Correct as you are about Educated Thais, but one has to work with Materials Available, and thats limited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

That reply was aimed at a Puppy, more in annoyance than worth. Correct as you are about Educated Thais, but one has to work with Materials Available, and thats limited.

1

 

Oh... you left the door wide open there...  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sponsors
×