Jump to content
Planned Temporary Forum Outage Friday 18th January from 21:00 Read more... ×
BANGKOK 18 January 2019 14:48
notrub

choose a new laptop 15 to 20,000 THB (or more?)

Recommended Posts

I am looking to improve my existing Asus laptops and want to find Asus or Acer brands if poss.  I am not a gamer so I get confused by all the focus on gaming etc..

 

I would like a 1TB hard drive with plenty of usb sockets and sd card reader.  Good fast but not ott processor.  14 or 15 inch is OK as I mostly use this one hooked yo to a 32 " monitor and rarely take it out of the house.  Backlit keyboard would be nice but not essential. Good music player is important and wifi connectivity is essential. I see Asus still offers 2 year guarantee but read that their support stinks. I am not waiting for some earth shattering improvement so a 'not the latest model' could be OK for the right price.   Price is important but not at the expense of choosing the correct PC. I also have an asus tablet/reader that works OK so I am kind of leaning in that brand direction but could change.  Also where to buy?  Lazada seems to have the best prices but not always.  I buy a lot from them and have few complaints.

 

Any comments or suggestions welcome and thank you in advance.  Thanks for taking the time to read this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's wrong with your current laptop? Perhaps stating what you have will allow people to compare....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion the most important thing you can do is buy a notebook with a SSD. Or if you buy one with a HDD replace it with the SSD.

That is a night and day difference in performance.

I have a 10 year old ThinkPad with an SSD (a few years old). The big Windows update 1803 was finished within about an hour.

Today I had to install that update on a brand new i7 processor but with a 2TB HDD. After 5 hours the update was still not done.

That gives you an idea about the performance difference.

 

Personally I have very good experience with ThinkPad notebooks (not just the one above). If I would buy a new one and I am on a budget I would buy one for about 30k and replace the HDD with a SSD - easy to do.

If I would be even more on a budget I would buy a 2nd hand ThinkPad (or an older model, sometimes available for a good price online). And again put a SSD inside.

The "new" notebook should have at least 8GB RAM and should have drivers available for Windows 10.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you fixed to using Windows? A different OS might speed up everything by a factor of 2..4. But - as OMF mentions - a switch from HDD to SSD is crucial. Furthermore it saves energy and takes the noise level down, and the machine will run cooler, too. On my notebook (old Compaq CQ58 with Intel I3, 6 MB RAM, 500 GB SSD) I am running Kubuntu 18.04 now, it is a good performer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got an ACER  a year ago and am very happy with it.. mine has 500 G HD.. 8 of Ram and an upgraded graphics card.. cost me about 20,000.. The one in the link I will add has 1 Tera HD & 4 Ram similar price.... I got mine from the local Bannana IT at Tesco..  I haven't had any problems so don't know about servicing.. I had Dell before and would have got another one but their prices have gone up a lot since I bought the last one... ACER is better value, I think.. My ACER came with Windows 10 installed.. up and running.. no problems there either..   I did have problems with the Dell but their servicing was excellent.. I live in an out of the way place but they came to my home and fixed it a quickly as they could..

 

http://shoponline.bananastore.com/product-detail/?productid=92687

Edited by Laza 45
..more information..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Save up and buy a mac. Flaming windows 10 and what they take from you what you do etc. Mac is super fast. Yes not easy at first but use it and ask on your phone hiw to do this and that. There is also office 2016 for mac which i just paid for works fine much better tham mac pages

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two months ago I also had to choose a new laptop. I didn't want to invest 35'000 Baht for an "underspecced" MacBook and I couldn't find anything in Thailand which would please me. I wanted at least 12 MB RAM and and an i7 7500 processor. I found what I wanted on Amazon, an HP brand new 2018 model 15.6". Cost me around 23'000 Baht, including 3 day shipping and 7% VAT. Great machine, good looking in silver, too.  I have replaced the 1TB HD with a 512GB SSD. Blazing fast now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In my opinion the most important thing you can do is buy a notebook with a SSD. Or if you buy one with a HDD replace it with the SSD.

That is a night and day difference in performance.

I have a 10 year old ThinkPad with an SSD (a few years old). The big Windows update 1803 was finished within about an hour.

Today I had to install that update on a brand new i7 processor but with a 2TB HDD. After 5 hours the update was still not done.

That gives you an idea about the performance difference.

 

Personally I have very good experience with ThinkPad notebooks (not just the one above). If I would buy a new one and I am on a budget I would buy one for about 30k and replace the HDD with a SSD - easy to do.

If I would be even more on a budget I would buy a 2nd hand ThinkPad (or an older model, sometimes available for a good price online). And again put a SSD inside.

The "new" notebook should have at least 8GB RAM and should have drivers available for Windows 10.

I would think about buying from one of the Banana outlets, I have just bought my second laptop from them and the service is excellent, 1000 Baht of the price, a free case, and a box of goodies.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I would think about buying from one of the Banana outlets, I have just bought my second laptop from them and the service is excellent, 1000 Baht of the price, a free case, and a box of goodies.

Avoid the one in Patong (Jung Ceylon) - I bought a Toshiba there and they configured it wrongly then, when I tried to get them to fix it the guy suddenly lost the ability to speak English and walked away. 

 

That said, I then took it to Banana in Pantip Plaza and they fixed it quickly and free of charge - with an apology for their Phuket branch's behaviour.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your thoughts and comments.  SSD is as costly as some computers, just for the drive.  I don't see any 1TB SSD drives online (Lazada) so don't know where to start with that.

 

Second thing is about an optical disc drive.  I think that means a dvd player and I never use them.  The space (in the machine) and cost of a dvd drive rules that out for me.  Or am I missing something and should have one on my new device?  I would like lots of usb type connectors and an sd card reader, however.

 

My friend Patrick at Baan computers on Koh Phangan said removing a dvd player gives room for a supplementary SSD.  I live in Isaan now and so cannot stop by for a chin wag with him about all his stuff.

 

I am tempted by a 14,000 THB 14" (Asus?) and also a 22,000 THB 15"  from Acer.  I am not a power user and the 2 Asus laptops are just getting a little long in tooth.  X200 MA and a little x205 TA.

 

While we are at it, I use 1TB ext drives from Transcend for movies and have had a few problems.  Any thoughts on other brands.

 

I have only been looking on Lazada and could use some advice for different sources for safe online shopping.  (BTW steer clear of Gearbest, TopTom (or TomTop?) and any affiliates as they are toxic in a big way)

 

Thanks again,  B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, notrub said:

Thank you for your thoughts and comments.  SSD is as costly as some computers, just for the drive.  I don't see any 1TB SSD drives online (Lazada) so don't know where to start with that.

 

Second thing is about an optical disc drive.  I think that means a dvd player and I never use them.  The space (in the machine) and cost of a dvd drive rules that out for me.  Or am I missing something and should have one on my new device?  I would like lots of usb type connectors and an sd card reader, however.

 

My friend Patrick at Baan computers on Koh Phangan said removing a dvd player gives room for a supplementary SSD.  I live in Isaan now and so cannot stop by for a chin wag with him about all his stuff.

 

I am tempted by a 14,000 THB 14" (Asus?) and also a 22,000 THB 15"  from Acer.  I am not a power user and the 2 Asus laptops are just getting a little long in tooth.  X200 MA and a little x205 TA.

 

While we are at it, I use 1TB ext drives from Transcend for movies and have had a few problems.  Any thoughts on other brands.

 

I have only been looking on Lazada and could use some advice for different sources for safe online shopping.  (BTW steer clear of Gearbest, TopTom (or TomTop?) and any affiliates as they are toxic in a big way)

 

Thanks again,  B

 

Hi, I'm buying a lot from Lazada, but didn't find value for money when it comes to laptops. No, you don't need a DVD player, for what? My HP doesn't have one. But it has 3 USB ports, I don't think, ANY laptop has more than three. It also has a back light keyboard. And WIFI, of course. Have you looked at my post? No seller in Thailand can beat what I bought for just 23'000 Baht on Amazon. Yes, Amazon. Jeff Bezos knows how to sell cheap, even to Thailand! I think you can find a 1TB SSD on Lazada (prices are competitive), but why would you want  a 1TB SSD for around 20'000 Baht or more? 512 GB is more than enough. You can hook up an external HD, if you need more space. I have an external 2TB WD HD connected at all times. All sensitive data goes on there.

 

 

 

71xqE4J+zHL._SL1200_.jpg

61Vt36-zcbL._SL1200_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thailand online suppliers are Invade IT and Advice IT (not sure if correct names, but google should pick them up)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just happened to complete a focused search for a new laptop.  The best one out there is the new ASUS - VivoBook, Model ": X540UADS51.  It includes a 1TB Hard Drive and uses Intel Core i5.  It is a 15.6"   and is priced in your/our price range. It was just released by ASUS in March of this year.  That is the computer I just bought 6 hours ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sponsors
×